Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

New owner - Roof question

We recently bought our first camper. It is a FR Salem 26TBUD hitch tow camper. We need to clean and check the roof, but I'm not certain if we should climb onto and walk on the roof. Would someone please offer some advice? Thanks much!
mcfarland16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

I have a 31 foot Flagstaff and I am always up on the roof inspecting and cleaning it. Go up in your bare feet, stay away from the ac unit and vent openings (I assume they would be weak points due to breaking the structure). I use a special spray cleaner for rubber membrane roof (I would tell you the name of it but it is packed in a rubbermaid container) and is purchased at any RV store. I use a long handled nylon brush and rinse off with cold water. My roof is white like the day I bought the trailer.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Put the jacks down on the camper first. I use soft shoes , walk carefully and crawl some times. It can be slick when the roof is wet so be careful.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #4

If you look at the top of the page there is a section called Library and inside it has all generic manuals and there is a section that tells you how to care for your roof.
Here is a link to direct to the library
Forest River Forums - Downloads

Here is a direct link to roof maint. download There are 2 Different kinds of roofs
EPDM or Alpa
Alpha
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Roof - Alpha Roof Sealant Maintenance
EPDM
Forest River Forums - Downloads - Roof - EPDM Roof Cleaning Instructions
All are really generic and cover all the Forest River Products
Hope this helps. Oh and by the way I go up on our roof and clean it as the site says . No shoes or sharp items. Shoes have a tendency to carry small stones and put holes in the roof
Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

Not familiar with your model, but you need to find out it is a Flex Alpha System, or a EDPM rubber roof. The Alpha Systems just need to be clean with Spic & Span when ever they are dirty (no UV Protectors needed). My Windjammer has the Aplha System and is a 4" walk-able roof, love the low maintenance.

The EDMP rubber roofs IMO are high maintenance, requiring a special rubber roof cleaners and UV protectors applied several times a year. Seem like they get chalky no matter how much cleaning and UV protecting you do to them, just my opinion and experience.

My 2010 Keystone Passport had the EDPM rubber roof. For it I had (2) pieces of 2' x 4' 3/8" plywood that I glued carpet to them (wrapping the carpet around the edges to protect the roof). I alway used these carpeted plywood pieces when up on the roof they really add reinforcement and piece of mind. they store nicely in the pass-through.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

My 2015 Wildcat 327 CK documents state that you can walk on the roof but I don't unless I have to. I use a latter to clean and treat the roof. When I must go on the roof I am barefooted and I step lightly. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

I generally think that if there is not a ladder on the back you may not want to walk on the roof (general rule of thumb but the owners manual should state if not call a factory rep). I'm also not the lightest individual.
NYDP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #8

I'm terrified of heights. I'll climb the ladder so I an see the the roof but that is as far as I can go. I take out Flagstaff into the RV Service center at the begining of the season and again at the end for servicing and they inspect the roof for me. That's the best I can do.
Sincearly,
Chicken Boy
G.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

I'm not scared of heights but I'm a big boy. Personally I use a ladder and long handle brush!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the input folks!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #11

Any one see this ???

The Process - Welcome to RV Armor
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the post Crusader. Very interesting
Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #13

Generally, what I have been told is if the unit has a permanently affixed ladder, it is ok to walk carefully on the roof. I reiterate, carefully! Me personally, I am at the age that I do not do ladders. My bones creak more than my first camper. On a good note, my wife is always working from ladders due to her previous occupation as a firefighter. She has no fear but respect of heights. I would find out what the material is on the roof and check with the dealer for recommendations of the care and feeding of your roof. For the most part, I found the service manager is the best person to ask if you need another opinion other than the extremely qualified responses that you will find on this site.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof