Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

May be a preference question, but I'm interested in your input!

My family is fixin to buy our first camper. Looking at a 2012 Canyon cat 15 ud. We have looked at a few different campers, but this is one a friend has. It's super nice (at least from pics) and we know they take care of their stuff.

Anyways, my biggest reservation is the dinet turning into the queen bed. Well I'm not real sure I like this idea. Seems the cushion would slide around under you. Idk. I have thought of just leaving it into a queen bed with a queen memory foam mattress that would stay that way. My thinking is it would be most comfortable for the sleep times and after all, I don't fit too well in tiny tables. We have a 6 ft folding table that would easily tote along and set up outside.

Any thoughts?
ROUGH CUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #2

I looked up the floor plan of this unit and post it below...

hopefully it is the same as you have.

You said family... children? I suspect they will use the bunks.

I would not worry about the convertible table/bed... If you have an awning on the trailer you can always sit under it to eat/relax rather then sit inside. The folding table is what I do... we never eat inside.

I would work on the dinette bed and do whatever you feel is necessary to secure it into a bed only, and yes a foam topper will make it comfortable.

Have fun customizing your new-to-you trailer to make it your own.

If the original tires are still on it, I would change them out now. 5 years is recognized as the max life of a trailer tire... no matter what the tread depth is. Many here on this forum replace with Goodyear Endurance tires, and new steel valve stems. Opinions are all over on brand, but the Endurance is a popular option. And add a TPMS to monitor tire pressure while travelling down the road. Cheap insurance against a possibly damaging blowout.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	196397  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Ultimately, it is personal preference. We went from popup to travel trailer to 5th wheel. Along the way, it was important for us that everyone has a separate sleeping area from the living area.

Others are perfectly fine making up a bed each night.

We had a similar table / bed. As you suspect, the cushions would slide out sometimes. I started using a bed sheet that fixed the problem.

I think if I want with the set up you are proposing, with the table always in bed form, I'd really miss a place to sit inside on miserable days.

All that being said, I'm very happy we got into rv'ing, with any rv. If you can get in at a reasonable price, you can then determine what does and doesn't work for you.

Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:25 PM   #4

you are not sure about the fold down table bed. My advice, get a bigger camper that has a bed/room for you. This camper may be 'the right size', for 'now', but you will be so much happier with something a little bigger. Add one or two more people or your kid(s) grow up a little and you are on top of each other with no room at all.

I speak from experience.

We went from a 22ft to a 27 ft and now have a 35ft with two slides. And we use every bit of room in it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

You may want to go to the Palomino sub-forum and see if someone there has a Canyon Cat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

When my grandson was younger, I take him to kid-friendly campgrounds. He didn't like to sleep in my bed with me, so I made up the dinette as a bed for him. I went out and got a couple folding tv tables, they worked perfectly.
Camping
2017- 27 days,2018- 100 days, 2019- 35 days
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #7

We went and looked at the camper. It was super nice. And in super good shape. It's only sat out in the weather when it's been camped in. Keptin a barn otherwise.

We think it will be a great first camper. We think that making the dinet into a queen bed will suit our needs well. The current owners have put new mattresses in the bunk beds for us already. Has added a second propane tank. It's a really nice deal. We are excited about it. Ready for the weather to warm up!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
you are not sure about the fold down table bed. My advice, get a bigger camper that has a bed/room for you. This camper may be 'the right size', for 'now', but you will be so much happier with something a little bigger. Add one or two more people or your kid(s) grow up a little and you are on top of each other with no room at all.

I speak from experience.

We went from a 22ft to a 27 ft and now have a 35ft with two slides. And we use every bit of room in it.
x2 my experience also
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #9

Not everyone needs a large camper to be happy. My wife and I and 4 daughters traveled for 15 years in a popup. We made memories that we talk about at every family get together. We got on each others nerves once in a while, oh well. We got over it. We sat out by the fire most of the time at night. We hiked during the day. We never had any video games or such. My daughter tells her friends that she "grew up Amish" because we made them stay outside and entertain themselves. My wife and I switched to a TT last year and we are very happy with a Viking 17FQ. We don't need bigger to be happy.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 01:58 AM   #10

Making up & break down of the bed is a personal preference. But, if the option is do that or go without a trailer, make up and break down as needed!

If you asked me a few years ago, I thought trailers were lame and didn't want anything to do with them. Borrowing my parent's trailer for a 3 night trip, my wife and I were hooked. $30k later and we have our mobile vacation home.

If this is your first (or 5th) trailer, enjoy what you have. Making the bed comfortable is all part of the adventure and once you've got it dialed in, there's nothing like waking up in your own bed in a new place.

Sounds like you've got the hook on a good trailer for a family. Use it and enjoy it!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

FYI. you will soon tire of that small trailer with two kids. Been there , Done that.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #12

If you are looking at removing the dinette, you may want to consider building in a convertible futon platform. I did that years ago in a 16' camper and it worked for us, somewhere to sit comfortably if it was raining outside, and easy to lay flat for sleeping. Just a thought for you.

SternHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #13

Ya gotta start somewhere and learning by experience is usually a good idea. Starting with a well maintained indoor stored trailer like this has little financial risk. If it turns out to be too small or sleeping on the dinette proves a hassle you'll have a better idea what to look for in your next camper -- or none at all.

Have a good first season!

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #14

Maybe I misread the OP but I thought he was concerned about the mattress slipping around on the dinette. Use some of this grip stuff under the mattress and it will keep it from slipping around. We use it all over the place - on shelves, between plastic containers, etc. - to keep things from sliding around while we're on the road.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #15

Thanks for the encouraging words. We are a small family with pretty limited money to spend. Single income and I have to work dang hard to stay afloat. The idea to get the camper was to get to spend the limited money and even more limited time together making memories as we try to raise our boys to love the outdoors. I think this will suit us well for now. I love the folding futon idea.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #16

We bought a bunkhouse, but with a 2 and 4 year old the top bunk will be nothing but storage for a couple years. Setting up and taking down the dinette is just one of those camping things. Not a big deal. As far as the cushions sliding around, I've seen a number of people use non-slip drawer liner between the cushions and the table top to keep them from moving.

We went with a murphy bed to maximize space when we need some room on a rainy day. We felt it would be more comfortable for us. The kids can have the dinette.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote