Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

leak under sink

I have a leak that I cannot find the source under bathroom sink. Any suggestions to finding it? Also, can I just put some marine 5200 sealant around each joint to seal up? I keep my camper in same place all year unless a hurricane is threatening.
Surveyor 32'
redbelly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #2

did you try running the water in sink and looking under ?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #3

Personally, I'd investigate more and try to solve the leak without using any kind of sealant. Leaking fittings can often be fixed by simply tightening or adding some Teflon tape on the threads.

3M 5200 is very permanent, and will make any future repairs nearly impossible without destroying whatever you put it on. If you're going to use any of the 3M sealants, use 4200.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Always Learning

Wrap different areas with toilet paper then use the sink. The toilet paper shows wetness very well and should help you isolate the location.

Don’t use 3M 5200, fix it properly.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Wrap different areas with toilet paper then use the sink. The toilet paper shows wetness very well and should help you isolate the location.

Check to see if the aerator is screwed on correctly. It has an o-ring inside that if not seated properly will allow water to run down inside the spout. This water will collect on the sink shelf below.
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #6

I had a leak under my kitchen sink area that was very hard to figure out. I occasionally would get water on the floor but could not find where it was coming from. Checked drain pipes, checked fittings ( I thought) but could not pin it down. Then I was showing my brother and he saw a little water on the fitting that connects the sink facet to the pex suppy line. These are hand tighten fittings and I just missed it. After about a 1/2 turn on the fitting, it stopped it. I would check for tightness on all those fittings even if you don't obviously see water or feel it on the pipes. Don't get crazy with wrenches, just use your hand to see if all the fittings are at least hand tight. Good luch
Keith
Old 10-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

2X This is the best thing to try first. Get some pipe cleaners at a $1 store to secure the tp or use tape. When you find the leak, hand tighten as others have suggested. Use tools or putty only as a last resort. Teflon tape is preferable to any type of goo.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, sink