Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2024, 07:50 PM   #21

I lost my sewer hose at Grand Canyon so I had to dump without hose for a while. Messy.
disoswam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 08:55 PM   #22

Elephant Butte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy848 View Post
I guess none of you folks have ever camped in NM State Parks. I was a Park Ranger at Elephant Butte State Park for about 10 yrs and we took theft reports from campers almost everyday.
Were you really? When I was stationed at WSMR, we camped for a weekend at Elephant Butte in 1971 using gear checked out from the Army Rec Center. (It's called MWR now--I can't remember what it was called then.

We went with a senior EM and his family who had taken us under their wings. No worries about thievery; we were the only people there. Weather was great, tenting spot nice. A little breezy--we had to put gear in the tents to keep them from rolling away. It's been over 50 years and I still remember what a beautiful visit it was.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:09 PM   #23

Don’t worry about it OP. Even if you could cable lock both ends of the cord with pick-proof locks and cut/torch proof cable, a determined copper thief can hacksaw the cable in mere seconds. Luckily, cable theft just isn’t an issue in most places. Neither is water hose or stinky slinky theft. I imagine out of the tens of thousands out there, there’s always that one guy with a story but the odds of it happening to you are slim at best…..

PS - More cables are lost/destroyed from people forgetting to disconnect.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Were you really? When I was stationed at WSMR, we camped for a weekend at Elephant Butte in 1971 using gear checked out from the Army Rec Center. (It's called MWR now--I can't remember what it was called then.

We went with a senior EM and his family who had taken us under their wings. No worries about thievery; we were the only people there. Weather was great, tenting spot nice. A little breezy--we had to put gear in the tents to keep them from rolling away. It's been over 50 years and I still remember what a beautiful visit it was.
In the early 70s to mid 80s it was a very safe and Great place but itís changed drastically. I worked there from about 86-97 and there were problems every weekend
Ziggy848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:38 PM   #25

I will just echo what the others said. Been RVing for almost 30 years all over the country and parts of Canada. Never an issue. I do have a cable lock for my new Watchdog surge protector, but never worried about my cord or my old surge protector. What I don't leave out: tools, cooler, bikes are locked, Weigh Safe drawbar goes in my truck. Chairs, a small table, tailgater tables, etc. stay by the camper. Kind of unwritten rule that campers leave other people's stuff alone. Good luck!
JDWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:48 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy848 View Post
I guess none of you folks have ever camped in NM State Parks. I was a Park Ranger at Elephant Butte State Park for about 10 yrs and we took theft reports from campers almost everyday.
Items ranging from Ice Chests to boat trailers, jet skis to lawn chairs to entire RVs and everything in between.
Lock up what you can and be prepared to defend the rest of the things you canít secure!!
Be sure you have a way to ID your stuff as well such as having your Drivers License number engraved on or in the item!!!
Well, you go from all NM State Parks to singling out Elephant Butte. Having grown up in NM State Parks and still RVing in them frequently with my RV group, I take offense at your description of them which I have never found to be true. None of my group has ever had anything stolen, even when we used to go during high attendance holidays.
I realize as a park ranger you can see the worst of all kinds, but I think your disparaging remarks about NM parks are a little over the top.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:50 PM   #27

That the way thing went when I tent camping. The only thing I had disaper was fire wood.
FredSt64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:14 AM   #28

I carry a spare!

Well it is always a possibility. However, I have never heard of one being stolen. You are more likely to the handle unravel from cord and have to replace it. I think there are more items in your RV to think about. Welcome!
montereydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by disoswam View Post
I lost my sewer hose at Grand Canyon so I had to dump without hose for a while. Messy.

A tweaker who lives in a mobile home park in Flagstaff must have stolen it and cashed it in at the Pawn shop. How in the hell do you lock up a shore power cord? LOL.
FlagstaffBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:00 AM   #30

As hard it is for me to roll up that heavy 50 amp power cord I canít imagine anyone trying to sneak off with it. Weíve never had a problem.
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSt64 View Post
As newbie to campers what do you do to ensure that someone does not decide to barrow your shore power cable?
You could get an adjustable cable lock and cinch it around the pedestal so the plug can't pull through.
Grindstone Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 12:58 PM   #32
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by disoswam View Post
Oh yes,... I have seen some campsites where it appears others have dumped without a sewer hose as well.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 01:23 PM   #33

Stolen Power cord

I've had my power cord stolen in a Canadian Provincial Park. It likely was some teenagers that were camping and forgot a power cord, so they took mine. Pure laziness. Ugh! Now the park will let you borrow one from the main office.
kszac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:36 PM   #34

So on my 17 ft travel trailer the power cord is attached to the trailer inside a small hole. I pull it out and hook up. I guess if somebody really wanted to steal it they would have to cut it off or yank it out somehow. That just seems to be too much trouble. I've never worried about it. Good luck with your camping! It's a lot of fun!

Fireladydi
2017 Coachman Clipper 17'bh
Fireladydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireladydi View Post
So on my 17 ft travel trailer the power cord is attached to the trailer inside a small hole. I pull it out and hook up. I guess if somebody really wanted to steal it they would have to cut it off or yank it out somehow. That just seems to be too much trouble. I've never worried about it. Good luck with your camping! It's a lot of fun!

Fireladydi
2017 Coachman Clipper 17'bh
Stealing something to sell for your next "fix" doesn't serm to be to much trouble around here. They're even stealing the wires powering lights on the freeways, parks, and sports fields, Not even turning the power off first.
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #36

Put electrical tape on random areas to make it look like its damaged, no one would ever take it!
Rickards Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:34 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickards Red View Post
Put electrical tape on random areas to make it look like its damaged, no one would ever take it!

I like your thinking Richard's Red. As make it easier to ID.
FredSt64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:51 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickards Red View Post
I do the same. Never had a problem.
RStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:58 PM   #39

Bike lock

I use a small bike lock cable that has the end small enough to go through the handle of the cable and the little metal hole on the power pedestal. I have a padlock with me in case but rarely have to use that too. Use it more for the $200+ power surge protector, not the cable thatís $20
gsfisher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 PM   #40

I wish sone one would take my 50 amp cord that thing is like wrestling an anaconda when it is cold. Then I could justify buying one of those "Soft" cords. Stopped overnight in a NM rest stop still there in the morning, next time.

Tags
power