Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stg1 View Post
You guys must camp in some uneven places to need two bags. I've used my one bag since 2004 and have only used at most 4 blocks to level a side. I've (broken) only one block because I stupidly used it under my tounge jack without the foot pad and it only put a dent in the center. The block is still usable.

One bag is all I've ever needed, and they are all I use to level. I don't like to have extra things to load into my TV. I don't know about freezing. I'm parked and covered by then.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #22

I've been following this for a bit and have a question, I've looked on the lynx website but can't find any indications of a limit of how high they can be stacked. Has any one seen a limit on height?
Our Sunseeker has about a 17 foot wheelbase so being out of level by a half inch takes a stack 8 high to bring us level. Climbing up the pyramids feels like taking off in a commercial jet
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportracker View Post
I've been following this for a bit and have a question, I've looked on the lynx website but can't find any indications of a limit of how high they can be stacked. Has any one seen a limit on height?
Our Sunseeker has about a 17 foot wheelbase so being out of level by a half inch takes a stack 8 high to bring us level. Climbing up the pyramids feels like taking off in a commercial jet
WHAT??? Lucy, you got some Splaining to do. I am very confused by this post, 1/2 in side to side needs 6 blocks? or are you talking front to back, which still makes no sense to me...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
I've been following this for a bit and have a question, I've looked on the lynx website but can't find any indications of a limit of how high they can be stacked.
On the top of the bag, it says no more than 5" (e.g. 5 blocks).
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

WHAT??? Lucy, you got some Splaining to do. I am very confused by this post, 1/2 in side to side needs 6 blocks? or are you talking front to back, which still makes no sense to me...
I agree! I'm really confused by this.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

Sorry I was unclear there. 17 feet front to back and 1/2 inch per foot
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:

Sorry I was unclear there. 17 feet front to back and 1/2 inch per foot
Sorry, stillconfused. The legos are used for side to side leveling. So if you,re an inch or so out of level on one side you'd only need one block per wheel on the low side.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Sorry, stillconfused. The legos are used for side to side leveling. So if you,re an inch or so out of level on one side you'd only need one block per wheel on the low side.
I think the difference is- with a motorhome (e.g. Sunseeker + wheelbase), you may need to use them for front-to-back leveling, as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I think the difference is- with a motorhome (e.g. Sunseeker + wheelbase), you may need to use them for front-to-back leveling, as well.
don't motorhomes have hydraulics for leveling? I know I've seen some seriously extended automatic levelers.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #30

I've also seen people put 6 or 8 of them under each stabalizer jack, while on relativley flat ground. Why don't they just extend there jacks down closer to the ground?
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #31

I have 2 bags and rarely ever used them as I carried two 2x10s but last summer I used both bags in a campground on the one side to get level. There are a couple of them that are "broken" but still useable. They do sink into the ground.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #32
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
don't motorhomes have hydraulics for leveling? I know I've seen some seriously extended automatic levelers.
All my old timey class 'A' HRC has is two scissor jack stabilizers in the back. As we speak I've got two stacks of lego's two high under the right rear (one stack for each tire) and a stack under both front wheels (two under passenger side and one on the driver's side). And that's in my driveway!
It's a bit of work to figure out what it's going to take to level front to rear then left to right, add it altogether then drive up on it. Especially if you don't have a spotter.
I've definitely got a case of power leveler envy...

I've also broken a few of the blocks on concrete under the MH, but that's from trying to drive up on them and being off center.

@Sportracker - these are much more suitable for your situation. Just search for RV leveling ramps.
Attached Images

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
I've also seen people put 6 or 8 of them under each stabalizer jack, while on relativley flat ground. Why don't they just extend there jacks down closer to the ground?
I used to run my stabs down to a single 2 x 8 pad on the ground, but I was still getting a lot of left/right shake and I fried 2 separate stab motors trying to snug things up tight. I figured that by blocking them up higher I was avoiding over extending the motor (thereby frying them) and I was pleasantly surprised to find my left/right shake was gone too. Might be different with the scissor jacks, but it seems with my electric stabilizers that they work better the less they're put down.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I used to run my stabs down to a single 2 x 8 pad on the ground, but I was still getting a lot of left/right shake and I fried 2 separate stab motors trying to snug things up tight. I figured that by blocking them up higher I was avoiding over extending the motor (thereby frying them) and I was pleasantly surprised to find my left/right shake was gone too. Might be different with the scissor jacks, but it seems with my electric stabilizers that they work better the less they're put down.
That's an interesting point. I can see, geometrically, why there would be more side-to-side stabilization if you don't lower them as far.

Well, I need a second bag anyway . . . . . We have 1 bag/10 blocks; at one Forest Service campground in Arkansas, our site was sloped side to side so badly that I needed 5 blocks on each tandem wheel on the down side. I had to use my bottle jack to get the trailer up on 5 blocks.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #35

WRVOND: your spot-on with your suggestion. I actually have a set of yellow ramps we originally used with our trailer before we moved to the Motorhome. they are good for 4 inches of lift and they still are my first choice since a lot less "engineering" has to go into setting up camp. Some day when my kid's education quits draining the bank account, I intend to look at an auto leveler system
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM   #36
Denver, CO

"That's an interesting point. I can see, geometrically, why there would be more side-to-side stabilization if you don't lower them as far."

You speakith the unassailable truth. Geometry rules the physical universe.

Tags
leveling, lock