Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Pink stuff for winter or not.

Iíve seen both suggestions. Does anyone know what the manufacturer suggests for the Rockwood Premier?
__________________

__________________
Divermom
Divermom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Flybob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 10,665
If you are in an area where it gets below freezing for any length of time. Then use pink stuff. Takes about an hour and is much less expensive than repairs. I doubt any manufacturer will recommend not using pink stuff in below freezing conditions.
__________________

__________________

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Scoundrel
 
HangDiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Colorado/Florida
Posts: 1,631
Antifreeze this Fall will help insure that you don't have to track down a leak next Spring.
__________________
2014 Micro Lite 19fd
2015 F-150 5.0L V8 XLT Crew Cab, 4x4, Tow Package, 36 gal tank, 3.55 locker, 1891 payload, Integrated Brake Controller, Roadmaster Active Suspension

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 13,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divermom3 View Post
Iíve seen both suggestions. Does anyone know what the manufacturer suggests for the Rockwood Premier?
If the RV is also in New York, I would use Pink RV anti-freeze! Youroo! !
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 162
Pink antifreeze is $2.50 a gallon here. Thatís pretty cheap insurance.

I blow out the lines and the suck in the antifreeze. Donít forget to blow out your black tank flusher.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
Broken Toe
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 3,503
No pink stuff for me. Never have, never will. I blow my lines out and in roughly 15 years of doing so, we've never had a problem.

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
Site Team
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 20,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divermom3 View Post
Iíve seen both suggestions. Does anyone know what the manufacturer suggests for the Rockwood Premier?
Depends on where the RV is stored.
Where we live, blowing the lines out with air and antifreeze in the traps, is sufficient. We don't have hard freezes.
Apparently you live in New York, so you should definitely use antifreeze throughout the RV. Except the FW tank.
__________________
Dan-Retired California Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
No pink stuff for me. Never have, never will. I blow my lines out and in roughly 15 years of doing so, we've never had a problem.

Tim
X2
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
No pink stuff for me. Never have, never will. I blow my lines out and in roughly 15 years of doing so, we've never had a problem.

Tim
x3

Just got down to 15 degrees last night. Am I concerned? Nope. Just have to take your time and be thorough. I don't like the idea of antifreeze anything being anywhere around my drinking water system. But I am not knocking anti freeze. If that is the way you want to go, have at it. Personal choice. Whatever works for you.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Depends on where the RV is stored.
Where we live, blowing the lines out with air and antifreeze in the traps, is sufficient. We don't have hard freezes.
Apparently you live in New York, so you should definitely use antifreeze throughout the RV. Except the FW tank.
And except the hot water heater...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
x3

I don't like the idea of antifreeze anything being anywhere around my drinking water system. But I am not knocking anti freeze. If that is the way you want to go, have at it. Personal choice. Whatever works for you.
RV antifreeze is not deadly like car/truck antifreeze is...

That is why it is pink...so we can tell it is not vehicle antifreeze.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
SPRING IS COMING!!!
 
BriaBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southern Illissouri
Posts: 520
FW Pump...

For the guys that don't fill the plumbing with Pink Stuff, how do you ensure that the water pump is not full of water?


Can you just blow air through the winterizing tube... by my reasoning, that should work...
__________________
Brian & Becky
__________________________________

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000


BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
For the guys that don't fill the plumbing with Pink Stuff, how do you ensure that the water pump is not full of water?


Can you just blow air through the winterizing tube... by my reasoning, that should work...
My dealer once told me they just blow out all the lines, disconnect the pump and then pump the pink only through the pump.

However, considering how cold it's getting already, for the OP, in a place like NY, I'd take the safer route and pump the pink through the system. If it was a place like the say, the Carolinas, maybe air alone will suffice, but in the kind of temps we see up here, the better the protection, the better.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ejs4029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 1,294
When we lived in Southern CA I never had to Winterize...This will be be my third Winter in NC now...

First Winter just drained the low drain points and drained hot water heater and added antifreeze in the traps and some in the gray and Black tanks no problems mild enough Winter lucky me.

Second Winter drained the hot water heater and blew the lines....Added anitfreeze to the traps and black and grey tanks....I didn't get all the water out of the toilet valve it cracked (Forgot to depress pedal) Coldest Winter supposedly in the last 35 years here in the Charlotte area lows for a few days in the single digits.


This year going to pump the pink stuff through the plumbing and take no chances...With that being said I'm sure that means it will be a mild Winter here
__________________
2015 Ram 2500 CTD,CC,SB,4x4
2016 Rockwood 2703 Emerald Edition
Husky CenterLine TS Hitch
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
Broken Toe
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
For the guys that don't fill the plumbing with Pink Stuff, how do you ensure that the water pump is not full of water?


Can you just blow air through the winterizing tube... by my reasoning, that should work...
I have a fitting that hooks my air compressor hose to my city water. I drain the water heater, and empty the filter housing. Then I turn on my air compressor to about 20 PSI. I open each faucet in turn till it blows air, close it, and move on to the next. Not forgetting the outside shower and toilet. I then repeat and do each faucet a second time. I do use pink stuff in my p-traps, but that's about it.

The goal is not to get rid of every molecule of water. I am sure there are droplets still in my system, but they are small enough that they do no damage when they freeze. A good rule of thumb is that you need 10 pipe diameters of water in a line with air on both sides before freezing will bust the pipe. That means a 5" slug of water in a half inch pipe. I assure you that there is nowhere near enough water left in the system to do that. ITs not the actual 'freezing' that does the damage. It's the expansion. Fill a mason jar with water and freeze it, at it will be alright. Fill it with water and put the cap on it, it will explode because there is no room for expansion. By blowing out, you evacuate almost all of the water, and whats left has room to expand.

There are people that lie awake at night worrying about freezing. I'm not one of them.

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #16
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I didn't get all the water out of the toilet valve it cracked (Forgot to depress pedal) Coldest Winter supposedly in the last 35 years here in the Charlotte area lows for a few days in the single digits.


This year going to pump the pink stuff through the plumbing and take no chances...With that being said I'm sure that means it will be a mild Winter here
That's all it takes and exactly why I always advise to pump the pink stuff through. I just did mine yesterday and even as I was blowing the air through the lines I heard and awful lot of "gurgling" even though nothing was coming out of the faucets. Then when I started pumping the AF through, I was still a bit surprised at how much clear water came through first before it turned pink.

There's no way anyone will ever convince me that it's possible to get 100% of the water out of the lines simply with air.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10,485
Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have a fitting that hooks my air compressor hose to my city water. I drain the water heater, and empty the filter housing. Then I turn on my air compressor to about 20 PSI. I open each faucet in turn till it blows air, close it, and move on to the next. Not forgetting the outside shower and toilet. I then repeat and do each faucet a second time. I do use pink stuff in my p-traps, but that's about it.

The goal is not to get rid of every molecule of water. I am sure there are droplets still in my system, but they are small enough that they do no damage when they freeze. A good rule of thumb is that you need 10 pipe diameters of water in a line with air on both sides before freezing will bust the pipe. That means a 5" slug of water in a half inch pipe. I assure you that there is nowhere near enough water left in the system to do that. ITs not the actual 'freezing' that does the damage. It's the expansion. Fill a mason jar with water and freeze it, at it will be alright. Fill it with water and put the cap on it, it will explode because there is no room for expansion. By blowing out, you evacuate almost all of the water, and whats left has room to expand.

There are people that lie awake at night worrying about freezing. I'm not one of them.

Tim
Do you add ice to mixed drinks?
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
My dealer once told me they just blow out all the lines, disconnect the pump and then pump the pink only through the pump.
I did that for about 15 years. Never had a problem and there were nights that went to -18 degrees.

If you take your time and blow it out in sequence you can get the water out and not have an issue. You still should run some pink through the pump.

With the new TT I just used the pink antifreeze and the antifreeze intake port on the trailer. I used 2-1/2 gallons which cost $7.50.

Bob

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #19
SPRING IS COMING!!!
 
BriaBeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Southern Illissouri
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have a fitting that hooks my air compressor hose to my city water. I drain the water heater, and empty the filter housing. Then I turn on my air compressor to about 20 PSI. I open each faucet in turn till it blows air, close it, and move on to the next. Not forgetting the outside shower and toilet. I then repeat and do each faucet a second time. I do use pink stuff in my p-traps, but that's about it.

The goal is not to get rid of every molecule of water. I am sure there are droplets still in my system, but they are small enough that they do no damage when they freeze. A good rule of thumb is that you need 10 pipe diameters of water in a line with air on both sides before freezing will bust the pipe. That means a 5" slug of water in a half inch pipe. I assure you that there is nowhere near enough water left in the system to do that. ITs not the actual 'freezing' that does the damage. It's the expansion. Fill a mason jar with water and freeze it, at it will be alright. Fill it with water and put the cap on it, it will explode because there is no room for expansion. By blowing out, you evacuate almost all of the water, and whats left has room to expand.

There are people that lie awake at night worrying about freezing. I'm not one of them.

Tim

Tim,


Sounds good... that's exactly what I did as well (**EDIT**... maybe not exactly... I had the air pressure at about 40psi...). Also drained the strainer at the pump inlet. I didn't run any pink into the FW plumbing or run any pink through the pump at this time.



So, if I understand, you don't do anything to specifically get the water out of the pump?


If purging the system with compressed air is adequate, I'd rather go that route than put the Pink into my FW system. As I said earlier, I'm just curious as to how to get the water out of the pump so that it doesn't freeze without using the Pink in it.
__________________
Brian & Becky
__________________________________

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS, pushing a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax w/ Allison 1000


BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #20
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
... I turn on my air compressor to about 20 PSI...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
...I had the air pressure at about 40psi...
I got ya'll beat. I set mine at 60 psi.
__________________

__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.


×