Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Moth Balls Moth Ball everywhere (around every trailer to ground touch point) even inside if you can
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 AM   #22

Moth balls are effective; I drop them in mole tunnels when I encounter one that is irksome - but if there are little kids around, take a miss - they contain a neurotoxin.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #23

I bought one of the ultrasonic plug ins for pests plus, mom has a long hair cat that I have save fur from and put in mesh bags around the holes for the utility chases. And for good measure I set mouse traps. Tried dryer sheets one year but the little Sh**s made a home out of it.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #24

I put fox urine on the tires. Really stinks when I put it on but it's not really a big deal as I do it just before I leave my camp. So far so good.
The moth balls didn't work for us.
Robert
firesheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesheriff View Post
I put fox urine on the tires. Really stinks when I put it on but it's not really a big deal as I do it just before I leave my camp. So far so good.
Robert
How on earth do you encourage a fox to pee on your wheels?

to the forum by the way

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigels View Post
How on earth do you encourage a fox to pee on your wheels?

to the forum by the way

Haven't you heard of the Fox Whisperer?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #27

One buys it in the hunting department at you local retailer (Walmart, usually has it)
It's used as a "cover scent" by hunters.
firesheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesheriff View Post
Robert
I had a lot of problems with a previous Jayco and decided to try cat urine. It's free. We have a couple house cats and I just scoop it out of their litter box and transport it to the storage facility. I scatter it underneath the trailer and around the tires. I also brushed the cats and duct taped their fur underneath. I know it sounds weird and probably the storage lot people don't like it but there have been no signs of mice since. My goal was to discourage them from going around my trailer and check out the other "cat-free" trailers.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #29

This should work good for anybody that can't get out to the rig often to empty and reset those darn traps, plus you won't have to put poison out anymore.

All there is here is a 5 gal. bucket, hole thru both sides of the top with a piece of conduit running thru it, with a plastic water bottle smeared with peanut butter on the conduit, (I will replace that with a piece of PVC just big enough to go over the conduit and spin freely.

There is a small board hooked on the edge of the bucket for the little critters to get up there. Then when they get out on the bottle/PVC, it will spin and down they go into a few inches of water or RV antifreeze . They can't get out) in fact I don't think they swim to good either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mousetrap.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	21593  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #30

Mouse Trap

Iggy, that's the best mouse trap I know of. I use one in the pole barn all the time. It works effectively without fail. No critter problems with this trap set up.
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #31

Iggy

That really gives new meaning to "build a better mouse trap"

Never the less "That" is one GREAT trap!!

Thanks
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #32

MURDERERS!!!!

This is what you need!

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #33

OK linlas13 you had over a week and we wanted to know if you caught those mice yet?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #34
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Cedarcide (http://www.cedarcidestore.com) works for us. Sprinkle the sawdust granules around the perimeter plus a few well placedsachets throughout does the trick. Critters of all stripes can't stand the aroma found in the cedar oils
Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #35

Have Y'all ever thought of what happens to all the poison that is put into the environment with the use of mouse and rat bait?

It doesn't decompose, it usually ends up travelling up the animal food chain, and as it is designed to be a cumulative killer, has also killed cats, raptors, etc.

Another case of man vs. nature with no winner...

Please think about the enviroment and try to limit the use of these toxins. It may be a pet of yours that you save.
2005 Surveyor SV-230
Bennington Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #36
TeresaInCAL

I like those hockey puck traps. You can tell when one is in there, and you just throw it away. You don't have to touch the bodies, let alone see them.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #37

It has been almost a week since we put the cover on it and put it away for the winter. I have only checked it once since then and so far so good. Right now we have moth balls, balsam balm and peppermint oil in different places scattered around the interior.Also we have placed two traps that once they go in they can's go out. Under the camper outside we have mothballs. I am going to check it once a week throughout the winter.
linlas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
Commercial Member

I think those are some great ideas. It seems that a lot of the vulnerability is found where appliance or outside hookups come into the RV. It's probably best to park on a slab of cement or cut the lawn low like you suggested.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #39
Commercial Member

ha! That is so funny!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
This should work good for anybody that can't get out to the rig often to empty and reset those darn traps, plus you won't have to put poison out anymore.

All there is here is a 5 gal. bucket, hole thru both sides of the top with a piece of conduit running thru it, with a plastic water bottle smeared with peanut butter on the conduit, (I will replace that with a piece of PVC just big enough to go over the conduit and spin freely.

There is a small board hooked on the edge of the bucket for the little critters to get up there. Then when they get out on the bottle/PVC, it will spin and down they go into a few inches of water or RV antifreeze . They can't get out) in fact I don't think they swim to good either.
Iggy,

You forgot to mention that the RV antifreeze acts like an embalming solution and won't stink up the trailer if left for some periods of time!

I haven't needed this setup yet but now that I mentioned it I'm sure that I will find all kinds of evidence of mice being in my trailer in the spring

Happy Camping,
shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote