Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #1

New to forum need a couple of tips

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but I have had a Flagstaff 5th wheel for 4 years now. We purchased a 30 ft bunkhouse model but now it's time to upgrade to a trailer that's better suited for us to live in for 4 months. No more snow and cold, had enough after this year. We are looking at rear living quarters 5th wheels in the 34 ft range. Here's my issue, I have enough trouble backing my current one into a site how am I going to back one in that's 4 to 5 feet longer. Any tips would be really great.
Thanks
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

An old truck driver suggested that I pull way--WAY past my site before beginning to back in. Gives the trailer plenty of room to get pointed in the right direction. Works for me.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #3

Use a set of walkie-talkies or a hands free cell phone to better communicate with the person guiding you backward. It may seem strange, but a longer trailer is actually easier to back up than a really small trailer. The longer trailer reacts a lot better. 4-5 feet shouldn't make that much difference.

And then there are sometimes pull through sites.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
It is generally considered that the longer a trailer is, the easier it is to back. This is referring to aiming it to where you want it though....and doesn't account for backing into a 90 degree campsite when the guy on the opposing side of the road has left his truck sticking 2 feet out of his site.

It's easy for me to say this not being in your position, but I feel if you have been "getting it done" with a 30' trailer, then you shouldn't have much trouble adjusting to the slightly longer trailer. You should find the difference nearly negligible.

And think about this...how much time do you spend backing up vs camping in it. Just get it backed in as best you can and enjoy that extra living space!
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #5

Thanks for some good info, Wife and I are heading south come next winter for a few months. Wife just can't handle the snow and cold, even though I'm an avid snowmobiler I'm ready to give it up. We are looking at the Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback, there is two models we really like 29 IK and 29 RE both are 34 foot. Any feed back on these two models or the Cedar Creek line would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Old 03-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #6

A agree with previous post. A longer rig is not necessarily harder to back. Enjoy.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

I also find it easy to back up a longer trailer. I put ours along side our house with only 2-4" of room to spare on either side.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

My wife is a good driver and wants to learn to back in a low stress environment. We're using the local High School parking lot and a couple of traffic cones.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #9

If you have a local truck driver training school in your area you could check the cost of a few lessons on reversing the truck and trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #10

just take it slow and easy ! If you get frustrated , just stop ! ! get out , take a deep breath walk around , look at your situation and start over......Frustration leads to disaster !
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

You guys are amazing. I feel like a pop up is all I can handle and you guys are backing up these large rigs that so long.

Cheers to you!

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #12

Backing into a site...

Always employ the ol' "scoop" maneuver when approaching your intended site...it will help to get the rig oriented properly for a better angle of attack. Google it...there are videos which will demonstrate the technique in detail.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 AM   #13

Pull away if possible to straighten tt and truck in line, place hands on bottom of steering wheel and using your mirrors, when you want to tt rear to go right, turn steering wheel to the right (counter-clockwise) and when left, turn steering wheel to the left.
An old truckers trick, works well
Enjoy, I have a Shamrock 21ss, love it
TinkerToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
It is generally considered that the longer a trailer is, the easier it is to back. This is referring to aiming it to where you want it though....and doesn't account for backing into a 90 degree campsite when the guy on the opposing side of the road has left his truck sticking 2 feet out of his site.
I'm still relatively new to this and I recall the first time we took our rig out (around 30' travel trailer, hitch to bumper) there was a pretty tight hairpin turn at the end of the loop for us to get around to the other side of the loop where our site was... and some clown had their boat trailer parked about 3-4 feed out onto the (narrow) road on the outside of the turn while there was a wood fence on the inside.

Then when I got to my site, someone had parked their TV exactly as you mention, with the front end hanging out a few feet over the road. It was a good test of nerves and maneuvering. For the record I squeezed it through and got it parked, all the while the offending parties watched and snickered at me as I tried to get my trailer through.

I'm always a little astonished at how inconsiderate people are with their vehicles and toys on campgrounds. There was no reason for that boat to be on the road besides that they didn't want it taking up space on their site (there was plenty of room). And I always see at least two or three people every trip who have their tow vehicle sticking well out into the road. Shows a lack of consideration for others but I guess that's everywhere so why not at campgrounds too.

Anyway, that little personal anecdote doesn't add a lot to the thread but I think if you're already towing 35 feet you can learn to tow 40. Just might have to be selective of the types of campgrounds you go to if you're uncomfortable backing... ones with plenty of room to maneuver your rig and preferably pull through sites.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

It's always better to not "blindside back" "from the passenger side"
If possible always back into the spot from the drivers side, it'll make life easier!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #16

I Googled the Scoop Maneuver, what a simple and great little video. As soon as I get rid of the 5 feet of snow in front of my camper I'm definitely going to give it a try.
Thanks slipf18
Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #17

hit a mall parking lot and practice slow is the best way and stop get out and look
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #18

I have the 29 RE and the reduced nose cap makes more room to turn tight.

When backing over correcting or steering is normally the problem. Everyone suggestions help and are right but practice makes experience.

Try to just back up straight and master that. You will realize you do not turn the wheel very much and slow. Just like you do driving forward.

If practicing in a parking lot you can use water bottles for markers. No damage and easily set another one up. Drive out of your "parked spot" and you can see how much room you will need and how your TV work with RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #19

What the poster above told you regarding the longer trailer being easier to back up is true. If you need a little practice go to a school parking lot on a Saturday practice. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

It is certainly the quickest way to divorce...I have seen and heard some pretty animated discussions on how good of a backing job was being done! Experience and get to know your rigs turning characteristics.

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote