RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Mouse Free RV undercarriage spray

We had concerns about mice during storage and our dealer recommended this product when we were taking delivery of our new travel trailer. This is more of a prevention than a cure.

After some research I went the DIY route and bought a kit from their website which includes a spray gun. Easily halves the dealer cost and you get enough product to last at least a couple applications.

Here in Canada the product is rebranded as Store It Safe. It has the consistency of diluted petroleum jelly. No drip, no mess and non-toxic. Using an air compressor, you simply spray it on the entire undercarriage of your RV (frames, hoses, wires, wheel wells, jacks, axles, spray foam points, slide rails) The idea is that mice don't like this sticky stuff on their feet and they simply slide off or move along, given it has a peppermint scent as well.

The product wipes off easily with a towel if you needed to do maintenance work. I can see it doubling down as rustproofing and lubrication as well.

I have yet to see how it picks up road dirt when I take it out in spring, but I'd rather deal with that than mice.

Granted our trailer is brand new so I probably won't get mice yet anyway, I have more peace of mind knowing nothing is getting in as it sits in our backyard this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6391.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	243460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6348.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	243461  
Chrisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

Rodents hate peppermint, peppermint extract duluted with water sprayed under a camper works also and has a pleasant odor and is pet safe. Bounce sheets on the inside of the camper and the truck when stored more than a month.
SS Sixteen O four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
{snip}...Bounce sheets on the inside of the camper and the truck when stored more than a month.
Dryer sheets (and other mouse repellent myths) are tested and debunked by Shawn Woods on his "Mousetrap Mondays" website and YouTube channel. Here is proof that the dryer sheet idea is a common myth:

https://youtu.be/sjZ2L26pJIU

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisboy View Post
We had concerns about mice during storage and our dealer recommended this product when we were taking delivery of our new travel trailer. This is more of a prevention than a cure.

After some research I went the DIY route and bought a kit from their website which includes a spray gun. Easily halves the dealer cost and you get enough product to last at least a couple applications.

Here in Canada the product is rebranded as Store It Safe. It has the consistency of diluted petroleum jelly. No drip, no mess and non-toxic. Using an air compressor, you simply spray it on the entire undercarriage of your RV (frames, hoses, wires, wheel wells, jacks, axles, spray foam points, slide rails) The idea is that mice don't like this sticky stuff on their feet and they simply slide off or move along, given it has a peppermint scent as well.

The product wipes off easily with a towel if you needed to do maintenance work. I can see it doubling down as rustproofing and lubrication as well.

I have yet to see how it picks up road dirt when I take it out in spring, but I'd rather deal with that than mice.

Granted our trailer is brand new so I probably won't get mice yet anyway, I have more peace of mind knowing nothing is getting in as it sits in our backyard this winter.
It doesn't matter how new your rv is. We bought our 2014 TT new in August 2013, we closed it up for winter on October 15, 2013. I did all the recommended tricks such as Bounce dryer sheets on every square inch of floor, Fresh Cab pouches in every corner and cabinet, peppermint oil on cotton balls and when we opened it on April 14, 2014 for the spring we had mice.

As for peppermint, when I was in my 20's early 30's we grew peppermint and spearmint for the oil. We distilled it using steam and cold water in much the same way as moonshine. In those days we would get $5000 to $7000 for a 55 gallon drum. Peppermint oil is stronger than extract as it comes directly from the distiller.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #5

Mothballs will deter mice and other rodents. I would not keep them inside the RV when you are using it, but during winterization they are fine.

Also make sure you have any holes sealed that mice might use to get into the trailer. They can get through REALLY small spaces, so seal well!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Sixteen O four View Post
Rodents hate peppermint, peppermint extract duluted with water sprayed under a camper works also and has a pleasant odor and is pet safe. Bounce sheets on the inside of the camper and the truck when stored more than a month.
Don't use Bounce, try Downy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Dryer sheets (and other mouse repellent myths) are tested and debunked by Shawn Woods on his "Mousetrap Mondays" website and YouTube channel. Here is proof that the dryer sheet idea is a common myth:

https://youtu.be/sjZ2L26pJIU
I've never even heard of the brand he used in that video. Downy sheets have worked for us for many years.

This past spring when we opened up for the season, the only places we found evidence of mice were the 2 places we didn't put the dryer sheets.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Don't use Bounce, try Downy.

I've never even heard of the brand he used in that video. Downy sheets have worked for us for many years.

This past spring when we opened up for the season, the only places we found evidence of mice were the 2 places we didn't put the dryer sheets.
Its likely the peppermint extract that did the job, however, the fabric softener sheets are staying because I don't want to mess with what works
SS Sixteen O four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Mothballs will deter mice and other rodents. I would not keep them inside the RV when you are using it, but during winterization they are fine.

Also make sure you have any holes sealed that mice might use to get into the trailer. They can get through REALLY small spaces, so seal well!

We have been using mothballs for years in our campers, from popup to hybrid to a couple travel trailers.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #9

Mouse problems

Quote:

Weve been using this for several years, smells good, no sign of mice. Scent Away RODENT RELELLENT
xomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:

you say it's re-branded as Store-it-safe in Canada... do you know what name they use in the US?

EDIT>>
I misunderstood that it's CALLED Mouse Free
https://mouse-free.com/
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #11

moth balla

we put moth balls all over our Coleman tent trailer. Then distributed mouse poison, and left the rest of the box of poison on the floor.
When we opened the trailer 4 months later, the mice had neatly placed all the poison and moth balls back in the box and made nests out of the canvas and mattress.

Good luck with moth balls.
norml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
Retired Panpsychist

Moth Balls (and other mouse repellent myths) are tested and debunked by Shawn Woods on his "Mousetrap Mondays" website and YouTube channel. Here is proof that using moth balls is a common myth:

https://youtu.be/PCmAL3ErEMM

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper")
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #13

Check out this humorous, yet informative video by Long Long Honeymoon. It dispels some of the myths about mouse proofing an RV.

Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I did Store it Safe in Fall 2019. I have a 39 ft Fifth Wheel and hit every possible opening. First trailer ever No Mice! Same storage location as the Rockwood and Bighorn both had mice. The Landmark did not this past winter.

I reapplied to all areas I felt required it.

Big side benefit is this acts like undercoating and there is no rust on the frame or gas line where I sprayed. It does collect some road dirt but wipes off if needed. Non Toxic and no Brake Cleaner needed!!

Tried Irish Spring, bounce sheets, rolling peanut butter on pop can traps, mint extract nothing was fool proof.

I highly recommend this great Canadian Product!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #15

mothballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post

I would rather have mice than smell moth balls
Old 12-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #16

So far, of the very few here that have actually used the Mouse Free product on their RV, Id say the success rate is 100%.

Curious if anyone experienced otherwise.
Chrisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #17

mice

Quote:
So far, of the very few here that have actually used the Mouse Free product on their RV, Id say the success rate is 100%.

Curious if anyone experienced otherwise.
scent away rodent repellant . been using it five years and not seen one mouse dropping
Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #18
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by xomkid View Post
scent away rodent repellant . been using it five years and not seen one mouse dropping
Is it possible your mice are either house broken or in need of a dose of Ex-lax?
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #19

I'm in Michigan & the mice are seriously looking for winter shelter......peppermint/oil & the inside radio on a "Talk" station 24/7......works for me.....not a trace of the little buggers! .....
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM   #20

Back in March I had to leave Arizona in a real hurry in order to get back home before the Canadian border was closed. Consequently, I had no time to do anything with my KZ as far as rodent proofing. I finally made it back to AZ after 10 months and was pleasantly surprised to see absolutely no evidence of any rodent or insect intrusion. I'll be doing a more thorough inspection in the near future, but so far it's looking good. In the future I'll do some sort of peppermint oil application in the storage areas.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mouse free rv spray