Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Roof Wash and Treatment

In commercial applications rubber roofs have been around for decades. They require little to no maintenance except around the perimeter, protrusions and seams. Life expectancy is measured in decades, the roofs I had installed in the 80's are still preforming flawlessly.

OK... to the point. I was in the RV store today and they had a shelf full of roof products, washes and treatments. Do we really need to wash and treat the roof? Will it extend longevity? How long do they last without treatment? Just looking for options, real life stories and factual information.

Thanks in advance.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #2

It would be hard to prove one way or another. I clean mine once a year with a Thetford cleaner and UV protectant combination. It makes me feel better and helps reduce the black streaking down the sides. To me its no different than doing a wash\wax on the sides. Just part of taking care of our gear.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
It would be hard to prove one way or another. I clean mine once a year with a Thetford cleaner and UV protectant combination. It makes me feel better and helps reduce the black streaking down the sides. To me its no different than doing a wash\wax on the sides. Just part of taking care of our gear.

It's all about the black streaks and keeping them off the sides. A clean roof will leave less streaks.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
In commercial applications rubber roofs have been around for decades. They require little to no maintenance except around the perimeter, protrusions and seams. Life expectancy is measured in decades, the roofs I had installed in the 80's are still preforming flawlessly.

OK... to the point. I was in the RV store today and they had a shelf full of roof products, washes and treatments. Do we really need to wash and treat the roof? Will it extend longevity? How long do they last without treatment? Just looking for options, real life stories and factual information.

Thanks in advance.
I've never use those products except for the black streak remover when I had aluminum siding. I use Dawn and a soft brush.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I've never use those products except for the black streak remover when I had aluminum siding. I use Dawn and a soft brush.
Yup my owners manual states dawn dishsoap type cleaner and a soft brizzle brush! I plan on doing this once too twice a yr! I have considered using a UV type protectant as well but I haven't decided for sure yet!
born2ride41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
This! Which is what my owners manual states as well! I do monthly "looks" for damage, etc and then wash twice a year!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Me 3! Haven't ever used black streak remover. Wax in spring with whatever is in the garage, Nu-Finish, Mother's etc. Whatever goes on the easiest and off easier, not that big of deal.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I found this in the FR manual about roofs.

Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or SpicN-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush.

Superflex does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the Superflex roof membrane
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
StlClay

I used Spic and Span with great results. Wax with carnuba type wax and the very minor black marks disappear. Once a year works great.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #10

I use the same car wash solution on the roof that I use on the sides. After that I spray/wipe Protectant 303 on the rubber membrane and plastic components on the roof.
I haven't seen anything from FR stating what to do but Country Coach recommended the Protectant 303 so I've just continued the practice.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #11

Wash and then rinse with "Rain X"...J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #12

I've wondered about the wash and then treat with Ultra Ever Dry. Seems like the perfect solution for any RV roof, and pop up canvas bunks.

JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:23 PM   #13

Truly impressive video. Are there any claims about UV protection?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #14

I try to wash my roof after each trip.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #15

I lived in So Florida where my Rockwood TT roof gets pretty blacks from mildew.
Once a yr I prepare a mild bleach solution in a 3 gallon sprayer and spray the roof down followed by a scrubbing with a soft brush and water rinse. Follow up with sone 303. Seems to work well. I believe I heard this treatment in an RV seminar. Wax the sides 1-2x a yr with New Finish. Works well.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince and Charlette View Post
Truly impressive video. Are there any claims about UV protection?
I don't know much more about it than the video shows. I think it may be a market unexplored if this works on RV roofs and repels UV.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:40 AM   #17

I am not sure what divisions are using it, Rockwood and Flagstaff I am sure of, but back to 2016 models at least and possily earlier, the roofs are Alpha Systems Superflex. Its a modified single ply TPO. A plastic not a rubber. You are not supposed to treat it with anything, not even 303. I am a big believer in 303 but an Alpha rep at an RV show told me not to use it, and went into a 5 minute speech of why.You would need to be a chemist to understand everything he said. He also said to be sure to use the Alpha sealants (Alpha total protection) for touch up and not regular Dicor. A neighbor found out the hard way what Dicor does to the Superflex. It made it bubble at the edge of the sealant and I suspect did so bigtime under the sealant. I suspect dicor or other sealants made for TPO would still be ok but I use the Alpha even though its a PITA to find in colors such as beige. Everyones favorite, Camping World, has it online in the colors.

Prior to 2016 or earlier models at least on Rockwoods, they used a two ply TPO. Colored on top, black on bottom back to at least 09/10, maybe earlier. Not sure of brand but may have been Alpha Superply. I believe before that they used EPDM rubber. I am not sure of those years but I replaced a roof on a 2011 Roo and it was 2 ply TPO.

Many FR divisions are using the Superflex if not all.

Black streaks? A lot of it comes out of the sealants including the caulking used around trim on the sidewalls. I don't believe you get any black streaks from Superflex membrane. We have had 3 other trailers and our 17 Roo gets less black streaks than any. Mostly I see it on the bunk doors from the caulking used on the trim and they wipe right off. On the other trailers we had that had true EPDM rubber roofs the black streaks from it were tough and required the special cleaners. As other have said keeping a coat of wax helps a lot.

As much as I like it I have been fighting the urge to use 303 on my roof based on what the rep said and the maintenance instructions that came in the paperwork package.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdrell View Post
I lived in So Florida where my Rockwood TT roof gets pretty blacks from mildew.
Once a yr I prepare a mild bleach solution in a 3 gallon sprayer and spray the roof down followed by a scrubbing with a soft brush and water rinse. Follow up with sone 303. Seems to work well. I believe I heard this treatment in an RV seminar. Wax the sides 1-2x a yr with New Finish. Works well.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

This post made me realize that the differences in climate throughout north america presents unique challenges to our maintenance requirements. For some this requires frequent monitoring and maintenance for others ,like my brother in law, who stores his Jaco in a clean heated space not a lot of maintenance is required.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #19
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
$10,000 to replace a roof?

We have a 2014 Rockwood Signature Ultralight and on our recent trip from Ord/ Phx, the roof started peeling off from the front to back. We stopped at a Camping World in Albuquerque and they told us it will cost between $10,000 to $11,000 to replace. They did a temporary fix and we finished our trip.
Now we are staying in a Mobil Home Park for the winter and the park manager recommended a roof fix from a guy that puts a rubber coating on it. He says it works great on Mobil Homes.
Anyone have any experience with this process or idea? How would it work on an RV?
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #20

Does anyone seal the outside edges of the roof? I've use dicor for other area, just wondering if anyone runs a dicor bead along the edges also?

Tags
roo, roof