Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidd View Post
Unless you are forced to put your dish high to avoid obstructions there is absolutely no need to mount your dish "high." At home my dish is on a 3 foot high post and it works perfectly. The satellites are thousands of feet away so reducing that distance by putting your dish up 10 or 15 feet high means nothing.
This is funny. Reducing the distance? It's because of the angle to pick-up the satellites and the fact that trees may be in the way where a little elevation might be able to get a better open view of the southern sky. I've also been in tight quarters with other RV's that I cannot get any good southern sky exposure because of their height; my roof puts my carryout above those situations. Most of the time the ground is satisfactory. I have had to set it close to the campground road but that creates momentary signal loss every time a vehicle passes by.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #42
2000 Wildwood 28RKSS2S

I usually just place mine on the ground, but have found that some 4 legged creatures think it’s a fire hydrant.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #43

I made the decision last year to install a permanent roof mounted satellite dish, monthly pay as you go service.

Didnt want to tinker with anything more unless I can sit down in the comfort of my rv. There's enough tripping hazards around my campsites as is, I can imagine either me or my wife tripping on a coax cable, something I need to avoid.

For situations where I cant get a southern sky, we plan on using a Verizon Jetpack which is a monthly pay as you go wireless internet service, allowing us a network in and around our rv. We park our rv in our driveway and its network signal is accessible in the house 100' away.

Testing the Jetpack, we can stream our Spectrum cable tv service, use our Roku, and have a network in our rv.

Our rv season is May through maybe mid October and probably looking at paying for 4 or 5 months of service on each.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, dish, lift, placement, portable, roof