Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #1

Portable Sat dish lifting

If trees aren't a problem, I'd like to set my portable Playmaker on the roof. I avoid climbing the ladder whenever possible. I have a friend that fell off about 6 months ago and is still not able to walk. I was thinking of bonding a non-conductive lifting loop to the top of the Dish playmaker. Having it at the Zenith position should be out of the line of sight for the signal. I have a boat docking pole with a hook on it that would be ideal to carry to do the lifting. Am I overlooking anything? I did search the forums but couldn't find any discussion about this.
Yertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

what is going to keep the dish on the roof in bad weather (high winds)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #3

Perhaps something more like a regular antenna mast with a dish mount on one end the sat dish can be secured to. Then merely install the mast in some ladder mounted brackets like used for flagpoles. Metal antenna mast usually comes with slip on joints so it could be disassembled for transport storage.

This could provide a steady mount and it could be oriented as necessary by rotating the pole to adjust azimuth. Inclination could be set using a protractor before elevating.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #4

Don't know what rig you have and thus how high you need to go. Before you modify the dish. Try lifting something that weighs the same with the pole. You might find that, that amount of weight at the end of a long lever is too much to lift or control.
filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #5

what model antenna do you have? some have roof mount kits that you might adapt to mount on a pole that can attach to the perm. ladder on your rig. But that may not get you out of the trees. I carry two pieces of coax, one is about 25' the other is 100' with a coupler so I can set my dish a ways away from out of the trees. Small portable table will work to set it on if you don't want to set it on the ground.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #6

Have several friends who permanently mounted their portable automatic dish on their ladders with something like this: https://winegard.com/industry/power-...v-ladder-mount
Do a search and you will find several types.
If you just set it up on the roof, it will get blown off during windy storms.
I temporarily set mine up on the roof and secure it with a bungie net, but I can still climb the ladder.
Another option is to just buy more cable so you can place the dish on the ground in an unobstructed spot. I have used up to 150' of coax doing this.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #7

You want to avoid climbing ladder. I prefer the roof for my Playmaker. I tie a nylon rope to the handle, climb to the roof with just the rope and then pull the antenna up (also lower it via the rope). I do feed the rope (still attached to the antenna) through a louver of the A/C cover or what ever is nearby to secure in case it wants to take off. I have been in pretty strong winds and the shape of the antenna (domed) seems to allow it to stay in place. It has never moved from where situated on the roof. A friend of mine was involved in an automobile accident.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #8

I lift mine on and off the roof at times, and yes, it's a 'balancing act' as far as trying to climb up or down the ladder, with one hand, while holding the antenna's handle in the other...
I would suggest that maybe LEAVING the portable on the rear of the roof all the time is a better solution - it can ride there, it is stored there, it is out of the way, and for the most part, it will have easy access to the satellites.
I built my 'temporary' antenna mount with two simple holes, and they are not deep, using several items found at the hardware and/or auto parts store, but the antenna manufacturer also makes a ready-built 'mount' just for this purpose, and it allows you to snap-in or snap-out the antenna easily. Some folks also use a 'ladder mount' for their portable antenna.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
what is going to keep the dish on the roof in bad weather (high winds)
he's referring to putting it on the roof while parked somewhere ... but, it's also doubtful that 'wind' itself is going to have much effect since it's a somewhat 'round' portable antenna, and weighs enough not to be easily affected. Of course, those who want to 'drive' while it's on the roof use a mount of some sort, like I do.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
he's referring to putting it on the roof while parked somewhere ... but, it's also doubtful that 'wind' itself is going to have much effect since it's a somewhat 'round' portable antenna, and weighs enough not to be easily affected. Of course, those who want to 'drive' while it's on the roof use a mount of some sort, like I do.
My friends thought the newer rounder shape would keep it from being blown off the roof also. It blew off their roof at a SP in NM, but survived. Blew off the roof again at the Phoenix NASCAR race, didn't survive. But then we do have some pretty good wind storms in the southwest
Now they have a ladder mount.
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #11

a simple way to eliminate that concern is to wrap the coax cable around the nearby air conditioner cover - giving the antenna something to be tied to if were to happen to be moved. You would know it moved if you lose your channels... : /
Old 03-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
a simple way to eliminate that concern is to wrap the coax cable around the nearby air conditioner cover - giving the antenna something to be tied to if were to happen to be moved. You would know it moved if you lose your channels... : /
And if you use a ladder mount or ground mount, you don't have to worry about it all, or climb on the roof, which is what the OP is trying to avoid. :/
Old 03-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Big jump from my post to thinking I was referring to in motion. Anything not being secured that has any sail area can and will be moved with enough wind.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:10 AM   #14

I appreciate all the input I have received on this. It has given me more to think about and also good ideas. I don't mind climbing the ladder for a mod but I just didn't want to have it as a regular thing. If I do end up figuring out how to safely set it up on the roof, I will be sure to incorporate a safety chain arrangement for high winds or airhead drive-off. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts. It is exactly what I was looking for. I have a C class so it's not going to be as bad as putting it on top of one of the big boys.

Step 1: Check to see if I can handle the dish on the end of a pole (good point).
Step 2: See if there is a way to secure it from getting blown down and not climbing up to do it (also a good point).
Step 3: also check other methods (mast, permanent mount, ladder mount, etc. - all good things to think about.)
Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #15

I have a Pathway X2 and once in awhile do put it on the roof, especially 4 hours north of the border in a Provincial Park. I have always lived on the edge professionally and personally. 2 summers back while in Canada I was doing the roof thing and going up the ladder with the dish. I was up 8 feet and when I went to do the hand balanced grab of the rung, I was unsuccessful and knew what was coming. I fell, unfortunately the dish tripod was still on the ground right there, so I hit that and then the ground. Saw stars and birdies for about a minute. Fortunately friends heard the commotion and came to check on me. Nothing broken and I actually saved the dish from hitting the ground! LOL! Days later I looked in the mirror and the area of my body that hit the ground was black, not blue. No bueno. Never again. I now use a web ratchet strap to take it up or down as needed. And I have never had an issue with it moving on the roof under most adverse weather conditions.

Scott
2011 Sunseeker 3170DSF
2002 Honda CR-V
"Do not mistake my benevolence for weakness."
rvrobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #16

Exactly. I am glad you were lucky. I'd send you pics of my friend's compound fractures (broken bones came out the skin) but I don't care to look at them. He's had several surgeries since.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #17
LET

Watch "Building a flagpole mast for my RV's Satellite Antenna." on YouTube

https://youtu.be/gXViUVNwO8g
LET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #18
geezer with gadgets

We have the Dish Playmaker dish and I also got tired of putting it up on the roof. Purchased anchors from Amazon that we used to have it permanently mounted on the roof. Great reception and don't have to risk life and/or limb.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle View Post
Exactly. I am glad you were lucky. I'd send you pics of my friend's compound fractures (broken bones came out the skin) but I don't care to look at them. He's had several surgeries since.
if you want help u have to list your rig info why can't new people do ,see more of no rig info aii the time
santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by santara View Post
if you want help u have to list your rig info why can't new people do ,see more of no rig info aii the time
How is knowing exactly what RV he has going to help with his question? Chill

Tags
antenna, dish, lift, placement, portable, roof