Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #21

I like staying an extra day and leaving after the mad dash for the dump station. Yesterday they were 15 deep, no waiting today when we pulled out. People aren't going to change so I just avoid them
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
Yes and yes! By all means do the zipper merge, as long as there's enough room for everyone.
There is always in any situation enough room for this or you would not be in the line. If folks behind lined up at position 3 or 33 they wait their turn. Simple concept just like a theater, the line at the drive through restaurant etc. They may have to await to merge but if everybody was honest and took their turn then no issue would exist. So please hug that middle row as you are next for courteous drivers.
TonyShope is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
Unfortunately there are those who believe they are entitled to do whatever they please…..Good luck calling them out on it….In this day and age your likely risking physical assault.
Always some punks acting tough Luckily im 6-1 and 250lbs and not very pretty Most of the time they chill them selves out real quick .

We do a big 12-14 day camping trip every summer and usually on the first weekend of the trip we have a really big group we had over 60 people last year with lots of kids running wild like kids should . We also have music and libations but we try to rent the same camp sites every year away from most other campers . We even let people know that happen to end up near us its gonna be a big family party and a little loud but we always always invite them to come eat and drink with us and assure them we are good people and if anything gets too out of hand or anything please don't hesitate let us know if we are keeping them awake . Usually they will just come join in the fun or sometimes they will make a comment in the am about what a good time it sounded like but never is anyone calling the ranger or anything like that . I think some graciousness and simple manners goes a long way . Also we make a point of bringing a plate of the ridiculously delicious appetizers our wives are outdoing each other making and a bottle of home brew weather it be shine or beer as a preemptive peace offering . COMMUNICATION FOLKS IS WHAT ITS ABOUT !!

TV:GMC 2500HD Duramax
TT: 2015 Wildwood 21rbs
510Rick is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
Fourth of July we were at a beach/state park that is near our home. Overnight spots were all taken and the day use spots were filling up rapidly in the morning. Two jerks (apparently friends), each in campers, parked next to each other, but with one empty parking spot in between them. They proceeded to place their bicycles, BBQs, and other stuff in the empty parking spot. We were waiting for additional family members and hoping they would be able to get a parking spot so I walked over to them and very politely said, "You know, this is a very busy holiday and a lot of people are looking for parking spots. It isn't really fair to use up one spot for your stuff, especially if you didn't pay for it." Both guys went off on me with profanity and telling me to mind my own f-ing business. I just smiled, walked down to the ranger's kiosk, and ratted them out. Two minutes later, two rangers came and told them to remove all their stuff from the parking spot and if they caused any more problems, they would be asked to leave the park. I just couldn't believe that people could be so thoughtless!!

The reason people don't get called out on this craziness is thy you just might get shot or beat up...... its unfortunate but the reality of our society today.
Filterman is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #25

Several years ago I went to a truck stop just outside of Boise for fuel - very busy place, but the traffic was moving rather efficiently. There was just a single guy in front of me who finished and went inside to pay. 5 minutes passed, then 10 - my wife went inside to see what might be wrong and came out quite upset - evidently this person had left his car in the fuel lane and had gone inside to have lunch knowing full well that trailer in tow, I was right behind him waiting for my turn at the pump.

Talk about inconsiderate behavior. Unfortunately you cannot predict who is going to fall into this category.
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #26

The solution of having to wait in a long line for the pump out is to go to bed earlier, so you can get up earlier. I've been an early bird all my life and one who hates Sunday afternoon traffic jambs. So I do my best to be packed up and heading to the pump out by 9 am on a Sunday morning. There is rarely more than one person in front of me and most of the time I can pull right up and pump out.
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
There is always in any situation enough room for this or you would not be in the line.
Unfortunately this is not always the case regarding dump stations. I've camped at parks where a single line of ten rigs would extend to the campground road, blocking traffic, while two lines of five could all fit in the dump station pull out.

If I fits, I sits. If someone else loses... I chooses.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker24 View Post
The solution of having to wait in a long line for the pump out is to go to bed earlier, so you can get up earlier. I've been an early bird all my life and one who hates Sunday afternoon traffic jambs. So I do my best to be packed up and heading to the pump out by 9 am on a Sunday morning. There is rarely more than one person in front of me and most of the time I can pull right up and pump out.
My wife was so upset that we now do not travel more than a tank full of fuel before we set up camp - then she makes me to go get fuel the night before we leave camp
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #29

People just need to do unto others as they would have done unto them. The golden rule has not failed me yet. Why can't people just do the right thing?

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #30
Just as confused as you

At the CG we are at every year the owners have a meeting for seasonals and they keep reminding us about damage done to their property and the consequences if we are caught doing it. One of the biggest gripes is damage to trees.

So after seeing a weekender on Friday afternoon on Labor Day weekend cut a limb from a tree that restricted him from extending his slide. I called the office and reported him telling them the site number he was on. The security guard came to me and verified which site, then proceeded to the site and talked to them. There was a group of 6 RV's together and we got dirty looks and snide remarks directed at us til labor day morning.

I ignored it but DW was sure T'd off at me for reporting it. I told her that I was tired of hearing of the damage done to the campground trees. The only thing we hang in a tree is a 5 ft tall wind chime on a limb the owners cut off the year before we took the site and it goes up in April and comes down in October.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #31

Love the new "Warning" before reply. Let's keep it civil folks. I had no intent of starting a "ruckus", just venting a little.
Maybe it's just me, as I don't use a generator, but when someone is hooked up to a 50amp....is it really necessary to run 2 generators on your site ? Like I said...I've never used a generator, so maybe I'm missing something. Is there an etiquette for using them ? lining them up on the driver side of a trailer so the camper next to them has to listen to them all weekend ?
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #32

SB or MH, there are cameras and mics around me. Sometimes on my person as well. While I try to "let it go", when a line is crossed, there is no arguing audio and video.

It used to be good fences made good neighbors, it is now good surveillance.
Dp26 is offline   Reply
Old 09-05-2017, 09:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Love the new "Warning" before reply. Let's keep it civil folks.
I hear you and agree...

Funny, that warning is exactly what this thread is related to. Some folks just ignore the community and do what is best for themselves. Compassion is what I think it is called. Something along the lines of empathy for the suffering of others. Both of these are missing from the serial killers I see on TV.

Might that guy taking so long at the dump station be the next Ted Bundy or Unabomber. Not so sure but I am not going to lose sleep over it...
Wobbles is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #34
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and Beast View Post
People just need to do unto others as they would have done unto them. The golden rule has not failed me yet. Why can't people just do the right thing?

Because they are trying to beat every one else and win life.
eye95 is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #35

Polite???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyB View Post
Fourth of July we were at a beach/state park that is near our home. Overnight spots were all taken and the day use spots were filling up rapidly in the morning. Two jerks (apparently friends), each in campers, parked next to each other, but with one empty parking spot in between them. They proceeded to place their bicycles, BBQs, and other stuff in the empty parking spot. We were waiting for additional family members and hoping they would be able to get a parking spot so I walked over to them and very politely said, "You know, this is a very busy holiday and a lot of people are looking for parking spots. It isn't really fair to use up one spot for your stuff, especially if you didn't pay for it." Both guys went off on me with profanity and telling me to mind my own f-ing business. I just smiled, walked down to the ranger's kiosk, and ratted them out. Two minutes later, two rangers came and told them to remove all their stuff from the parking spot and if they caused any more problems, they would be asked to leave the park. I just couldn't believe that people could be so thoughtless!!
We are in changing times. In a society where some are armed, never know who for sure. It pays to be cautious about approaching strangers. You were smart to let the Ranger take car of it, but I assume it was a tense weekend after that. Pity. Most of the problems can be attributed to poor social skills and low IQ> My neighbors husband was shot over who should be where in line at a cotton Jin. My friends, girlfriend's ex husband was killed at a flea market over the same issue. Play safe out there.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #36

I get all the frustration here, and it's not just the RV campgrounds, or the dump station or the gas pumps. It is an everyday thing that happens everywhere. I try to not judge why people are acting poorly, I figure since they are adults, they should know what they are doing and the impact it creates. Unfortunately, short of being confrontational, I don't have a solution. I find it very frustrating when someone uses a gas pump, then walks inside for whatever, this is why there are parking spaces. The pump is for pumping. When you are done, move along so someone else can pump. Same for the dump.

I don't understand how the "zipper merge" works at a dump station where it is an island and you can only dump from one side. Can someone explain this to me? I also don't understand how offering food/drinks or letting someone join your party- who may have come to camp for peace and quiet makes it okay to be loud and obnoxious. I would be the person asking to move to a different site, or for a refund. If a campground wants to allow the party atmosphere, then it should be publicized so that those of us not interested in drinking ourselves into oblivion with loud talk/music can choose appropriately.
seagrace is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Love the new "Warning" before reply. Let's keep it civil folks. I had no intent of starting a "ruckus", just venting a little.
Maybe it's just me, as I don't use a generator, but when someone is hooked up to a 50amp....is it really necessary to run 2 generators on your site ? Like I said...I've never used a generator, so maybe I'm missing something. Is there an etiquette for using them ? lining them up on the driver side of a trailer so the camper next to them has to listen to them all weekend ?
In almost every case, parks have quiet hours when - typically - generator use is limited or prohibited. Some parks (in hotter climes) permit generators to run A/C units at night (sometimes).

Most modern generators are pretty darn quiet - we have a 10KW and you can barely hear it (at load) 15' away. Of course we are not the norm - ours is enclosed, muffled and baffled. Still, some of the new Honda & Yamaha external gennys are pretty darn quiet.

I digress.

When we have camped with folks with external generators, they tried to put them as far away from the camper as possible. This can be easy or difficult depending on how crowded the campground is.

As for running a generator when you have a perfectly good 50AMP pedestal....I understand your question, but I also recognize that you are not a generator owner, so here is generator 101 for you

Every generator needs to be exercised on a monthly basis. Amount depends on the make, so I will use our Cummins 10KW as the poster child: my monthly maintenance requires I run the generator at load for at least 4 hours. I will typically try to do this on a weekday from 1100-1500 HRS. If I have RVs next door, I will usually check with them to see if my planned time will interfere with their day. Just being a considerate neighbor
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
I don't understand how the "zipper merge" works at a dump station where it is an island and you can only dump from one side. Can someone explain this to me?
Some dump stations have multiple lanes (and multiple islands) so that more than one trailer can dump at once.

Quote:
I also don't understand how offering food/drinks or letting someone join your party- who may have come to camp for peace and quiet makes it okay to be loud...
Agreed. Completely.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagrace View Post
I also don't understand how offering food/drinks or letting someone join your party- who may have come to camp for peace and quiet makes it okay to be loud and obnoxious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
Agreed. Completely.
X2. Just because you invited me doesn't mean a) I want to join you, or b) you now have a license to be wild and loud.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #40

I go camping to enjoy the peacefulness of nature. I do not want to hear your outdoor movie or TV, your music most likely is not my taste in music. Quiet hours are there for a reason. I should not have to come over and let you know your being annoying and loud. If you can hear your music 3 sites away it's too loud.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
show