Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:04 AM   #41
Insert witty title here

Over night stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
Too many posts here about "keeping on schedule" and "driving till I can't keep my eyes open anymore". Really? If that's where your head is at, especially if you have kids, then its time to step back and re-evaluate what you do when you're not "on vacation". Stay home and enjoy your kids rather than get on the road and endanger their lives and the lives of others. If you can't enjoy the journey then take a plane. JMHO

There is also an economy factor here.

Next summer, we are leaving from Massachusetts and doing a loop through the midwest with stops planned at Mt Rushmore, The Badlands, Yellowstone and Denver. The cost of doing a trip like that via planes, rental cars, hotel rooms and restaurants for 3 people is FAR more expensive than doing this as an RV trip.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 11-28-2016, 12:10 AM   #42
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Too much bashing of all kinds on this thread.

There is a discussion going on. Not everyone agrees with each other but I feel everyone is being respectful.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
That's your prerogative. I can surely afford to camp in a campground but sometimes we travel all day and into the night, I try to be respectful by not pulling into a campground at 11:00 at night with my diesel making such a racket and then getting up at 5 and "warming" up my diesel so I can head back out again, for us it's the convenience of stopping close to the hiway or interstate without driving miles off course to find a CG.

Most Walmarts that do not allow overnight stays are posted because of City ordinances.

I'm in this camp-- has nothing to do with the money-- If I have a destination I can not see stopping at 3 pm just to set around for hours doing nothing. I ll take my time & drive that 5 hours or more. Stop at a Walmart and head back out at 5 am. Always was an early riser.

No unhooking toad & easy in easy out. And as a side note I'm sure WM likes me as we always spend $$ there as appreciation for our site!!

Russell
Old 11-28-2016, 07:00 AM   #44

Not wanting to start a bashing thread, just pointing out when some if us feel the need to drive for an extended time for a day or two or three to get where we are going to make the most out of where we are going, some if us just go about it differently and don't have a problem doing it like that.
6 of one, or half a dozen of another

Please, no matter how many hours, or miles y'all NEED to drive in a day, please be safe!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
To all those who object to the quick overnight stop at a Walmart consider this:

It's 10pm and we've been on the road since 6AM. We don't have camping reservations because we weren't certain how far we'd get before needing to stop for the night. We're 700+ miles from home and unfamiliar with the area.

What do you suggest we do?

I drive that far and farther and I always have a campground to spend the night in, it's all about planning. I don't never get to the campground after dark. It takes planning but you do what you want too. I still say if you can't afford the campground fees then stay home, I guess it's all about getting something for nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingbob View Post
There is those who are campers and stay in parks , and then there are we who are Travelers and stop were ever it is convenient .
We travel slowly and visit small towns , flea markets , cemeteries , any thing and everything .
We have been on the road since June 6th and have paid less than $ 500 in camping fees . Tonight we are in a pasture with cows all around us , with owners permission .
Not difficult to talk your way into staying behind an antique store , fruit stand , police station , sheriff office if ya ask nice . In over 150 days on the road we have paid for 34 nites and have been invited back to all of our free spots
Who sez only people with money get to camp ?

You know that's what wrong with America now, its all about getting something for nothing. I guess it's all about being cheap.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 AM   #47
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
You know that's what wrong with America now, its all about getting something for nothing. I guess it's all about being cheap.

Can we please keep the discussion civil? I'm really enjoying the discussion and really don't want the mods shutting the thread down because of insulting and disrespectful posts like this.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Can we please keep the discussion civil? I'm really enjoying the discussion and really don't want the mods shutting the thread down because of insulting and disrespectful posts like this.

I didn't say anything disrespectful, I just told the truth. It's all about getting something for nothing. Campground owners are in business to make money just like fuel stations. We don't get free fuel, well we do get free food. I usually start looking for a campground about 12 o'clock and I can find one somewhere before it gets dark. Some people say well I'm not getting anything for my money if I just sleep for the night, I have a satellite so I don't need cable and I have a washer/dryer. Basically all I need is a place to sleep and I'm willing to pay for it. It's just like food and diesel to me. It is about the journey and I enjoy the ride. And meeting nice people and seeing what's around the next curve in the road

Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #49
Insert witty title here

If someone is offering me something for free, I am not being cheap by not going elewhere and paying for it.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 AM   #50

Thanks everyone for the spirited give and take. We are recently retired and are first time RVing. Had no idea there was sooooo much to learn about the lifestyle! So far we've stayed at a state park and a private campground. All good experiences. Planning a bigger trip over winter from Wisconsin to Florida. I'm finding it fun to use the Google Map features along with Good Sam app and others mapping a route. Trying to hit as many Passport America spots along the way to save money. (Gotta pay attention to the fine print!) The plan is to arrive at a site by 3pm or so in order to set up in daylight until I'm more comfortable with that process. Back on the road by 10am or so. We have the time so we're not in a rush. Knowing there are always "plan B options" in stopping at rest areas or store parking lots is a comfort should weather or traffic become an issue. Thanks again for the input. Safe travels everyone....hope to meet up on the road!
Old 11-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #51

Quote:

I agree that's what's wrong with MOST of America but I really don't believe this has anything to do with being cheap, more of a convenience, we probably end up spending more money in Walmart than we would at a campground.

Again if you like to stay in campgrounds or not that's up to you.

If we all liked the same thing Baskin-Robbins would never haveven existed.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Old 11-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #52
Senior Senior Member

The two people I know that take advantage of WM stays do very careful planning to make sure they can park there, and their travel routes and time schedules are pretty much based on that.
They both absolutely could afford the campground approach but consider them selves to be thrifty by staying free.
I say 2-may-toe, you say 2-ma-toe
You say thrifty, I say cheap...... but not in a disrespectful way... just friendly ribbing.

Now then, driving your RV or pulling your TT until you can't keep your eyes open?
Shame on you.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
Thanks everyone for the spirited give and take. We are recently retired and are first time RVing. Had no idea there was sooooo much to learn about the lifestyle! So far we've stayed at a state park and a private campground. All good experiences. Planning a bigger trip over winter from Wisconsin to Florida. I'm finding it fun to use the Google Map features along with Good Sam app and others mapping a route. Trying to hit as many Passport America spots along the way to save money. (Gotta pay attention to the fine print!) The plan is to arrive at a site by 3pm or so in order to set up in daylight until I'm more comfortable with that process. Back on the road by 10am or so. We have the time so we're not in a rush. Knowing there are always "plan B options" in stopping at rest areas or store parking lots is a comfort should weather or traffic become an issue. Thanks again for the input. Safe travels everyone....hope to meet up on the road!
Two places in Georgia we have overnighted are I-75 RV Park near Tifton, GA and Twin Oaks RV Park, which is at exit 127, Elko, GA. I-75 is right on the interstate and has pull through sites. Twin Oaks is nicer and also has many pull through sites. We did not unhook at either place. I do not remember the cost per night at either place, however. We would stay at either of these spots again in the future for overnighting purposes.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #54

Quote:
I guess it's all about being cheap.
well, this is just like last time, you guessed WRONG AGAIN, .......

this is a CHOICE issue, .... why is it, that if we don't choose to play by YOUR rules, we're cheap??...... No one is condemning you if you stop at 3 in the afternoon to find a cg,.... its your time, your money and your trip, and it seems a little self-righteous of you to judge us as "cheap", if we don't spend OUR time and OUR money the same way you spend yours. ........ IMO you really have guessed wrong again, ........... happy trailering ...........

Old 11-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
well, this is just like last time, you guessed WRONG AGAIN, .......

this is a CHOICE issue, .... why is it, that if we don't choose to play by YOUR rules, we're cheap??...... No one is condemning you if you stop at 3 in the afternoon to find a cg,.... its your time, your money and your trip, and it seems a little self-righteous of you to judge us as "cheap", if we don't spend OUR time and OUR money the same way you spend yours. ........ IMO you really have guessed wrong again, ........... happy trailering ...........

Opinions is like something else everyone has one, it's my opinion that you expect something for nothing. But hey do what you like. I think more towns are coming up with ordnances to stop people from camping at Walmart. It seems to me the new neighbor markets that Walmart is putting in is designed to keep out RV's and trucks. I could care less what someone else does or where they camp at. I have the money to pay for the truck and diesel that pulls the Cedar Creek and pay for the food and pay for the campground spots. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, I'm just saying what I think when I see people camping out at Walmart. People say well we spend as much money at Walmart to pay for a campground spot, yea right

Old 11-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #56

Well Spock, I have to disagree with you on this one. Our local Walmarts actually encourage RVers to stay in their lots and have security that helps them park. Also tells them the rules and that they can only stay one night. And the new neighborhood wallie world they just built has a section just for longer vehicles and diesel pumps at the fuel island. Maybe things are different where you are, but our community and Walmarts sure seem to welcome RVers!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM   #57

I don't see any problem with a quick overnight at a rest area, Walmart, etc, to get some needed rest. Multiple nights? No thanks.

But, things may not always be what they appear to be. Last August while at the Bristol Nascar race I saw two American Coach motorhomes pull into a Walmart. I mention the brand because those units sell for over $600,000. I thought that's really being cheap because there were numerous campgrounds within 3-5 miles that one could get into for $200. That price is a flat rate for one night or eight nights.

The next night the motorhomes were still there. Toads disconnected, slides and leveler out and generators running. Now I'm thinking that's really being cheap. Surely if one can afford the cost of those rigs then what's the big deal about $200. I've spent more than that for dinner for three.

The next morning when I went shopping I saw them pulling out. A guy in a Class C was getting ready to leave so I asked him if Walmart had run them off. Nope. Seems as though the guy who made a reservation for their campground had only reserved one week. The problem was they had arrived on Sunday and found the campground closed because the "week" didn't start until Tuesday (they had arrived on Sunday). So, they all waited at Walmart.

I can understand that. Paying $200 each to stay two nights in the middle of a grass field (strictly dry camping) is a total waste of money. One doesn't get to be in a position to buy a 600k MH by wasting money like that. BTW... the CG they reserved cost over $1,000 for the week but had full hookups and nice parking pads.

If that had been me and someone said it was there opinion I was being cheap I would have politely replied "Sorry, but I think you have confused me with someone who gives a **** what your opinion is".
Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurek View Post
I found this at the Kamloops BC Walmart parking lot. I'm sure it has more to do with the property management/ownership making the rules.

I wouldn't be to sure of that, last winter in Florida City walmart some camper decided to empty his black tank on an grass island. Got caught by camera, the police came at 10:00 PM and threw everyone out, said per Walmart. Got some real dummies out there...

Old 11-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #59

Quote:
I didn't say anything disrespectful, I just told the truth. It's all about getting something for nothing. Campground owners are in business to make money just like fuel stations. We don't get free fuel, well we do get free food. I usually start looking for a campground about 12 o'clock and I can find one somewhere before it gets dark. Some people say well I'm not getting anything for my money if I just sleep for the night, I have a satellite so I don't need cable and I have a washer/dryer. Basically all I need is a place to sleep and I'm willing to pay for it. It's just like food and diesel to me. It is about the journey and I enjoy the ride. And meeting nice people and seeing what's around the next curve in the road

Everybody has what works for them . when i'm going from point a to point b i have no problem pulling into a rest area for the night or walmart . none of it is free we all pay taxes for the rest areas and buy at walmart . no need to find a campground for a night what a waste . sometimes a campground is more convenient then i'll pull in for the night . but have spent quite a few nights in rest areas and they work out well . after all it's just to eat and sleep . cheap , thrift, whatever . but no need to fit into some schedule to pay a campground owner $35 to sleep . one reason i have an rv is not to pay for hotels and campgrounds . lord knows i spend 7500 a yr on campgrounds so the free nights stay while between these destinations is fine and dandy . call it what you want but those real full time rv'ers know how and where to go with out spending a fortune. it's the only way to go . bet you never used coupons , or sought out a deal when it comes to spending money
Old 11-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #60

Look down your nose at me all you wish. When I need to park for 10 hours to eat, sleep and shower then I'm going to find somewhere quick and easy. That's going to be a rest stop, truck stop or Walmart.

Once I buy a tank of fuel, dinner, a few supplies I've torn a $100 bill to shreds. It's not about being cheap and I can afford any campground you can show me. It's about convenience, it's about easy, it's about not disturbing anyone as I show up at midnight.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
Closed Thread