Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2020, 07:22 AM   #21

Ours is hardwired in our 5th wheel so it is always on when we are connected to shore power. The only way to camp safely. Happy Camping

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #22

Sure - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I know I'm in the minority here but....
If you are not plugged in at all the chance of a lightning spike is very low.
It's not just for lightning - in fact, I don't think it is advertised that way. It is mostly for faulty wiring (open neutrals) and under / over voltage conditions.
OP doesn't say how far from the main panel the receptacle is going to be, or what breaker size, or what wire size. I'd be concerned about voltage drop if / when you try to run multiple appliances or AC while at home. And I've been getting a lot of multiple temporary power outages (off and on 5 times in less than a minute).
We buy these devices as insurance to protect the devices - why not use it?
Old 01-02-2020, 10:58 PM   #23

Yes. Voltage spikes/drops happen at home just as much as campgrounds depending on your your infrastructure. Bad weather here means wind which blows trees on lines.

I found my neighbors compressor was causing a drop in mine.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #24

We have had a 30 amp pedestal at home for years. My surge protector is always connected at home or where ever I go. An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure, and I've taken the cure enough
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #25

Like others have stated, mine is hardwired into my 5th wheel, I also have a whole house surge protector from the power company. If a power surge hits and their surge protector doesn't do it's job, the power company will pay to have the damaged wiring/equipment and my appliances repaired or replaced. In addition I have a home warranty that also covers power surges. Just to replace the refrigerator in my house will cost well over $4,000, that's the downside to owning a "smart refrigerator".
The RV power outlet is almost 100 feet away from the main breaker panel in my house.
Lighting546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblount View Post
I am having a RV power hook up installed near my RV pad. I plan to test with my PI EMS. Do you leave the EMS connected while at home while stored? Just wondering what others do.
I prefer to hard wire my surge protectors but either way you should always use it regardless of where you are since power issues can occur at any time any where. If you have whole house surge protection already then there would be no need.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #27

Ours is hardwired too so always on. It detected a brown out last summer and shut things down.
jefrec27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #28

I have a hard wired one and it saved me at home

I keep my fifth wheel plugged in at home year round ( when not camping ). We had a lightning strike a year ago that took out my standby generator, a couple of network switches and destroyed the EMS on the camper, but minimal damage to the camper.

The only damage to the camper was arching on the ground pin of the 50-Amp connector. I w.ouldn't even have known that it wasn't always grounding the trailer unless the rebuilt EMS didn't provide an error indication
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #29

+ however many. Any time I plug it in the EMS is plugged in as well. Doesn’t take much extra time and better safe than sorry.

Tags
progressive industries