Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #1

New RVers from Vermont

We have been looking at pull-behinds and really like the Rockwood George G19FD. Before we put an order in for one ( because all the RV lots are pretty empty these days) we would like to hear any of your thoughts about this camper. We also need to buy a vehicle to pull it and want an SUV over a truck, and would also like some suggestions on that too. We plan on traveling cross country and exploring lots of national parks so mpg and durability to get to trailheads are our major concerns.

Thanks,
DBQinVT
dbquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Welcome, Neighbors!

You may want to post your question in the section of the forum labelled "Fifth Wheels | Travel Trailers | Ultra Lites" under the "Rockwood" sub-forum. You will be more likely to encounter Geo Pro owners there.

I think you are on the right track by choosing an travel trailer (TT) first, then shopping for a tow vehicle (TV). The Geo Pro G19FD's gross vehicle weight rating is just shy of 4,000lbs. Use the GVWR to calculate all other weights and NOT the unladen vehicle weight (UVW). Figure your true hitch weight to be 12-13% of your GVWR, which is about 520lbs (not the 390lbs in the specs; that's based on UVW).

With those numbers in hand, you'll want to find a TV that has enough payload to carry a weight distribution hitch (WDH, say 80lbs), the hitch weight of the TT (520lbs), the weight of all humans and other life forms traveling in the TV...plus the weight of all your cargo. Figure that's very roughly 1,300lbs (80 [weight of hitch] + 520 [TT hitch weight] + 300 [life forms] + 400 [cargo]).

So, when shopping for a TV, look on the drivers door jamb for this yellow sticker:

The number circled in red is the payload of that specific vehicle. Give yourself some additional payload "room" by looking for your anticipated payload plus about 20% or so. In the example above, you'd be looking for a payload rating of 1,500 to 1,600lbs.

There are a lot of incredibly smart and experienced folks on these forums. What I have written are just the basic things to consider. Post over in the other forum and I'm sure you'll get good counsel!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

Welcome from New Jersey!
I would highly recommend upgrading the tires two load ranges during the ordering process. If your planning to travel, this will help prevent issues on the road.