Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
NELA

Plugged in 24/7. DH had an electrician install a 50A service riser when we bought the V-Lite last year.

As others have stated, we seem to always be able to find a reason to piddle-poot around in it. Excuse? Naw, I don't need no excuse! Sometimes I just go out and sit a spell.

DH is a Master Mason, and as such he often "schools/trains" (whatever you guys call it) new candidates in our...then V-Lite... now 5er. He used to do that sitting out on our patio while skeeters had a nice evening snack, or he made arrangements with the applicant at their home, since he never considered "displacing" me at those times an option. Nice that he was so thoughtful of me, and I'm happy that we now have such a pleasant place for him to do WIITMD.

I know an older retired gentleman that keeps his huge fiver in an almost totally enclosed barn (bat wing doors) beside his house. Every morning he goes out, opens up the barn and cooks breakfast in the 5er for his bride. He calls it "keeping an eye on things" while he does something nice for her. Good eye, cuz I've toured that 5er, and it's like show-room new, though it's several years old.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Plugged in 24/7. DH had an electrician install a 50A service riser when we bought the V-Lite last year.

As others have stated, we seem to always be able to find a reason to piddle-poot around in it. Excuse? Naw, I don't need no excuse! Sometimes I just go out and sit a spell.

DH is a Master Mason, and as such he often "schools/trains" (whatever you guys call it) new candidates in our...then V-Lite... now 5er. He used to do that sitting out on our patio while skeeters had a nice evening snack, or he made arrangements with the applicant at their home, since he never considered "displacing" me at those times an option. Nice that he was so thoughtful of me, and I'm happy that we now have such a pleasant place for him to do WIITMD.

I know an older retired gentleman that keeps his huge fiver in an almost totally enclosed barn (bat wing doors) beside his house. Every morning he goes out, opens up the barn and cooks breakfast in the 5er for his bride. He calls it "keeping an eye on things" while he does something nice for her. Good eye, cuz I've toured that 5er, and it's like show-room new, though it's several years old.
It's called "coaching". I used to do it rather regularly before we had the 5'er. What a great idea. Been tore up by skeeters and sand fleas more that once while sitting outside on the deck. I might just have to do that if I'm called upon to coach again!
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #23

Wow thanks for all the replies. Looks like there is no issues keeping her plugged in. the guy before installed 30Amp service (maybe even 50). Sounds like all I need to do is check the water level on the 6V batteries every so often. Also as gljurczyk said make sure we have full power to the CO and radio (not sure what all the other tech stuff he said).

One more stupid question. If the rig is covered does that change any thing or it still would be fine plugged in?
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
It's called "coaching". I used to do it rather regularly before we had the 5'er. What a great idea. Been tore up by skeeters and sand fleas more that once while sitting outside on the deck. I might just have to do that if I'm called upon to coach again!
Heh, thanks for the assist there.

DH is a past ....hmm how to put this....OK, Master of his Lodge (2 years ago). He has amazing memorization skills and now knows all the "work" for raising up, or putting on degrees, up to Master (and maybe more, I'm not sure). Because of that he's asked to do degree formalities all over this area, and also asked to do the coaching for *many* new Masons.

Having the RV just yards from our back door, with full power, has been a huge asset for him. Absolute comfort; a/c or heat, fridge full of sodas, recliners, full lighting, and a pit stop in emergencies *only*.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
One more stupid question. If the rig is covered does that change any thing or it still would be fine plugged in?
Yes and no. In general plugged in won't hurt a thing, however you can't run anything that needs air circulation and venting, AC, especially the water heater or furnace. I wouldn't run the fridge on propane, not sure is running the fridge on AC would change much.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #26
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Yes and no. In general plugged in won't hurt a thing, however you can't run anything that needs air circulation and venting, AC, especially the water heater or furnace. I wouldn't run the fridge on propane, not sure is running the fridge on AC would change much.
I'm assuming goin2drt means the fabric covers, or a totally enclosed building.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem in the open metal garage type covers or a pole barn type structure. Correct?

Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #27

Quote:
I'm assuming goin2drt means the fabric covers, or a totally enclosed building.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem in the open metal garage type covers or a pole barn type structure. Correct?
Fabric covers is where I was going. Pole barns you can do as you wish, even a fully enclosed building would be fine for AC. I wouldn't run the furnace or water heater much in an enclosed building with the doors shut, first the chance something could be close enough to get hot and catch on fire, second, I'd worry about CO poisoning. Open the doors and all is well though.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #28

Thanks. Yes I was referring to fabric cover. I wouldn't want to run anything until we were ready to go and I uncovered it. I was talking more about just being plugged in for storage.
Klamaths Premium "Porter" JH RIP
Raney's Blazin' "Baxter"
All white Siberian Husky "Turbo"
goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #29

Yeah plugged in charging is fine under a cover. You could then setup a small fan as stated earlier, keep the air moving around and prevent it from getting stale.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Have left my trailers plugged in for the last 8 yrs and never had a problem with batteries or anything else. Opps, forgot about forgetting to shut the 110 off to the water heater and drained it before we went to FL to bead blast the anode and fried the heater element. But, other than that one incident, not a problem with anything else. Have no idea what kind of converter they have as long as they work.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
I plug it in...seems to be that I am always in there doing one thing or another, sometimes we have coffee in the trailer, or I will go in there to tune in to a baseball game, so I just leave it plugged in. Had an electrician come in and install a 30amp service on the side of the house. Then we leave the fridge running between trips and dont have to empty it. Have often wondered if there is possibility of overcharging the battery but have been told repeatedly that wont happen, so I trust it...but our last deep cycle battery only lasted 2 yrs..it was the original one that came with the 5th, so that may be part of it.

Rick
X2...I'm not sure if the battery part has anything to do with it though.
Never had a problem with mine, 3 seasons and going on it's fourth.
Can't wait to pull it out of the shed...man it's been a long winter
Black
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...DH is a Master Mason, and as such he often "schools/trains" (whatever you guys call it) new candidates in our...then V-Lite... now 5er. He used to do that sitting out on our patio while skeeters had a nice evening snack, or he made arrangements with the applicant at their home, since he never considered "displacing" me at those times an option. Nice that he was so thoughtful of me, and I'm happy that we now have such a pleasant place for him to do WIITMD...
Being a Master Mason, he is also a "Traveling Man" like a lot of us are on this forum.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:21 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Plugged in.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #34
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Being a Master Mason, he is also a "Traveling Man" like a lot of us are on this forum.
Yes, OC, he's a Traveling Man. Glad to know you are as well.

He sponsored my oldest son, BTW, carrying on the tradition. My paternal grandfather was 32nd Degree.

Right now DH is a Golfing Man, while I've been outside messin' around in the RV, made easier by the fact that we're "plugged in"!
Weather here today is lookin' like SPRING!

Can't wait to get those awning poles!

Old 03-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #35

Plugged in, but not all the time. Usually a week or so before we are getting ready to go someplace we plug it in so we can open the slide out a little, cool down the fridge prior to loading, do a little cleaning, etc. And when we get back we may leave it plugged in for a day or so to unload the fridge, etc.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #36

So if you keep it plugged and turn heat on during cold weather is it necessary to winterize it?
primetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #37
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I didn't with the old one, but seem to be hanging out in the new one more. In fact tonight I was doing a little housekeeping and ended up plugging in, kicking back, ordered pizza and watched a movie.

So who knows. I've talked for years about getting an outlet installed for it, once it gets warm and I want to run the AC I just might have to upgrade from the 15A extension cord.
Sounds fun. "tell the delivery boy to knock on the camper"
Old 03-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
So if you keep it plugged and turn heat on during cold weather is it necessary to winterize it?
I know a major concern would be condensation forming from cold outside, warm inside.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #39

Yes you still need to winterize, unless you want to use a ton of propane. I winterize and use a small electric heater. Not enough heat for the lines and holding tanks
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #40
Somewhat right of center

Unplugged and locked up. Occasionally throughout the winter I'll plug it in and check on things.