Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #21

While it does require standing on the bottom rung or two of the ladder, I put THESE CLAMPS on my ladder top. When installed, they match the footprint of the Playmaker. I have to stand on the second rung of the ladder and lift the Playmaker up and on the ladder top. I have 2 long 1/4" bolts and wingnuts that hold it on. I do it all with one hand, while holding onto the ladder with the other.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #22

Why not rig a flagpole with cable and mount it so you can use it to hoist?
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #23

Sorry. I typed all the info and it bombed because I had linked to a picture of it that was not allowed. Got a message in email saying to read the rules. All what I typed was gone. Never got back to it. That's why.
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by santara View Post
if you want help u have to list your rig info why can't new people do ,see more of no rig info aii the time
If you want to chastise someone you have to make your writing coherent.

🤔
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:57 PM   #25

Checked out the clamps, good find. Ordered some as I know I will be able to use them at some point.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #26

Flag pole idea is good and would probably be one of my first choices except the Forester has a very small margin for load capacity and I'm trying to minimize wherever I can.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Have several friends who permanently mounted their portable automatic dish on their ladders with something like this: https://winegard.com/industry/power-...v-ladder-mount
Do a search and you will find several types.
If you just set it up on the roof, it will get blown off during windy storms.
I temporarily set mine up on the roof and secure it with a bungie net, but I can still climb the ladder.
Another option is to just buy more cable so you can place the dish on the ground in an unobstructed spot. I have used up to 150' of coax doing this.
I put mine on the roof as well. I don't mind climbing.

I installed an "eye" bolt through the roof into a rafter and sealed the roof penetration with some roofing material compatible with EPDM. It has Never leaked.

A short bungee cord from the Eye Bolt to the bottom of the tripod mount holds it in place in the worst weather that the south has to offer.
Old 03-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #28

Had concerns of how to secure my Winguard X2 as well plus climbing ladder. After contacting Winguard with no options available from them, mounted a couple of conduit clamps to small piece of plywood. Secure this to top of ladder, pull antenna up with rope and secure it to the platform with security bar underneath the dish. Allows clear view over rv s parked next to us.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #29

Dish antenna, telescoping

Here is my solution,no ladderClick image for larger version

Name:	Dish antenna#1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	225370
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKam View Post
Here is my solution,no ladderAttachment 225370
As I was reading the post I started thinking of a similar idea you have, I can fabricate a pole and mount that bolts to the ladder and then use a cable or rope to lift it to the top of the ladder, I would also use butterfly screw/bolt for easy removal and install of the dish. I am going to fabricate one.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #31

I only have the carryout (playmaker) and I have had to position it on the roof from the front to back of my MH due to trees and other southern sky blockers. A fixed position for a carryout dish would be the same as a permanent mounting and defeats the flexibility for a carryout. I only put it on the roof if there is blocking if on the ground. I don't use a tripod; it just sits on the ground. Have never had an issue with it walking off for over 10 years. It's about 50/50 ground vs roof. If one wants to use the roof it would seem that at one time or other the trip up the ladder is unavoidable.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #32

I raise my antenna by lifting the inner tube then pin at bottom thru outer tube. Inner tube is notched at bottom to prevent antenna from rotating.The Dish and inner tube is not heavy, I'm 88 and have no problem. I do use a step stool to raise it and lowerit and remove Dish when rolling. Ref; previous photo.
AdamKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #33

This might be a stupid question, but why not just leave it on the ground (presuming no trees)?

I have the old school regular dish for DirecTv with a short pole mount that is lag bolted to a cinder block.

I pull up wherever we're going, set the block and pole mount down, slide the dish onto the pole and then aim it using the "DishAlign" phone app, which gets me close enough and then use the audio signal strength indicator to fine tune.

Within 5 minutes (at the most) I am at 90+ signal strength.

While I'm not familiar with your particular receiver/antenna device, I can't see why it wouldn't work 10 feet lower than the roof of your rig.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
This might be a stupid question, but why not just leave it on the ground (presuming no trees)?

I have the old school regular dish for DirecTv with a short pole mount that is lag bolted to a cinder block.

I pull up wherever we're going, set the block and pole mount down, slide the dish onto the pole and then aim it using the "DishAlign" phone app, which gets me close enough and then use the audio signal strength indicator to fine tune.

Within 5 minutes (at the most) I am at 90+ signal strength.

While I'm not familiar with your particular receiver/antenna device, I can't see why it wouldn't work 10 feet lower than the roof of your rig.
At times the roof gets the Antenna high enough to avoid trees (limbs) and other obstacle interference. The OP's carryout has a very small dish probably compared to yours. His carryout also is just a plug and play with the only alignment required is a clear southern sky view. I have been in situations where the roof was the only area that allowed a peek at most of the southern sky. It's typically all or nothing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #35

Thanks for your comments. They really helped in formulating my plan. Not done yet but getting close. Wanted something that my feet didn't leave the ground. Still need a pulley mounted to the top of the ladder and hoping to replace the hitch pin pivots at the bottom with a gate latch so I can just shove it in. Will leave a bit of string tied to the release mechanisms hanging down. Resisting the urge to go to the hardware store and catching the Chinese virus.

tried to link a couple of phots but not sure if it worked. They're in a public album under my profile.

Also planning on adding 2 removable legs on frame in case I'm under trees and want to use it as a tripod.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #36

Now that looks good. I didn't see the pic until today and it certainly might have influenced what I did.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #37

I put mine on the ladder. Top rug off to side. Still able to use ladder. It is about 6 in below top of rv. I have second auto acquire for ground use
Bob903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #38

Our KingDome is mounted on the roof of our Cardinal 5th wheel. I do take it down and use the tripod when trees are blocking the signal. Since I have dual wiring I’m thinking of buying a second KingDome so I don’t have to climb up on the roof. It’s expensive, but much safer.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #39

Sat dish on ladder

I bought 2" flag pole mount for my ladder off of amazon, the top mount is maid so you can turn pole on a angle slid it in then stand it up straight and set it in bottom cup of mount. I used a piece of 1 1/2 PVC pipe for the pole with a short piece of 2" PVC that will slide over the 1 1/2 drilled 2 holes and put 2 pins to keep together and keep from turning at the top I glued a 2" mail fitting to pipe, cut a piece of aluminum plate to fit bottom of dish and welded a 2" female pipe fitting in the center and attached dish to aluminum plate , the bottom bracket has a thumb screw you tighten it against the pipe to keep it from turning. I will try to attach a couple pictures. Sorry I couldn't figure how to attach pictures, if someone would tell me how to do it I would be happy to share
McLeod family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #40

There's Absolutely No Need to Go High

Unless you are forced to put your dish high to avoid obstructions there is absolutely no need to mount your dish "high." At home my dish is on a 3 foot high post and it works perfectly. The satellites are thousands of feet away so reducing that distance by putting your dish up 10 or 15 feet high means nothing.
rdavidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, dish, lift, placement, portable, roof