Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #1

Need help with stabilization

Hi everyone!

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread about this or not. I did some searching here about my problem and found several threads discussing stabilizing, but I'm still confused, so here goes.

We are currently trying to decide how to stop all the bouncing in our Rockwood 8312SS. We took it out for the first time over Mother's Day weekend and definitely had everything level and the electric stabs down after leveling, but the trailer (34') bounced around a lot whenever anybody entered/exited or walked around. It seemed to get worse as the weekend went on (or maybe I was just noticing it more), but it didn't really bother me that much during the actual time in the trailer--it was after we got back home that I noticed I still had that "bouncing" effect going on in my head--kind of the same sensation I get after a cruise.

I was wondering if anyone with a similar travel trailer can share their recommendation. So far, I've researched King Pin, JT Strong Arm, and BAL stabilizers. I see lots of people have made their own, and I know my husband would be very good at creating something, but he really doesn't have the time right now.

I know there will be some inherent movement, but I wouldn't want to spend another several days in the trailer until we do something to stabilize it more.

We were kind of leaning towards the JT's, but I'm having a hard time finding them. CW is out of stock online and in the store here locally. Still open to other ideas if anybody with a similar TT has any recommendations--or if you know of a reputable online retailer to get the JT Strong Arms.

BTW, we don't have anything (like X-Chocks) between the tires yet, either. We are true newbies .

Thanks for any help.
glitelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Look into bal brand stabilizers.
I've got them on the rear of mine and home mades on the front.
They work great.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

hey there fellow Virginian!!!
We had the same issue with our rig last weekend and I figured out that I had my stabilizers down too far. What i mean is, they were extended too far. So I had my daughter grab the 7x7 pieces of wood that i had in my truck and make a tower below my orange lynx blocks which minimized how much i had to crank down the stab's. MUCH BETTER!!! The less amount you crank down, the better.
Not sure if this is your issue, but certainly was mine.
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Another issue especially with torsion type axles.
the actual issue is with the torsions bouncing.
Only way to help with that is to add actual jacks to the middle of the frame where the axles are .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Always Learning

Any of the big names in triangulating stabilization should work fine- JT StrongArms (bought online from Tweetys.com or RV Wholesalers), UltraFab Eliminators (essentially knock-off JT's) or the SteayFast system. You can also take the product concept and make your own.

The next thing is to get/make a good between the wheel chock. I use RotoChocks because they're a small manufacturer and I ordered directly from them. I like that their chock is rubber vs. metal for the BAL chocks. However, I don't have any reason to believe the BAL chock damages the tire. Lots of people use them.

With both of those- many people say their rigs are rock solid. Some (like me) still have more movement than I'd prefer- my next step is some kind of jack near the axles. I'm initially going to try the Valterra Jack Stands with extremely low expectations and will likely move to a simple scissor jack if/when it doesn't work.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitelover View Post
Hi everyone!

I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread about this or not. I did some searching here about my problem and found several threads discussing stabilizing, but I'm still confused, so here goes.

We are currently trying to decide how to stop all the bouncing in our Rockwood 8312SS. We took it out for the first time over Mother's Day weekend and definitely had everything level and the electric stabs down after leveling, but the trailer (34') bounced around a lot whenever anybody entered/exited or walked around. It seemed to get worse as the weekend went on (or maybe I was just noticing it more), but it didn't really bother me that much during the actual time in the trailer--it was after we got back home that I noticed I still had that "bouncing" effect going on in my head--kind of the same sensation I get after a cruise. In order to stop(All the

I was wondering if anyone with a similar travel trailer can share their recommendation. So far, I've researched King Pin, JT Strong Arm, and BAL stabilizers. I see lots of people have made their own, and I know my husband would be very good at creating something, but he really doesn't have the time right now.

I know there will be some inherent movement, but I wouldn't want to spend another several days in the trailer until we do something to stabilize it more.

We were kind of leaning towards the JT's, but I'm having a hard time finding them. CW is out of stock online and in the store here locally. Still open to other ideas if anybody with a similar TT has any recommendations--or if you know of a reputable online retailer to get the JT Strong Arms.

BTW, we don't have anything (like X-Chocks) between the tires yet, either. We are true newbies .

Thanks for any help.
In order to stop (All the bouncing) you will need to support the frame front to back. This can be done with blocks or jacks,or both. With a light frame (34+feet long) your are going to experience (Vertical movement). You prob have (3-4) entrance steps,support those also. Slides also need support if shock loads are placed on them to prevent horizontal movement. I personal don't place support under mine (Slides). Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #7

I had the same problem with my 30 footer until I realized that it was the fact that the stabilizers were too straight up and down as stated. I made wooden blocks to add under the stabilizers so they would not be so straight up and down and the wobble got much better. Adding the X-chocks between the tires has helped a lot also. I am considering replacing the stabilizers with scissor jacks. I have asked many campers who have the scissor jacks about them and some of them had changed over from stabilizers and found the scissor jacks to be better.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I had the same problem with my 30 footer until I realized that it was the fact that the stabilizers were too straight up and down as stated. I made wooden blocks to add under the stabilizers so they would not be so straight up and down and the wobble got much better. Adding the X-chocks between the tires has helped a lot also. I am considering replacing the stabilizers with scissor jacks. I have asked many campers who have the scissor jacks about them and some of them had changed over from stabilizers and found the scissor jacks to be better.
Adding jacks in front of the axles against the suspension framework sure helped ours. I made brackets that bolt around the 2 x 4 tubing and welded scissor jacks to the brackets. Works great and I don't have to find a place to store the jacks. Did that along with homemade stabilizers across the landing jacks and also in the rear on the stab jacks
Old 06-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #9

We have the sister brand , Flagstaff 831RKSS 2012 . I concur with the jacks being extended to far , either use more lynx blocks or square blocks to shorten the height . We have the X chocks on both sides ( these are the metal ones with the 4 pads , 2 on each tire X .. ) these really worked well

On the entrance door , I made a scissor jack with a support on the top of the jack , this goes under the bottom step for support

This has help out a lot on the bouncing a lot . See if this helps
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We just ordered the JT's from Tweety's, and we will go from there.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #11

Update on JTs: After our first trip out, we were trying to eliminate some of the rocking motion in our 34-foot Rockwood 8312SS. I did some research and heard great things about the JT stabilizers. I ordered a set made for travel trailers from Tweety's. Hubby got really busy at work and didn't get around to installing them for about a month. Then he decided he'd better get busy since our Bristol trip was fast approaching. Unfortunately, it looked like it was going to take more modification to our particular trailer than he was willing to do. In the back, it was going to require drilling near one of the holding tanks, which he didn't want to do. He called our dealer, and they said it needed some kind of additional bar on the back so the drill holes could go into that. They said they'd be glad to do the work but wouldn't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks. We decided to get a set of X-Chocks and hope they would take enough motion out so we could get by this trip. (They ended up working really well and took out all of the front-back motion--leaving on the lateral motion). Now these JTs are heavy (shipping $) and of course there is a re-stocking fee if we return them. We are still trying to decide what to do. If we keep them, the dealer gets $85/hour for labor and says it will be about a 5-hour job to install them properly on our trailer.