Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #61

I think this post is running on the border between 2 ideas, one is how to go without cable, the other is consideration for others in a campground setting, like loud generators, and excessive noise. I'm all for people figuring out ways to enjoy themselves. I'm not about disturbing everything and everybody to attain that goal.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM   #62
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you have the batwing antenna on your RV...

Dump it for the King/Jack batwing replacement head (around $50 at Camping World).

I consider it the best $50 bucks I ever spent on my RV's.

I bought it for my previous TT, but kept it for my new 5'ver when I traded in the TT.

Works way better than the batwing and takes 2 minutes to install!

1st. shot batwing on TT, 2-3 King/Jack on TT, 4-5 is same King/Jack on my 5'ver:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	182611   Click image for larger version

Name:	JackTVdown-IMG_3934.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	590.6 KB
ID:	182612   Click image for larger version

Name:	JackTVup-IMG_3935.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	182613   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerMaxAirWhiteAfter-P6221006.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	182614   Click image for larger version

Name:	ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000712.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	796.3 KB
ID:	182615  

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #63

During a recent trip to Pigeon Forge TN, and 3 days of non-stop rain my little Raspberry Pi computer [$35] running KODI, and a thumb drive containing a bunch of movies proved well suited to taking the edge off of the awful weather. Just connected it to one of the open HDMI connectors on the rig's TV.

TV reception was awful along with the poor cable service. The content on the thumb drive was perfect.

I'd have rather been out enjoying some of the attractions but most were shut down due to lightning.
wurlitzer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #64

We have a Western Digital 4tb wireless drive that we connect to and play movies on the Apple TV device connected to our TV. Works great.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #65
Ham Call N8SAC

Nothing like going to campground and sitting in camper the whole time . The last time I was at a campground the people in the camper next to us stayed in camper the whole tim they were there. While we set outside enjoying the quiet. And went for a boat ride ever day “ pontoon boat “ on the lake. Roasted hot dogs over an open fire. That’s camping to me. No TV no radio. Just watching nature at its best.
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #66

I agree, but when the weather doesn’t cooperate any your fellow campers are getting restless....always like to be prepared! Haha
Slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
Nothing like going to campground and sitting in camper the whole time . The last time I was at a campground the people in the camper next to us stayed in camper the whole tim they were there. While we set outside enjoying the quiet. And went for a boat ride ever day “ pontoon boat “ on the lake. Roasted hot dogs over an open fire. That’s camping to me. No TV no radio. Just watching nature at its best.

I was at a Provincial Park in Canada years ago and the people beside us were nowhere to be seen all week. They had one of the biggest coach bus RV's I've ever seen. When I finally saw the owner step out, he invited my wife and I in. omg, I've been to lots of RV shows but this blew me away inside. A Featherlite Prevost wth all the upgrades iirc. The couple had won $37 million in another province and was escaping on a cross Canada tour. We respected their privacy and didn't bother them again. Sorry, a bit off topic.
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #68

Everyone is at different stages in their life. Some truly camp on weekends to get away from the rat race and technology. Some of us are retired and we have permanently escaped!

We travel/camp for weeks at a time. We play hard most days. That can mean sight seeing, fishing, biking, hiking, attending sporting events, partying around a campfire. But usually once a week, we are truly lazy and take a day off. We might stay in the RV all day and watch old movies in our lounging clothes. We each have our own recliners with heat and vibrating massage Life is good.

We have all kinds of DVDs, movies saved on tablets, movies on DVR portable drive. Lots of options if we have no reception. But it it is a very rare occurrence that we don't have reception with the DISH Tailgater.

I always enjoy conversations with folks who try to tell us we are missing out, or not really camping, because we no longer 'rough it' in the wilderness
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #69
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I always enjoy conversations with folks who try to tell us we are missing out, or not really camping, because we no longer 'rough it' in the wilderness
Yup! I tell them "I've slept my last night on the ground and have moved on to the next level!".

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #70

NM Wildcat, is the DISH tailgater an extension of a DISH you have at home? We have comcast for our provider. Have never owned DISH.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinks View Post
NM Wildcat, is the DISH tailgater an extension of a DISH you have at home? We have comcast for our provider. Have never owned DISH.
Yep. We have the Hopper at home. The receiver in the RV is around $7 a month if I remember right. They also have a pay as you go RV plan, but we are always going, so we just leave it on. We like the portable Tailgater over the fixed kind. We only have one spot where we can't get reception, and that is in a deep, narrow canyon. Otherwise we have 150' of rg6 cable to place the dish wherever we like.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #72

Boy Scouts taught me, "Always be prepared". That includes comfortable bed, TV, bathroom, shower and much more. Don't always use all of the stuff but nice to have it there if you want it.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #73

Take and use whatever you want! It’s our choice, not theirs!
charlie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinks View Post
Yes, if you have Dish at home and have the Playmaker or Tailgater the cost to add it is only $7 a month, plus you can turn it on and off when needed. If your not going to be travelling for 3 months, just call and turn it off and save $21. When you're ready to head out again just call and turn it back on. We love it. Our local channels follow us so we can get hometown news wherever we are.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzaboomer View Post
I record off of the Playon app to my laptop. mp4 format hardly uses any space. Cable from laptop to tv. Works great and no wifi needed.

I have Playon that allows you to record movies from TV channels like History and Discovery. I can record from Hulu Amazon and Netflix as I have a paid current account.

Old TV shows from the 50's to the 90's plus they have add ins for many web channels. I record them on to a portable 6 terabyte hard drive. I bought a laptop at the left behind luggage store in Alabama last April for $60 when we were camping at Lookout Mountain Georgia that I keep in the trailer. I am going to build a Raspberry Pi though soon. Takes up less power, room and will fit about anywhere.

For my Blu Ray and DVDS I use Make MKV, easier to use then Handbrake and faster for me anyway but we all have our personal preferences.

My media browser is Emby, give the movie info including IMDB rating, actors, genre, directors. You can also click on the actor or director name to pull up any more movies you have in your collection from that person. Sam with genre. You can add movie posters and background if you wanted to
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #76
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

What tv are you using that plays movies right off a thumb drive? I don't think my stock tv that came with TH will do that. I do have a Sony DVD player with Miracast and a galaxy S7 Edge that I download movies too. Works well enough but is annoying to set up at times. I also have a Chromecast but have to then use my Pixel XL as a hotspot.

We mostly take movies for when it rains but do whatever you like. It's nice to get away from the house and doing what makes you relax and enjoy live. If I am at home I feel like I should always be doing something or working on something. If I am away from the house I can truly relax.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
As well as plenty of static. If I am not receiving OTA tv I'm probably not going to have much luck with AM
Ohhh this brings back memories of driving through the night with dad. We always left as soon as he got out work, I tradition I do and some thing my son does now .

When I was just youngster knee high to a grasshopper, we would take trips all over this great country of ours. I remember rushing home from the bus stop to help my mom pack up the car for the long journey into the night. After the car was packed and we kids collected, we would pick my Dad up from work and the journey would begin. This is how every trip out of town would start and go long into the night.
Now remember when I was a pup there was no internet, cell phones or satellite radio. We had FM radio which would disappear once you were out of the city limits and AM radio which you could listen to almost forever. We would drive into the night, my dad and I, while the rest of family would be snoring the night away. I would love to look into the dark of night and gaze at the stars while reading the billboards as they flashed by back into the darkness. Describing those far off places like "See Rock City" or "Visit the Lost Sea" or some hotel we would never see. At 11 P.M. the crackling of the radio static would blare over the speakers scanning the invisible air waves for our special program. CBS Radio Mystery Theater would be played from coast to coast at this time which we would never miss. I would follow the story along in my minds eye whilst moving further and further away from the window for fear of the monster or killer in the story would magically appear at the car window. Yanking on the door handle attempting to snatch me away to some far off place into the deep dark night.
These programs helped my dad stay awake during the night also though I doubt he was afraid of the boogeyman appearing at the car window. Or least he would never admit it to me. To this day I relive those memories every time we start out for vacation in exactly the same we did when I was a child. Except with the advantage of the internet and memory sticks, I can now listen to those programs long into the night and day. They keep me mentally alert ready for the long haul. Though now the family takes turns with the driving, we are now under the spell with the magic of old time radio in the modern era.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
What tv are you using that plays movies right off a thumb drive? I don't think my stock tv that came with TH will do that. I do have a Sony DVD player with Miracast and a galaxy S7 Edge that I download movies too. Works well enough but is annoying to set up at times. I also have a Chromecast but have to then use my Pixel XL as a hotspot.

We mostly take movies for when it rains but do whatever you like. It's nice to get away from the house and doing what makes you relax and enjoy live. If I am at home I feel like I should always be doing something or working on something. If I am away from the house I can truly relax.
Costco Sony 4K 43” does that fits in the TV framing, only sticks not larger 2.5” portables. Also connecting a headphone cable from the TV to the RV Furrion system’s aux in puts the sound throughout the surround speakers if you have it. Costco sells 128GB SanDisk USB < $30. Although most of our stuff is 1080p, plays 4K content no problem, the picture is stunning. There are apps that’ll download YouTube vids among your other sources. The combo plays mp4, mkv, etc; less cumbersome than large drives, laptops and even the need for media boxes. Have a couple of loaded sticks and we’d never go through it in 2 weeks of RV’ing with all the outdoor stuff we do, nice to have.
JoshuaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #79

Tyler811, do you watch everything on your laptop? Or can you connect the laptop to the tv in the camper? We downloaded content to our phones from xfinity but were unable to watch it on the TV with the adapter I have.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less is More View Post
Isn't the idea of camping to get away from it all? I actually find that people who head out to the woods with satelite dishes and big screen TVs mounted outside their RV as well as generators that run all evening to be annoying. And since all the wildlife disappears with the onslaught of noise, they apparently object to it as well. But that's just my opinion.
We use our TT as a hotel room. We Geocache a lot which takes us to places we never would have seen. Gets us outside and moving around more often then not in the woods. We usually leave the TT around 8 or 9 am and are not back till after dark.

Our last trip to Irion Mountain Mi. we were back before dark and lit a campfire to cook and cooked some hotdogs.

We keep movies for rainy days and I watch the oldies when I fall asleep. Nothing like a little A&C to fall asleep to.

Tags
cable