Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Night time Trailer setup

For the first time in 3 years of owning our Wildwood TT, we will be arriving at a back in camp site space after dark... It is easily done in daylight when you can see the parking pad but at night it will be different... The camp ground is unlighted... Since there are no back up lights on most trailers, how do you accomplish this evolution? I am thinking that I might take a portable halogen shop light and plug it into the power / water pedestal to illuminate the pad but not sure how that would work. Putting the DW with a flashlight in her hand behind the trailer to guide me would be comical at best... Ideas or suggestions??
STGCM(SW) USN Ret 30 yrs.
Adony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

I would plug the shop light in with an extension cord and point it away from you as you back in.

Or you could light your space with four glow sticks, one on each corner.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

The thing that I hate the most about backing at night, the truck's back up lights reflecting on the front of the trailer. This can be blinding. You may take thick paper and tape over those lights.

Take it slow, best of luck.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Always Learning

I was parking in a spot as it was getting dark the first year I had the fifth wheel. A neighbor guy walked down with a flood light in hand and used it to light up the area that I was trying to hit. I swore that would be something that I added to my equipment. He held it by hand and made sure not to shine it at me. If we didn't have the extra guy- we'd just point it at the spot, making sure the back was too me.

You'll need to go extra slow and make sure you and the wife circle the truck and camper more than usual to avoid obstacles.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Carknocker Family

I just have my wife stand where I need to go and we play chicken till we get it right. Walkie talkies help on the yelling too.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

happened to us too. second time out with camper we got to camp ground at dark. just laid a couple flashlights along pad and had the wife keep me from backing into stuff. having a back up camera helped a bunch since I could see her easier
nducker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Always Learning

I've also heard of folks who use detachable awning lights of plugging them in and laying them down along the path that they are aiming for parking.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

I turn on the two scare lights at the rear of my 5er. Lights up everything on each side. Could wake your neighbors if you arrive too late. No problems yet!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
I just have my wife stand where I need to go and we play chicken till we get it right. Walkie talkies help on the yelling too.
I use this method too, only I give her a flashlight and a walkie talkie, so far so good. The one time we had to setup in the rain at night, she wasn't really happy with me though. I told her she could try to back it up and i'ld hold the light, she just gave me a really nasty look and got the umbrella...

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #10

I carry a Streamlight in my camper. If I do not have a spotter and I get somewhere and its dark, I can set it on the ground to light the way. Its great for hooking up, waterproof and mounted on the wall of my underbelly storage, can be charged with 12V off the battery setup or 120v.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
The thing that I hate the most about backing at night, the truck's back up lights reflecting on the front of the trailer. This can be blinding. You may take thick paper and tape over those lights.

Take it slow, best of luck.
I 2nd that. I have 22 watt LED bulbs for my backup lamps, and damn, they make it blinding. But, put the parking brake on, transfer case in N, and transmission in R, they make great docking lights.

Take your time. And communication. Use cell phones, walkie talkies, whatever it takes, because you can't see the person. Road flares could help, if you don't mind spending the money. Unless you can borrow them for free.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I 2nd that. I have 22 watt LED bulbs for my backup lamps, and damn, they make it blinding. But, put the parking brake on, transfer case in N, and transmission in R, they make great docking lights.

Take your time. And communication. Use cell phones, walkie talkies, whatever it takes, because you can't see the person. Road flares could help, if you don't mind spending the money. Unless you can borrow them for free.
I bet you would be a Big hit in the Campgrounds when you set it on FIRE walking around with a (Road Flare) especially in the fall with lots of leaves on the ground! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
Site Team

Being Christmas season, you can probably pick up long strings of outdoor (or even indoor) Christmas lights for next to nothing. Be very easy to just unroll them around the sides and back of the camping pad to outline the perimeter of it at night, and plug them into the pedestal, so you could see where to go.

You could do the same thing with rope lights.......and then hang either the christmas lights or rope lights around the campsite for ambient lighting as so many other campers do.

Just a suggestion, feel free to hate it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Being Christmas season, you can probably pick up long strings of outdoor (or even indoor) Christmas lights for next to nothing. Be very easy to just unroll them around the sides and back of the camping pad to outline it at night, and plug them into the pedestal, so you could see where to go.

You could do the same thing with rope lights.......and then hang either the christmas lights or rope lights around the campsite for ambient lighting as so many other campers do.

Just a suggestion, feel free to hate it.
On a lark, we used Christmas lights (hanging "icicle lights at that") a few years back around the inside of our EZ-up-like canopy. It worked better than any individual light ever could have. Nice easy light and no shadows.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Broken Toe

it seems every time I get home from camping I am putting the camper in the driveway at night. I got 4 of those little solar walkway lights ( Link here ) to show the corners and sides of my driveway space. they don't light up enough to see by, but they are very helpful in defining where the boundaries are. You would be surprised how much they help.

Put one on each corner of your lot, and maybe one down each side. If you happen to clobber one, no big loss. I was thinking about making a small mount for 4 of them on my tongue. that way they are charged and ready to go, and I can use them for backing up, or as mood lights when camping if I don't need them.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd just leave the camper hooked up till morning.

Hook hose up.
Hook power up.
Put sildes out.
Go to bed. Well.... few drinks then go to bed.

In most cases holding the foot on brake helps with backing vision. "Led lights are bright man"

We mostly use pull thru spots as well.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #17

That is one of the reasons that I always request pull thrus and am not happy when I can't get them. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
That is one of the reasons that I always request pull thrus and am not happy when I can't get them. Good Luck
That is the cop out site. Back it in!!!
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
10x

Pull thru, back in, day or night I don't care.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
Pull thru, back in, day or night I don't care.
X2

Tags
trailer