RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Prime Member

Next summer, we are headed from Massachusetts to Yellowstone for a few days then down to Denver for a family reunion before heading home. It is a 3 1/2 day drive each way if I can keep to my goal of 700 miles driven each day so half of my total vacation will be on the road. No time for dilly dallying.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 11-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #22

I believe Cabela's will let you stay in their parking lots, too. And some of them have dump stations (but expect to pay for dumping - that's a WHOLE 'nother thread!).

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
This is our choice as well. For the price of a darn tasty dinner, most cracker Barrels have a dedicated RV/Truck parking area and do not mind you putting out a bedroom slide or running your generator.

Unless it is just a quick 4 hour nap in a rest area, Cracker Barrel is our preferred overnight to Wallydocking
Maybe an RV but no trucks. Cracker Barrel don't allow tractor trailers on their lots.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
I'm seeing reference to "over night" stops on several forums. How do these compare to camp sites or state / county parks?
Greetings PamJohnZephyr. “Overnight” simply means stopping at place where your only intent is to sleep over before resuming travel the next morning. Folks doing an “overnight” stop usually arrive late afternoon or early evening and are often back on the road at sunrise. Locations vary depending on personal desires, planning, site availability, and safety. Some folks prefer designated camp facilities or highway rest areas, others are fine with the convenience of a wide shoulder just off pavement. As indicated by all of the various answers, it's clear that site selections and preferences are purely a personal choice.
I am new to RV camping. We acquired our first RV (25-ft motorhome) in August this year and already have nearly 8,000 miles. We've spent more time in our motorhome than in our foundation home and we're loving it. While RV camping is new to me, camping is something I've done past 60 years … usually in remote places. For me, if I need to “overnight” somewhere, my preferences are usually simple … park far enough from the road so not to get hit by a drunk driver and so I'm not disturbed by highway noise. Of course, access, parking surface, and site level are also always important. To illustrate, while traveling to select destinations, we've done “overnight” camped: at Cabela's parking lots; on flat spots near Hwy 95 (Jordan Valley and Rome, Oregon); at Forest Service and BLM campsites; on the edge of Hwy 25 south of Hollister, California; near a mountain lake above Yosemite Valley (caught some nice trout there); on a residential street in Bend, Oregon; at Magic Reservoir in Idaho (to many mosquitoes); unknown places in Utah; at various highway rest stops; and, at places along the coast of California and Oregon. Never had a problem at any overnight camp. Except for one Forest Service campground, we've never paid for an overnight stop. Once at destination, however, we normally rent or register for the duration of our visit.
As to your question, “How do these compare to camp sites or state / county parks?” For my experience, they don't really compare because they are very different. For the most part “overnight” spots are not intended for camping … just a place to park-&-sleep. However, some of my “overnight” sites were far more beautiful than many campgrounds, but most are were quite dismal … just a place to park-&-sleep, and then move on. Yet, some highway rest stops, such Button Point, Nevada provide travelers free dump and potable water, others provide free Wifi, but most provide only a place to park-&-sleep. A roadside “overnight” stop in Yosemite National Park was nothing but a stop off-the-pavement, but the view was unbelievable (fishing was nice too). Pillars of Rome in Oregon, was an interesting place to spend a night and explore (although a fence was being erected while we were there), but a larger RV would be hard pressed to find a place to park or turn around. As I gain more experience, I am beginning to plan overnight stops and thus I am beginning to find many these stops increasingly pleasant; I see more of our future evolving toward boondocking. This is not a cost or affordability issue; as a disabled vet most federal campgrounds are half-price and California State Parks (and others) are free. For me, it's simply a personal preference; it's about what I am comfortable with, and what I enjoy. (By the way, I love shopping Cabela's … but their overnight camp (and every other parking lot) not so much … they're only just an easy place to park-&-sleep – nothing more.) … just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
If i get to the point i cant afford to stay in an RV park over nite I will just Stay at Home.
It's never been about the money for me. It's about not feeling like/being a giant jerk- would you prefer I pull into a campground next to you at 11pm or later? Try as I might, we aren't as quiet as I'd prefer at that time of night.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #26

I'm in the camp if you can't afford to pay for a campground spot then stay home. I see way to many campers camped out at Walmart, it's going to be banned and not by Walmart but by the towns and cities

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I'm in the camp if you can't afford to pay for a campground spot then stay home. I see way to many campers camped out at Walmart, it's going to be banned and not by Walmart but by the towns and cities
X2
Old 11-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #28

Quote:

X3
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #29
Prime Member

To all those who object to the quick overnight stop at a Walmart consider this:

It's 10pm and we've been on the road since 6AM. We don't have camping reservations because we weren't certain how far we'd get before needing to stop for the night. We're 700+ miles from home and unfamiliar with the area.

What do you suggest we do?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
To all those who object to the quick overnight stop at a Walmart consider this:

It's 10pm and we've been on the road since 6AM. We don't have camping reservations because we weren't certain how far we'd get before needing to stop for the night. We're 700+ miles from home and unfamiliar with the area.

What do you suggest we do?
Shorten your drive time, plan your day on miles, find a CG with in that.

I have overnighted in two rest areas due to poor math on my part or we would have been in a CG.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #31

There is those who are campers and stay in parks , and then there are we who are Travelers and stop were ever it is convenient .
We travel slowly and visit small towns , flea markets , cemeteries , any thing and everything .
We have been on the road since June 6th and have paid less than $ 500 in camping fees . Tonight we are in a pasture with cows all around us , with owners permission .
Not difficult to talk your way into staying behind an antique store , fruit stand , police station , sheriff office if ya ask nice . In over 150 days on the road we have paid for 34 nites and have been invited back to all of our free spots
Who sez only people with money get to camp ?
Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #32
Prime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Shorten your drive time, plan your day on miles, find a CG with in that.

I have overnighted in two rest areas due to poor math on my part or we would have been in a CG.

Not always an option. We are not retired and have a school aged child. When taking along trip we have a limited vacation window and must cover as much ground as we can in as short a time as possible to maximize our time at our destination.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #33

You go, Bob!
Old 11-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #34
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:

And what do you do when the campground refuses to allow any one to check in after 9 pm, you get caught in traffic jam caused by an accident? And BTW did not offer refunds. Paid $40 for a campground I couldn't use.

No campgrounds between that one and where you got caught? It has happened to me several times. The last go around we spent over 6 hours to go less than 100 miles. We would have taken an alternate route if we had been able to get to one. But by the time Google warned me it was too late to get off the interstate.

I am glad you have all the time in the world and can plan a perfect trip every time.

I will use a WM, Cracker Barrel or other safe location for a quick overnight. Yes I prefer campgrounds, however they aren't always convenient, cost effective or even available. I WILL NOT pay more for a short night stay in a campground than I would pay for a motel room.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
Old 11-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #35

Quote:

That's your prerogative. I can surely afford to camp in a campground but sometimes we travel all day and into the night, I try to be respectful by not pulling into a campground at 11:00 at night with my diesel making such a racket and then getting up at 5 and "warming" up my diesel so I can head back out again, for us it's the convenience of stopping close to the hiway or interstate without driving miles off course to find a CG.

Most Walmarts that do not allow overnight stays are posted because of City ordinances.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #36

I can see the argument for both sides. We have used Cracker Barrel many times, I like the food anyway. I have planned a few long trips, and like some, I drive until 8:00-9:00, pull in for dinner and crash. Very convenient. We have also been in the position of being in some very bad traffic and being forced into driving longer than expected to keep on schedule, so pulling into a CB late at night is also comforting knowing you always can find one. I actually just planned a two week trip to start to see some of the other half of this country, already reserved sites where we HOPE we make it to on certain nights, and WILL also crash at CB for our "traveling" nights, not really sure where we will end up as far as miles driven. As far as the comments about not being able to afford a campground you should stay home, what difference does it make if I pay for a campsite, or buy dinner at a restaurant that will let me crash in the back?
Old 11-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
There is those who are campers and stay in parks , and then there are we who are Travelers and stop were ever it is convenient .
We travel slowly and visit small towns , flea markets , cemeteries , any thing and everything .
We have been on the road since June 6th and have paid less than $ 500 in camping fees . Tonight we are in a pasture with cows all around us , with owners permission .
Not difficult to talk your way into staying behind an antique store , fruit stand , police station , sheriff office if ya ask nice . In over 150 days on the road we have paid for 34 nites and have been invited back to all of our free spots
Who sez only people with money get to camp ?
I'm with you. Sounds like you're having an awesome sojourn! Where is your journey taking you? We enjoy the western states, primarily because of the rural, remote, or open areas; perhaps that's also my comfort zone … I love to hear coyotes sing at night or to watch a night sky far from artificial light. We also travel slowly, and are easily distracted by small town scenes, or detoured to interesting sights. We love the freedom of traveling with no particular schedule … it provides the flexibility to really enjoy places and often meet wonderful people. For me, being tied to a campground reservation schedule would completely ruin the venture. I feel pity for folks still trapped to schedules, but understand that working folks need to make the best use of a limited vacation. As for retired folks – if you're constantly yoked to schedules and campgrounds, then you haven't yet retired. If you've got to be at a proper campground every night, then you may as well stay home. It's not about cost … it's about the journey!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #38

Over night stops

The one option I haven't seen here is getting a motel room for the night if the weather is bad, the wife is anxious to sleep, both of us needing showers and we're just too damn tired to mess with the set-up. Call it lazy, anti-camping or whatever, but it works for us and we can get on the road the next day after a free hot breakfast, refreshed and ready for another 400-500 miles.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:04 PM   #39

Too many posts here about "keeping on schedule" and "driving till I can't keep my eyes open anymore". Really? If that's where your head is at, especially if you have kids, then its time to step back and re-evaluate what you do when you're not "on vacation". Stay home and enjoy your kids rather than get on the road and endanger their lives and the lives of others. If you can't enjoy the journey then take a plane. JMHO

Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #40

Too much bashing of all kinds on this thread.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Closed Thread