Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Propane shut off when fueling

I know it is important to shut off the propane when fueling but have a question about the easiest method. Can I just close the valves on the tanks and then open them again when finished or is it necessary to go in the camper and turn off the fridge? As you might suspect I am new at this.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #2

I would recomend just shutting off the fridge. By turning it to off, you extinguish the flame. Then when your done refueling, pull forward to a parking spot or just out of the way and fire it back up. Wait to ensure it starts, then enjoy your tirp!!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

We just make sure everything is off to include furance, fridge and hot water heater. Only thing we travel with that's on anyway is the fridge and just to easy to push the on/off button.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

What about for a PUP, where the fridge can be left on, but there is no easy access to it to turn on/off during fill ups?
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
I would recomend just shutting off the fridge. By turning it to off, you extinguish the flame. Then when your done refueling, pull forward to a parking spot or just out of the way and fire it back up. Wait to ensure it starts, then enjoy your tirp!!
I wish it was that easy for me - I can't get to my fridge without sliding my slideout a bit (because I try not to step on that raised/unsupported slide floor unless I *have* to).

BUT- I also have a diesel and don't turn off propane or turn off my fridge.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

I wish it was that easy for me - I can't get to my fridge without sliding my slideout a bit (because I try not to step on that raised/unsupported slide floor unless I *have* to).

BUT- I also have a diesel and don't turn off propane or turn off my fridge.
Isn't your distribution center right inside your door?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Isn't your distribution center right inside your door?
Nope, under the fridge. I think the new ones are inside of the door.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
i would recomend just shutting off the fridge. By turning it to off, you extinguish the flame. Then when your done refueling, pull forward to a parking spot or just out of the way and fire it back up. Wait to ensure it starts, then enjoy your tirp!!

grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I know it is important to shut off the propane when fueling but have a question about the easiest method. Can I just close the valves on the tanks and then open them again when finished or is it necessary to go in the camper and turn off the fridge? As you might suspect I am new at this.
If you only turn off your propane and not the fridge you may have to go inside and reset the fridge anyway.

Scenario:
You pull into the gas station and then turn off the propane leaving the fridge turned on. While you’re gassing up, the refrigerator tries to light the burner. Without propane, the system will attempt to light the gas burner three times and then go into fault and illuminate the CHECK light. When you turn the propane back on the refrigerator will not function on gas until you reset the system by pushing the ON/OFF button to OFF and then back to ON again.

If you’re concerned about using propane while fueling up I suggest you turn the fridge off.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your help. I will turn fridge off from inside the trailer. There is general agreement that is the correct way to deal with it. I want to run the fridge while we travel to keep It cold.
Cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

As usual, there are arguments both ways, the chance that the frig will try to ignite while at a gas station are remote, plus the fact for gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture is approximately 14.7 times the mass of air to fuel. 7% gas, 93% air. This may seem like an easily attainable amount of vapors but in fact it is unrealistic and requires an enclosed environment to achieve this kind of ratio. As stated above, gasoline vapors are 14.7 times heavier than air and will immediately sink to the ground and a refrigerator igniter is approx. 3' plus above the ground.

Those that believe in turning off the propane or refrigerators will continue to do so and those that don't believe in turning either one off will continue to leave them on.

With the thousands and thousands of campers traveling with the refrigerators on, we should be inundated with newscasts and videos of campers exploding at gas stations, in 73yrs, I've never seen even one.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
As usual, there are arguments both ways, the chance that the frig will try to ignite while at a gas station are remote, plus the fact for gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture is approximately 14.7 times the mass of air to fuel. 7% gas, 93% air. This may seem like an easily attainable amount of vapors but in fact it is unrealistic and requires an enclosed environment to achieve this kind of ratio. As stated above, gasoline vapors are 14.7 times heavier than air and will immediately sink to the ground and a refrigerator igniter is approx. 3' plus above the ground.

Those that believe in turning off the propane or refrigerators will continue to do so and those that don't believe in turning either one off will continue to leave them on.

With the thousands and thousands of campers traveling with the refrigerators on, we should be inundated with newscasts and videos of campers exploding at gas stations, in 73yrs, I've never seen even one.
X2. Especially diesel, but watch out for the guy next to you.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Plus, the refrigerator is 25'-40' from the gas pump.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
Somewhat right of center

The chance at being struck by lightning in a year are around a million to 1, but I'm not about to push it by running around with a metal pole in a thunder storm. Please, turn of any ignition sources when fueling up, especially if you have loved ones with you. Safety is more important than cold beers. Well, maybe not.. and yes it has happened. Gas vapors, ignition source, fire, camper burns up, fire impinges on propane tanks, relief valve starts screaming flame or worse.....KA-BOOM! (BLEVE) Was a cold fridge worth it? Even better, fuel up before hooking up.

Crabbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #15

Is there a need to turn off fridge if your running a diesel MH and filling with diesel.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Is there a need to turn off fridge if your running a diesel MH and filling with diesel.....
I see your point since diesel has a much higher ignition temp but I wouldn't chance it since there are usually gas pumps close by. Gas vapors can travel considerable distance and "puddle" in low lying areas. All I'm saying is why risk it? It may be rare but it certainly isn't impossible.
Crabbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #17

You are correct.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Explorer

if I ever pull into a fueling station and smell so much gas that there could be an issue, I will move on and call 911. Could always up grade to a 3 way fridge(propane,120AC and 12DC).
Every one should be safe and think of others
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
I see your point since diesel has a much higher ignition temp but I wouldn't chance it since there are usually gas pumps close by. Gas vapors can travel considerable distance and "puddle" in low lying areas. All I'm saying is why risk it? It may be rare but it certainly isn't impossible.
Sure hope you don't stop at a station with another camper fueling because his frig is probably on.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Sure hope you don't stop at a station with another camper fueling because his frig is probably on.
If you see a Sunseeker pulling a 16' enclosed motocross trailer, I know for a fact his is on.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote