Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

Propane measurer

I found a pretty foolproof way to measure how much propane is left in our bottles...

I see there are all kinds of electronic gadgets out there but seem like they are a bit finicky...

Our situation, we have two 30lb bottles on the front of the trailer.

This season we have used the refrig. on propane while travelling and seems the hot water heater on propane quite a bit and I was thinking, wow I bet we are low on gas... now, how to find out.

I got a "Weston" 0 to 50lb spring gauge. I am not worried about a full weight, that would be over 50lbs... where I get them filled I don't worry about them short filling... So, the 0 to 50lb will tell how much is left in a used tank, or bottle.

The empty "tare" weight is stamped in the carry handle of your propane tank, so Google the weight of a lb of propane, lift your tank using the spring gauge and read the total.

Subtract the tare weight from the total and that is how much propane is left in there.

I use one tank at a time, meaning I will only open one tank valve and run that till empty. I was surprised having used what I thought was more gas this season of how little gas we actually used.

Weight difference showed we only burned 2.5 gals so far and plenty left in our 30 pounder.

Yes, you do have to remove cover and line and clamp for tanks to lift with the spring gauge but really, it only takes a few minutes.

Google the Weston 14- 0304-W 0 to 50lb and you will see how simple and easy it is to use and read.

Hope it helps ya out if you were wondering about having gas on your camping adventure.

The good kind of gas to have!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Luggage scales work equally as well too.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1503308

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane