Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #1

Question Lighting Magic Chef Oven

Three times camping and I still can't find the place to put the match to light our oven. I have been using wooden matches. Do I need a long tip lighter? The spark ingiter works fine on the top burners. Any suggestions?
carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonman View Post
Three times camping and I still can't find the place to put the match to light our oven. I have been using wooden matches. Do I need a long tip lighter? The spark ingiter works fine on the top burners. Any suggestions?
Get the manuel out and try to see where the directions are referring. If you have the same manuel as I then you will need to turn the book a bit to get the drawing facing in the correct direction. Use a flashlight in the oven to see the placement of the pilot light is located. When you are ready hold the oven knob in while you light the pilot light. Keep holding the knob for a little longer - maybe 20 seconds if you haven't use the oven for a while.

I use one of those long hangle lighters instead of matches.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Trouble lighting the oven.

I always use the butane SCRIPTO lighter for the pilot light in the oven. Requires you to stand on your head, hold a flashlight, hold in the oven "START TO LIGHT" knob, all at the same time while holding the lighter lit
to the pilot. While all this is going, D/W hollering "FOR GODS SAKE, DON'T
BLOW US UP", of course my dear Boykin Spaniel thinks it is time for a good face licking.

Now that is not in the instruction book, but should be!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I always use the butane SCRIPTO lighter for the pilot light in the oven. Requires you to stand on your head, hold a flashlight, hold in the oven "START TO LIGHT" knob, all at the same time while holding the lighter lit
BLOW US UP", of course my dear Boykin Spaniel thinks it is time for a good face licking.

Now that is funny. But not too far from the truth. If you look closely near the back of the burner you will see a hood about 1 inch square with what looks like an orifice. That is the pilot assembly. While pushing in on the burner control set to pilot you use a gas match and hold the flame in there. You may or may not see a poof as the gas ignites. Continue holding the match there for about 30 seconds. Remove the gas match and check to be sure the pilot flame is still burning. Hold for an additional 30 seconds or so and let go of the knob. If the pilot goes out, repeat the process. I have found it best to actually turn the t'stat to 250 or so and let the burner actually light. Turn burner back to pilot and you are set for the weekend.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #5

Quote:

I bought the DW a pair of those rubber knee pads from Lowes to help her with this task, the rest.............. is not in the instruction book and shouldn't be!

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Light the oven.

Knee pads, now that is not a bad idea. How in the world did you get her so well trained? I bet she opens and brings your beer to you while she is trying to light the oven? Is your D/W Bulgarian?

Brit, did you get any damage to the 5ver from the two blow outs you had?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7

All of the above advice, plus - until you get the hang of it, make it a two person job. That way you have one hand for the flashlite, one hand for the butane lighter, one hand for the oven control knob and one hand to fend off the poodle !

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Knee pads, now that is not a bad idea. How in the world did you get her so well trained? I bet she opens and brings your beer to you while she is trying to light the oven? Is your D/W Bulgarian?

Brit, did you get any damage to the 5ver from the two blow outs you had?
Yes but only to the thin Ali sheet behind the rear tire it bent it upwards but did not effect the exterior.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #9

So that's how you light it huh! I always turned the knob waited about 10 minutes and struck the match from the picnic table! Got lit everytime. And the oven too! My wife's idea of a pilot light is turning the key in the ignition and finding a good restaurant.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #10

I haven't been to this thread in quite a while. Thanks to everyone because my wife and I just had our good laugh for the day. Foolish me to think lighting the stove's pilot light would be simple, but like everything in life, things are easier if you know what are doing. Thanks again.
carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #11

last time i lit mine, i turned the knob to pilot and put the lighter under the pilot. did not push the knob. once thermocouple got hot, gas came on and it lit.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven