Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Packing outdoor kitchen fridge

The last trip we took, we put the adult beverages in the outdoor kitchen fridge laying down on the shelves. Once we got to the campground and opened up the kitchen, we knew we had a mess. We opened the fridge and a few bottles fell down and broke. Beverage disaster!
Before our next trip this coming Friday, I need to figure out how to pack it with any casualties. I'm thinking of stuffing a towel or two between the shelves and door to sort of hold everything in place. Any ideas from this great community? I'm sure those of you that have the outdoor kitchen have thought of something!!!
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
The last trip we took, we put the adult beverages in the outdoor kitchen fridge laying down on the shelves. Once we got to the campground and opened up the kitchen, we knew we had a mess. We opened the fridge and a few bottles fell down and broke. Beverage disaster!
Before our next trip this coming Friday, I need to figure out how to pack it with any casualties. I'm thinking of stuffing a towel or two between the shelves and door to sort of hold everything in place. Any ideas from this great community? I'm sure those of you that have the outdoor kitchen have thought of something!!!
Hmmm.... I haven't had that situation as of yet, and I've packed it full of bottles, and have driven thousands of miles. Packing towels would be a good idea if you feel they are bouncing around too much.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Expandable tension rods for fridges hold my precious beers in place.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	0007004213341_500X500.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	30797
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
B47

This issue has been discussed here before - do a search.

As for how we deal with this issue was to latch a bungee cord across the refrig door using latch points that were convenient.

It shouldn't be necessary to do anything extra to keep the door latched during travel, but these refrigs were not designed for this use - they are meant for use in dorm rooms,offices etc.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

Hmmmmm, think I may try the expandable rods with the towel. Can't afford a mishap next weekend. It's my birthday
Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Hmmmmm, think I may try the expandable rods with the towel. Can't afford a mishap next weekend. It's my birthday
That is one way to secure your bottles/ cans, but it will not keep the door closed during travel and who wants warm beer?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post

That is one way to secure your bottles/ cans, but it will not keep the door closed during travel and who wants warm beer?
I hear ya, the issue is with them falling inside and breaking. I keep the door shut with a big bungee cord. No issues keeping them cold, it's keeping them whole!!!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #9

I keep a wide roll of blue painters tape in my drawer and tape the door shut in about 4 places prior to travel. Saves big messes and precious beers.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Missing Link

Towels work good and I made this to keep the fridge closed and open. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sed-24500.html
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Fridge doesn't work while traveling anyway as it only works when plugged into shore power.
Beverages going to be warm regardless.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Fridge doesn't work while traveling anyway as it only works when plugged into shore power.
Wow man.. way to rain down on a Monday... oh wait! IT is Raining... and... it is Monday...

Turbo, yea, you're right... but what i do is plug in in the driveway a day or day and half before we set out, to get the inside fridge cold and packed and that allows for the outside one to get cold too. Then before we leave, i pack the outside fridge with the beverages and it stays cold for the duration of our trip, usually no more than 2 hours so far..
We did the cooler/ice thing, and for some trips, that's fine (usually means MORE beverages ) but for the weekend trips... the small fridge works just fine......
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Wow man.. way to rain down on a Monday... oh wait! IT is Raining... and... it is Monday...

Turbo, yea, you're right... but what i do is plug in in the driveway a day or day and half before we set out, to get the inside fridge cold and packed and that allows for the outside one to get cold too. Then before we leave, i pack the outside fridge with the beverages and it stays cold for the duration of our trip, usually no more than 2 hours so far..
We did the cooler/ice thing, and for some trips, that's fine (usually means MORE beverages ) but for the weekend trips... the small fridge works just fine......
I do the same.
Mines fired up today and stocked for the weekend.
Our holiday weekend spot is 40 minutes away so no problem!
Hmmm actually I have to restock after yesterday!
Have a great weekend!

Turbs
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
B47

Quote:
Yes you are correct, but we found on short trips or short time intervals (2-4 hours) between opening the door that beverages would stay cool if the door stayed closed if the beverages were cold when we started out.

So depending on the time interval or trip distance the beverages could stay at least cool if the door remained close.

Regardless, the stupid door should stay closed like you would expect any refrig to do and FR should have made certain that the doors stay closed during travel because they are the people who put these refrig in their RV's to begin with.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iawolfpack6 View Post
I keep a wide roll of blue painters tape in my drawer and tape the door shut in about 4 places prior to travel. Saves big messes and precious beers.
That works also, but isn't it a shame that after buying these expensive units that we have to use tape or bungee cords to keep a refrig door closed?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

That works also, but isn't it a shame that after buying these expensive units that we have to use tape or bungee cords to keep a refrig door closed?
You know if you velcro the appropriate size spacer to the ok door when shut it'll hold the fridge door shut.
In all fairness its a household fridge not designed to travel down the hiway.
Why do you think the interior fridge has latches?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
B47

Quote:
You know if you velcro the appropriate size spacer to the ok door when shut it'll hold the fridge door shut.
In all fairness its a household fridge not designed to travel down the hiway.
Why do you think the interior fridge has latches?
And my question to you why should we have to Velcro anything to it to keep the door closed? Do you have to Velcro anything or use tape or bungee cords on your home refrig or even the indoor refrig?

And yes it is a household fridge "not designed to travel down the hiway"

Then why did FR put these units in units that are designed to travel down the hiway?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To get you fired up!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #19

If you go in the baby safety aisle at walmart or wherever, they have a refrigerator latch that will keep the door shut. Fairly inexpensive and it works well. I put one on my minifridge at home years ago when my boys were younger and it is still attached and has held up well.

Multi-Purpose Appliance Latch 2-Pack | DJGUSA
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
B47

Quote:
To get you fired up!
Well they succeeded