Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM   #1

Lights at Night - Courtesy

Just a general statement I feel I need to make. We camp to get out of the city, away from street lights and such. We almost always stay at state and national parks for this reason. While I understand the need for lights when people are up and moving around, PLEASE turn off the lights when you go to bed. If you need to have a bit of light, use the yellow porch lights.

We recently were at a Bennett Springs State Park, nice park, very woody, yet hook-ups which was nice in the 95 degree heat. We really enjoyed that even the bathrooms had minimal lighting. Then a large camper/bus pulled in - had one of the cool bucket lights, (I do think they are cool). But it was left on all night! We have a 23 ikss (LOVE by the way) so we can be comfy, yet still get that camping feeling. So while enjoying our tent beds, that light in the next site made it seem like we were camping under a street light.

So the point of my ramble - is COURTSEY people, you are NOT the only one in the campground.
hjznewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #2

At Spring Gulch Campground in New Holland, PA, the seasonal campers are out of control with their lights. I can't believe people put up with it. So many seasonals have every type of solar light known to exist and have strings of lights like Christmas lights surrounding their territory. It is really disgusting. I bet many people don't return to Spring Gulch after their first trip due to this.

Bruce
Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

We don't like to leave a lot of lights on because of how it affects others but also because they can draw bugs. DH installed a solar powered, motion activated light by the front door for when we come home at night and I'm thinking about having him place one on the front and one on the back just so that we have more light when coming back to our rig in the dark. We did leave the awning LED strip on one night (it's not at the edge of the awning but up against the wall of the 5er. It's the factory installed one so it's not really bright. Apologized profusely the next day to our friends who were camped by us (their bedroom faced the front of the awning). She works shifts and has a sleep disorder but she just laughed and said they had their bedroom windows blacked out so we could have had a circus going next door and they wouldn't have known. We have now started a "close up" protocol and one thing is to be sure those lights are off. Don't think we have ever turned on the "scare" lights so don't even know if they work. Don't have any other outside add-on lights as they just aren't needed. We do have some friends that have multi colored, flashing rope lights they use on their rig but they turn them off by 9...that's just their rule. They don't get to use them much during the summer.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

Why tell us. You should have went over and knocked on that guys door and told him. I've left speakers on by accident and had someone come tell me. I thanked him and really was appreciative he did and I also have knocked on someone's door to ask to turn the lights off. I don't think anyone would get offended. Sometimes we just forget.

"Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -Jerry Reed
Pauls Toy Hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #5

I have never ad an issue with lights being on. We mostly stay at National Forest & state Park campgrounds. The sites are usually spaced out well. If someone leaves a light or lights on it doesn't affect me. I have never seen a light on a camper be bright enough to keep me awake at night.
As far as the strings of Christmas lights. The more the merrier. Some people need to lighten up.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #6

Just my 2 cents...
I would also do a courtesy knock politely asking if they would mind turning it off.

I love seeing families out enjoying the camping experiences with young ones.... but it would be good thing to teach the young ones "flashlight educate" when walking around the campgrounds at night.
Having a bright flashlight shone in your eyes while sitting out side enjoying the night sky is a buzz kill....also when a flashlight is panning our campsite when we're inside it makes me think of possible thievery.

Only time we leave any lights on, being the door and step light only, is when we take our dog out for her night walk.

Islander

Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Our awning lights are on the camper wall on a dusk to dawn sensor and are always on all night, but we do dim them to the dimmest setting around 10pm. We also have a US flag that is lighted on a dusk to dawn sensor, but the light is pointed upward toward the flag and the camper. Haven't had anything but positive comments.

I think those that oppose lights should lighten up and close their blinds.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Our awning lights are on the camper wall on a dusk to dawn sensor and are always on all night, but we do dim them to the dimmest setting around 10pm. We also have a US flag that is lighted on a dusk to dawn sensor, but the light is pointed upward toward the flag and the camper. Haven't had anything but positive comments.

I think those that oppose lights should lighten up and close their blinds.
Oh.... just so I have this straight.... just because a fellow camper feels the need to light up his camp area 'all night'...then it is up to me to black out my windows and block out their lights ?

I think those that find it necessary to light up the campground at night 'lighten up' and lights out.
Camper Educate ~ Consideration for others

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Oh.... just so I have this straight.... just because a fellow camper feels the need to light up his camp area 'all night'...then it is up to me to black out my windows and block out their lights ?

I think those that find it necessary to light up the campground at night 'lighten up' and lights out.

Islander
I agree. Probably one of the reasons they don't have street lights in campgrounds. People come to see the sky and enjoy the darkness.
But some believe their lights are their right, then so is my stereo.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Oh.... just so I have this straight.... just because a fellow camper feels the need to light up his camp area 'all night'...then it is up to me to black out my windows and block out their lights ?...Islander
Who do you complain to about a full moon?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

Nothing more obnoxious than those ligh
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Probably one of the reasons they don't have street lights in campgrounds.
Depends on the campground, actually. I can name many off that have street lights.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #13
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I can't see any awning LEDs or yellow porch light being a problem, and if it is than you're probably the type that just needs something to complain about and should buy 5 acres in the woods somewhere so no one can bother you.
But, the scare lights can be annoying if on. They tend to be aimed right at other coaches windows and blare in. Once I realized mine was on because the switches are not labeled and someone turned them on by accident (what are kids for).
If someone's lights are really ruining my camping experience I'd let them know and maybe they don't even know they're on and will turn them off.

With all that said, I asked my wife. She can only recall once where someone's ball lights and parking lights were on all night. Since I didn't remember I asked how did we solve the problem? She said, I closed our shades!
I'm constantly reminding myself different strokes for different folks. Camp on and have fun!
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #14

Quote:

Islander
I think the word you're looking for is etiquette, not educate. Perhaps if you left a few lights on you could see that.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

So this is radically in appropriate?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439844188321.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	85949

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #16

Trying to put the BB gun industry out of business or something???

Yeah, I tend to keep some low glow ground facing lights on around the TT just incase i need to go outside I can still see. Also, nothing worse than walking into a HUGE spider web that miraculously formed in 3 minutes between your RV another RV and a bush.....

oh, and is this in the Tips & Tricks forum because it's a Tip on how to piss off your neigbhor? or a Trick to avoid it

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbs View Post
so this is radically in appropriate?
Attachment 85949

turbs
2011 32bhok sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
disgusting!
lol
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I saw this camper in Goshen last year that had a rotating red light on top of his camper, a laser light show going, and a crystal ball! Talk about obnoxious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
So this is radically in appropriate?
Attachment 85949

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
That looks like the Music rally. I had no problem with that at all. Some people do not go to sleep at sunset. When walking around at 2:00AM it's nice so you don't trip and get hurt. I have 3 scare lights on motion sensors. If my light go's on then you shouldn't be there YOUR TO CLOSE TO MY RENTED SPOT). I was at a CG on the way to Goshen. Had about 10 people very loud, so loud that I forgot and went inside and my speakers were on. They were so loud I couldn't even here it. At about 12:00 PM the party next door broke up. I had a knock at my door saying my radio was still on. I couldn't hear it inside from there loud voices. All I said Thank-you I forgot and turned it off. If you use your speakers outside you can hear them inside, but they were so loud that I couldn't. So look at this with a double edge sword. You want pure dark go to the boondocks.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I saw this camper in Goshen last year that had a rotating red light on top of his camper, a laser light show going, and a crystal ball! Talk about obnoxious!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I remember that.
I even took a picture of the jerk putting it up.
His neighbor had blue lights and a lighted big top.
Just plain obnoxious.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439846528113.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	85954Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439846557817.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	85955Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1439846588608.jpg
Views:	229