Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #1

Newbie question

Just got our first RV after too many years sleeping on the ground in tents. We've been buying the appropriate cooking gear, plates, cups etc. But to my question...do you just stock the kitchen cabinets with all the gear or do you do something to prevent shifting and sliding in the cabinets (storing plates, etc in boxes or whatever for travel)?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
Average Joe

We've just filled the cabinets with mostly unbreakable plates and cups. We didn't use any boxes or special racks. I'm sure some folks do, but we don't have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:48 PM   #3

Everything in your rig WILL shift, so it just depends on the item itself. A lot of folks use that mesh rubberized drawer liner stuff in drawers and cabinets. If you're going paper plates and the like.. or corelle.. it's not much of an issue to stack them. Nicer dishes you might want a little of that drawer liner in between each dish. It's not a bad idea to put a little something (paper towel, wax paper, etc) if you are stacking pans and the like to prevent scratching. Heavier items in a cabinet.. you might want to secure with those spring loaded retainer bars... the same in your reefer if you don't want to open the door and have everything spill out. Some folks like crystal wine glasses at dinner.. those probably get wrapped and boxed. Get my drift...

Everyone is different. My best suggestion would be to set out what you plan to load into your rig then visit someplace like Camping World and browse their household products. You may not buy out the store, but it will certainly give you some great ideas of how to cope with various household goods. Most times you can come up with your own variation that will fit your needs without breaking the bank.

I think you'll also find that as you spend more time in your rig, things kind of have a tendency to "find" just the right place and the storage solution seems obvious.

Have fun and Congratulations on your new rig!!!
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #4

Our plates, bowls, cups and glasses are mostly plastic, exception is the coffee mugs for that morning cup of coffee. I do not secure anything, even food stuff, in any specific manner. Just put the stuff in the cabinet, drawer, or fridge. I am careful when I open the cabinets and fridge after driving. Yes, things have shifted, but if I am careful, nothing will fall out onto the floor. I have never had anything shift to the point where I needed to secure it.
2 adults, 3 cats
Camped in 2015: 44 days
elabrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I got the correlle plates and bowls as they don't break very easily. I went with plastic cups and plastic wine glasses. I use the tervis cups for coffee mugs. For my glass cookware, I put a layer of paper towels between the stacked dishes. For coffee we got the mini keurig so no glass coffee pot but he aware the large tervis cups do not fit under the spout. No issues with breakage on anything so far in the 4 1/2 yrs we have been doing this. Then again, I leave my knife block on the counter and it almost never moves thanks to smooth driving learned from hauling horses.

You can get the little bars to block across the inside of cabinet doors and fridge doors. We only use them in the medicine cabinet but others use them elsewhere.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We learned early on to just keep a pretty stocked kitchen with everything. (Especially after wanting to have tuna fish sandwiches but we forgot a can opener!!) Plastic plates, cups, and glasses and we do like coffee so we just get a package of styrofoam coffee cups.
For breakable things we do want to bring, we have large plastic bins that we just put in the narrow place between the couch and the kitchen and use a bath towel to wrap them up to prevent breaking...haven't had anything break, yet.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #7

X2 on Corelleware!

Also they make non-slip drawer liner - we put it in every drawer in the rig (except the bedroom )

http://smile.amazon.com/Shelf-Drawer...v+drawer+liner
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

We're full timers and we try to maintain the same types of dishes as we did in our home with the exception of glasses. We use paper plates to separate china plates and that has worked well over about 100,000 miles. Wine glasses are in a box when we are moving and we use a common rubber type fabric to line drawers and to help solidify pots and pans in cupboards.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

We use correlle dishes, ceramic cups, And heavy plastic bowls, when we are not using paper...... but we hound it is best to use child latches/ locks to keep the upper cabinet doors closed while traveling down the road.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

go browse kitchen ware at walmart...I bought vertical [wire] plate holders and bins that fit my rigs kitchen overhead compartments to a T and work very well...corielle ware user also.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #11

Chinet plates and bowls, I do not tow the trailer around so I can do dishes every place I stop.
Quick rinse and recycled with the water bottles before we leave the GC.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

Thank you to all for the very helpful responses! Much appreciated
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
KCM

Congratulations on your new ride! Most things will come from experience, unfortunately not all good. We stock unbreakable plates and cups, and put shelf liner in to slow the shifting. I added magnetic latches to keep the doors from opening going down the road and that helped a bunch. Hope this helps
KCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

I used to have Melamine dishes & bowls in the motorhome but no longer. Over the years the paper plates & bowl quality has improved so much, I sold all the dishes & bowls at a yard sale. I watch for really good sales (BOGO) and stock up on these. Costco & Sam's both have great prices on the Solo cups for your soft drinks, etc. I do, however, have the regular mugs for coffee & hot chocolate - just can't drink hot beverages from styrofoam (ha) which hang from cup hangers screwed into the top of one of the cabinets. Most cooking is done outside so that means I only have to wash silverware. Small cafe (expandable) rods from Walmart keeps items from shifting in the cabinets and the refrigerator bars from Camping World means I don't worry when I open the fridge. I found small plastic bins that will fit into the medicine cabinet (again Walmart) which stops shifting there. These bins come in all sizes and work well under the sink to store your cleaning supplies, etc. they are pretty inexpensive. I did purchase an adjustible tray with compartments (Bed/Bath/Beyond) that holds all the cooking utensils and a standard molded silverware holder for the silverware. Hope this helps.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #15

So you basically use the plates etc and just throw them out adding to all the trash that the world produces ?
pfeather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #16

Smile Ummmmmm.....recycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeather1 View Post
So you basically use the plates etc and just throw them out adding to all the trash that the world produces ?
No, sweetie....the paper plates/bowls go into a recycle bag and are placed in the proper recycle bins in the campgrounds. Same for our "garbage" - it goes into a different bag and is placed in the appropriate bin as well.
Sloopie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

I keep some things in bins. On a blog I saw that a full timing couple put a bead of silicone on the bottom of the pottery ring on the bottom of plates, bowls, and cups to keep them from shifting. I use Correlle and plan to put the soft shelf liner between them. We are still getting things figured out. My husband is going to build shelves so we can organize.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #18

Thanks for the clarification Sloopie1 - I jumped to a wrong conclusion- not many are as good as you- my apologies to you dear
pfeather1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags