Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

No hook-ups

How long can I go on one 79ah battery being conservative to very conservative. . It seems there is not a whole lot constantly running off 12v. I figure the fridge and the LP and smoke detector. Then the water pump when needed.

We are planning on at least a week with out hook-ups.

I have a 2011 Mini light 1809. I'm not sure what other info may be needed to help with an answer.

Thanks, Paul
psmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

the big question is furnace usage. one cold nite using the furnace, can completely drain one battery by morning.

but, just sitting without a battery disconnect, the parasitic drains, alone, can empty a battery in one week.

i seriously doubt, even with conservation, that one battery will last a full week without recharging.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
I believe what was said(other forum) is you have between .75 to 2 amps for running smoke detector LP detector and fridge. Your water pump takes about 5-7 amps.

That being said being very conservative MAYBE 2-3 days TOPS.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
I believe what was said(other forum) is you have between .75 to 2 amps for running smoke detector LP detector and fridge. Your water pump takes about 5-7 amps.

That being said being very conservative MAYBE 2-3 days TOPS.
X2
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

One other note. You shouldn't run the battery below 40%. If you do it causes premature failure. Therefore 75Ah you actually have about 40 Ah you should use.

LPG detector draws .2 amps
Single dual bulb light (198 bulbs) 2.3 amps
Single dual bulb light (LED panels) .1 amps
Light fixture over dining table (4 198 bulbs) 4.5 amps
Single reading light over bed (1 198 bulb) .8 amps
Recessed Halogen lighting, living room (6 lights) 8.4 amps Full on
2.1 amps Fully dimmed
Recessed Halogen lighting, over sink (1 light) 1.4 amps Full on
.4 amps Fully dimmed
Recessed Halogen lighting, over couch (3 lights) 4 amps Full on
1.2 amps Fully Dimmed
Refrigerator 1.2 amps
Furnace
(Suburban SF35) 7 amps
Water Pump (Shurflo Smart Sensor 5.7) 11.9 amps running, 12.6 max
Exterior porch lights (3 incandescent bulbs) 2.8 amps
Exterior Porch Lights (3 LED bulbs) .8 amps

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...draw-9890.html

Old 02-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #6

Thanks for all that info! I am considering another battery to hook up in parallel to get at least twice as many amps. I realize that running a battery down is not great for it and will shorten the life of the battery but if you only drain it every now and them, it can't be that bad. Can it?

The chart is nice and I can see where LED will really help out in reduction of power usage.

I think I'm going to test out the system to see how long a charge will last while the trailer is sitting in my driveway. I'll fire up the fridge and let it sit. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks, Paul
Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #7

Paul

Just buy a small Generator so that you can recharge the battery.
When we had a TT we had two batteries. One stayed fully charged all the time.
jcts43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #8

Another Reason to invest in a Good Generator. I have a Honda 2000, Not a Big one by any means, and its helps my 30' Sandpiper keeping it Charged by running it every other day at the Most for 2 hours or so, Full tank will last me 6 hours running strieght

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #9

You can also rent generators at the local tool rental shops.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcn View Post
...I realize that running a battery down is not great for it and will shorten the life of the battery but if you only drain it every now and them, it can't be that bad. Can it?
Early in our trailer camping experience, before we had a generator and before I knew any better, I would run the battery down too far and found from then on, it would never hold a very good charge and was pretty well useless within a few months. I now monitor my batteries and don't let them get below 50%. My current ones I have had for 3 years and they are still going strong.

One thing you can do to extend use of a battery while camping is to use flashlights or battery powered lanterns for lighting and not the trailer lights, as the lights (unless LED) draw quite a bit of power.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Or buy a set of Trojan T105 6volt batteries. They give you 447 min @25 amp draw. You do need 2 of them in series though. They are very heavy though but are probably the one of the best batteries on the market, Troojan also makes 12v units and you would need 2 of them to come close to the 6V's capacity. But you do get what you pay for.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

If you do use your batteries a lot (dry camping) you will NEED a dedicated 3 stage battery charger and a generator to replace the current you draw when the generator is not running.

Your house power center is designed to provide 110 volt AC and 12 volt DC to power the appliances in your camper. It also will charge your batteries but will do so in stages designed to maximize the life of the battery (IE SLOWLY).

While you can pull out 50% of the batteries maximum possible amps in a few short hours; it can take DAYS to replace using the house power center alone. The bigger the bank in amps; the longer the process takes since the stages shift as a percentage of battery capacity (whether measured by voltage; specific gravity; or internal computer).

There is a fixed amount of amp output for each stage of charge. Having a 500 amp hour bank will take 10 times longer to recharge than a 50 amp hour bank.

Running the generator DOES NOT HELP HERE. It uses the SAME power center as shore power. DAYS to top off your bank...

It is far better to plug a dedicated Deep Cycle Battery Charger into an outlet on the generator and hook THAT to your batteries than use the on board power center. Just make sure if you are using a computer to monitor your battery status the PLUS clamp/terminal is located where the red wires split to go to your batteries + terminals (so all batteries are charged) and the Negative clamp/terminal is on the HOUSE SIDE of the Ammeter Shunt so the computer notes the increased amps into the batteries.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #13

Yeah what lou said lol

Old 02-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #14

All great info!! Thanks. Looks like I have a little homework to do in order to make a good decision.

How much charging happens while hooked to the TV's 12v connection? My truck also has a 3.3amp/400w inverter but I don't think that will be of much use, seem like an expensive generator.

Paul
Old 02-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcn View Post
How much charging happens while hooked to the TV's 12v connection? Paul
not more than a trickle. a TV's alternator is a poor source for recharging your trailer's battery and is really only a last resort.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #16

If you search online there are a few retailers selling LED conversion lighting that uses the existing light fixtures. I haven't tried them yet but looks interesting. Thought I would just replace the one on lights that get used most. Should help the battery last longer.
dan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #17

What is the advantage of two 6V batteries? I have seen that mentioned on other threads.
dan747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you do use your batteries a lot (dry camping) you will NEED a dedicated 3 stage battery charger and a generator to replace the current you draw when the generator is not running.

Your house power center is designed to provide 110 volt AC and 12 volt DC to power the appliances in your camper. It also will charge your batteries but will do so in stages designed to maximize the life of the battery (IE SLOWLY).

While you can pull out 50% of the batteries maximum possible amps in a few short hours; it can take DAYS to replace using the house power center alone. The bigger the bank in amps; the longer the process takes since the stages shift as a percentage of battery capacity (whether measured by voltage; specific gravity; or internal computer).

There is a fixed amount of amp output for each stage of charge. Having a 500 amp hour bank will take 10 times longer to recharge than a 50 amp hour bank.

Running the generator DOES NOT HELP HERE. It uses the SAME power center as shore power. DAYS to top off your bank...

It is far better to plug a dedicated Deep Cycle Battery Charger into an outlet on the generator and hook THAT to your batteries than use the on board power center. Just make sure if you are using a computer to monitor your battery status the PLUS clamp/terminal is located where the red wires split to go to your batteries + terminals (so all batteries are charged) and the Negative clamp/terminal is on the HOUSE SIDE of the Ammeter Shunt so the computer notes the increased amps into the batteries.
Thanks,

I took a look at the converter on my trailer and it says its a 3 stage system

Absorption Mode: @ 13.6 Vdc nominal battery charge and appliance power

Bulk Mode @14.4 Vdc fast battery charge for 4 hrs and appliance power.

Float mode: @ 13.2 Vdc trickle charge during storage.

It seems I have the 3 stages needed or is this incorrect. The Bulk and float are almost the same as my tender I use for all my other batteries. And it will cycle between the two.

If this system is adequate it looks like a 1000w generator my be just enough to get me through longer boon-docking periods and not drain and kill the batterie(s) I would concider a larger generator but If I'm going to need the AC I will find a CC with hookups.

Whatdoyathink??
Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Well here is the deal. If you use any 12 volt appliance it will cut down on available amps that would have gone to charge your batteries. Say in charge mode you can generate 15 amps from the house power center and you have the tv and some lights on. Only about 6 amps make it to your batteries.

You can pull a lot of amps quickly but it takes a LONG time on generator powered house converter to put it back.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
Site Team

psmcn, i think you'll find that a 2000w inverter generator will only be slightly more than the 1000w one.
with the 2000, you'll be able to run the microwave and everything else but the a/c.
with the 1000w, you'll be limited to a few things and battery charging.

and, if you get a 2000w from Honda/Yamaha or Champion, you'll be able to buy another one later and parallel them, which will come in handy if you move up to a bigger RV.