Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #21

I bet you received a lot of "brownie points" for that reply
reknaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #22

I use a portable weather radio that connects to NOAA sites automatically when I travel. Gives local forecasts, watches and warnings where ever I am.

For movies, I download them onto a few 128g thumb drives. Each movie is about 3g. That gives me about 40 movies on each thumb drive. I get the movies from the library and just copy them over. Or, I will rent from Redbox if there is one in the area.

For regular television, I use the OTA antenna unless I am where there is cable. I purchased a dual tuner DVR recorder (Amazon) for $39.00 so I can watch one show while recording another. The tuner records, pauses, rewinds and plays in HD through HDMI.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #23

We were in Estes Park over Memorial day and had the same problem. We couldn't get OTA, because of where the park was located. Even with 4 bars using a cel phone booster, with about a million people trying to access the few towers, cel service was almost non-existent for internet (email etc.). The park WIFI was the same, overloaded. The only time we could get bandwidth was after 11:00 pm and before about 8:00 am when everyone else was snoozing. Next time we will take a few dvd's or fill up a hard drive with something to watch.
chuckt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #24
Site Team

We rarely use campground WiFi, it's usually lousy.
We have the T-Mobile 55+ plan and use our phones as hotspots.
We cast or mirror to our smart tv's. We also have the Dish Anywhere app to watch tv and recorded shows on our smart tvs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzaboomer View Post
I record off of the Playon app to my laptop. mp4 format hardly uses any space. Cable from laptop to tv. Works great and no wifi needed.
We use PlayOn at home. I got a 8TB external (Western Digital from Best Buy) and have that I constantly use. I use Plex media server (free) instead I of PlayOn's. I also have this
https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Wire...hub+plus&psc=1

This thing is great. You can use a SD card or non-powered external to store movies and any device with the app can watch wirelessly
Old 07-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #26
Ham Call N8SAC

I dont go camping to watch TV do
Not take one with me . Do have a radio with the weather on it .
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #27

2x Chaplain K!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #28

I bring along a selection of DVD's that I want to watch.
I find I can't get any reception on my antenna, even parked in my laneway.
(I have a 2013 Forest River 23 ft. motor home.)
I'm usually dry camping at Cowboy Shooting Match ranges in Ontario.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #29

To the OP, who BTW was interested in local weather and news, a am radio will give you plenty of information.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
To the OP, who BTW was interested in local weather and news, a am radio will give you plenty of information.
As well as plenty of static. If I am not receiving OTA tv I'm probably not going to have much luck with AM
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, AM's got some pretty decent range. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still get AM but not OTA TV.

I still kind of stick by my earlier post though, if I'm far enough away that the signal doesn't reach me, I don't consider that local anymore.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
As well as plenty of static. If I am not receiving OTA tv I'm probably not going to have much luck with AM
Possibly, but not my experience.
If you take news out of the equation, a weather radio will give you static free reception plus alerts if you get one with alert features.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #33

We bring DVDs. I pick up a few from our local library before we leave home. During the day we are normally doing things - fishing, kayaking, hiking, bike riding. In the evenings we sit outside catch up on some reading, chit chat, listen to music, drink (me= beer, DW = wine). As it gets dark, we sit by the fire, chit chat, listen to music, relax and drink. When we feel like going into the TT but not going to sleep, we'll put on a DVD and most of the time one of us will fall to sleep before the movie is half way through.
We also sleep in late when we camp, no getting up early for us. We have to get up early at home as we both still work full time jobs.
Camping is our time to "get away from it all". No TV, no social media, no electronics. Just us spending some quality time together.
Our home life is very busy - work, grand kids and family take up a lot of our time so camping is our way to spend quality time with each other.
LivingToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 AM   #34

Headed to Texas for a couple of months this winter. We've gone there for years, but are changing parks this year. Old park had G-Tek you could buy for 20 bucks a month. Not perfect but could get around the band width limitations by using our tablets. Quality wasn't great, but watchable with an HDMI cable directly to the TV. Problem we have this year is the park we're staying at only has park WiFi, and my expectation is that it will be unusable for even the most rudimentary computer needs much less streaming. We will have access to cable TV but no streaming which limits us to crappy cable shows. Going to look into the different mobile plans for our phones, but have not found much to be worth the cost. Seems to be the only alternative right now. Lots of money out there for the guy that can come up with decent WiFi while traveling.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:43 PM   #35

My local library supports a movie service called hoopla. I can go to any decent wifi location, download a movie and save it. Then watch back in the rig up to 72 hours. Not all new films, but have found really good flicks!
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
My solution to no cable is a good book, a camp fire and being with my wife.
Exactly!

Not sure why we got the big TV in the rig. Well, maybe during rain and when there's no internet (via cell or wifi) and poor or no OTA (like this past week end)... I've got all our DVD/Blue ray movies, music, and home movies (over 350 videos) on a 2TB drive connected to a media player.
bigrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
I have a 21fbrs with a tv/entertainment setup. I purchased a roku device which works well when wifi is available. More often than not wifi is not available. So the problem is how to watch tv when there is no cable or wifi or satellite.
I take a Sat Antenna and Receiver with me. I have posted how I do it. Very easy and cheep!

My solution.
Since my trailer is equipped with a wifi range extender (basically a router) I turn that on and connect my roku to it as well as my cell phone. Now the roku and cell phone are on the same network. I can use my cell phone and mirror psvue (local channels plus) playing on my cell phone to the roku and see it on the TV. Granted this will eat up any cell phone data plans pretty quickly but I usually am only interested in local weather or news. I do have an unlimited data plan but I'm sure that at a certain point it will be throttled.
I hav a iPad, 10 1/2” with a phone number in it. I have DirecTv at home and their app on my iPad. If I use that app, their is no charge to data use. If you don’t have the DirecTv Service at home, you can get the app “DirecTv Now” for $50 per mo.
charlie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #38

Improve OTA TV

Rv antenna do not have long range. There are a number of antenna on Amazon for under $50. I attached a clip on the roof edge of my RV and use 10 FT of plastic conduit, with a dowel stuffed in it as a mast, then simply run the coax through the door. Gives me 75 mile range.
Then I use a website called TVFOOL.com. Type in your current address and it will tell you what is available station wise, and give directional compass settings. Works fine for me.
Paulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 PM   #39

We have Dishplaymaker and Wally Receiver but sometimes there are obstructions (like the ginormous Motorhome that pulled in next to us at a KOA. When Dish doesn't work we use the Over The Air antenna for local channels. If that doesn't work we always bring dvds. And if we're not in the mood, we talk lr read or play cribbage.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegantimber View Post
Just another option. ...for rainy days and nights. I have a smart tv and an old wireless router in rv. Router has no internet access but does create a wireless network inside rv. I download movies etc (at home) to my phone using amazon prime. I then mirror screen my phone to tv to watch downloaded movies.
WE usually carry DVDs with us, but I might try this one. We just bought 45 acres in the woods, and OTA isn't working for us ... can't locate any local channels within Antenna reach. Anyone know a good Antenna extender we might try also?
CarolMc55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable