Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

Pick up new RV in Elkhart tomorrow...any advice?

Finally....tomorrow we will be picking up our 2011 Sunseeker 3170ds. We purchased through RV Direct and will pick up in Elkhart. This is our first brand new RV and hoping those with experience could let us know what to expect and what to look for or ask about when we pick up.

These forums have been such a wealth of info for us! Thank you!!
bamzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #2

Check the spare tire and rim. After 4,000 miles of towing, I had a tire start cupping. Went to change it out while we were at the truck stop only to find when I pulled the cover off that I had a 5 lug rim for a 6 lug axle. It cost me 4 new tires and a days lost traveling by the time I found a rim. Also see if the new tires are bias or radials. Bias are cheap and will go away fast.
2) Kids
3) Dogs
0) Time

Kemps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new RV. I know you will like it.

Take your time and go over everything on the unit and be sure you know how to operate everything. Don't let the salesman rush you. This is a big purchase and he should be willing to take as much time as needed to be sure you are satisfied.

Here is a link to a PDI checklist I found. Print it and take it with you.

http://www.eaglecapowners.com/camper...Inspection.pdf

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Congratulations on the new RV. I know you will like it.

Take your time and go over everything on the unit and be sure you know how to operate everything. Don't let the salesman rush you. This is a big purchase and he should be willing to take as much time as needed to be sure you are satisfied.

Here is a link to a PDI checklist I found. Print it and take it with you.

http://www.eaglecapowners.com/camper...Inspection.pdf
I agree. There are many systems in the unit and you need to know how they all work.

Congrats on the new camper - have fun with it!!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #5

This is the time you want to check everything. Turn on every switch, every light and make sure everything is working. If the rig has a generator start it up and be sure it is powering the outlets correctly. Run the microwave, turn on the water heater and furnace and make sure they fire up on propane and work. Light the stove burners. If the rig has levelers make sure you know how they work and test them out. Look for obvious problems in fit and finish. Turn on the shower, flush the toilet. Open every door and drawer and make sure they open smoothly and latch securely inside and out. If it has an entertainment system, take a DVD and CD with you, pop them in and test that out too. Turn on the fridge and make sure it will work on propane and AC power. Turn on the air conditioning and see that it gets cold. If you find problems, note them and make sure the dealer fixes them before you leave if possible.

Congratulations on your new rig. Enjoy it and have fun.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamzmama View Post
Finally....tomorrow we will be picking up our 2011 Sunseeker 3170ds. We purchased through RV Direct and will pick up in Elkhart. This is our first brand new RV and hoping those with experience could let us know what to expect and what to look for or ask about when we pick up.

These forums have been such a wealth of info for us! Thank you!!
Tell Gary at RV-Direct Hello for us - we picked ours up there May 3rd. From our experience Gary will go thru everything very thoroughly with you. If you are staying in Elkhart the Elkhart Campground that Gary recommended is nice. Open pull thru spaces.

Take time to enjoy the experience of having a new unit.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the great advice!! I knew I'd get lots of help here!! Fortunately we've owned other RV's before but like I said....never brand new!

I'll be printing the checklist, thank you. Also...great idea about bringing a cd/dvd, would've never thought of that!

Thanks again!
bamzmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #8

Congratulations on the new rig!

When I bought my brand new rig, the salesman recommended that I ask the delivery person ahead to plug in the AC power and turn on the refrigerator a day ahead of time to let it get cold. I did that and at least I knew it worked when I picked it up. I know someone who picked up their brand new Roo only to find that they had a bad fridge.

I think everything else is just about covered above.

Enjoy!!
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #9

Thanks for the link to the PDI. Printed it off and taking it with us on Tuesday. So much to know and learn.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Congrats to both of you getting new units this coming week.
Enjoy them and be safe. Posts some pictures when you can. It's always great to see them.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote