RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
bobcrowder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
No worries. It will come out of out the tank just like it comes out of the lines.
X2
__________________
2012 F150 4x4 5.0
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26bh
God Bless America
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Rrickim63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
Why does everyone keep talking about dumping a gallon of pink stuff into the traps? don't you get plenty in there when you turn on the faccuet and let it run for a few seconds while it chugs out the air? I also put AF in FW tank and pull it in. Never noticed a bad taste after flushing. But we don't really drink the water at the CG anyway. We always take bottled water for drinking.
Agree.. have used antifreeze for years..if you flush correctly, you should not taste anything.
__________________
2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #23
Member
 
Sharpey31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 51
What is the proper way to flush the system? This is my first season after winterizing.
__________________
Sharpey312013 FR Wildwood 26TBSS owner
Sharpey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpey31 View Post
What is the proper way to flush the system? This is my first season after winterizing.
My yearly routine, I hook to my house water, flush the antifreeze out of the system with every faucet, sprayer and the toilet until it's clear water, as a system check. That way I have bleach free water to deal with if there's a problem. Then I pour half a gallon of bleach into the fresh tank, run about 20 gallons of water in and then turn the water heater bypass to normal. Fill the water heater, flush the system again until I can smell the bleach coming through. Let it sit about an hour, drain the remaining fresh out.

More water 10 gallons or so) into the fresh tank, drain to rinse, then put more fresh into the tank. Purge the lines through again until each faucet smells and tastes normal.

It's a couple of hours of work but in the 12 years with my old TT I never had a funky water system issue.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #25
Member
 
Sharpey31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 51
Thanks that's what I thought lots of water and bleach and run it through until it clear and doesn't smell like bleach anymore. Thanks
__________________
Sharpey312013 FR Wildwood 26TBSS owner
Sharpey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
mark0224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrowder View Post
Why does everyone keep talking about dumping a gallon of pink stuff into the traps? don't you get plenty in there when you turn on the faccuet and let it run for a few seconds while it chugs out the air? I also put AF in FW tank and pull it in. Never noticed a bad taste after flushing. But we don't really drink the water at the CG anyway. We always take bottled water for drinking.
You do this because there is about a cup of water in each trap and the antifreeze that comes out of your faucet may have some water in it when it first comes out. Mostly just to make sure the traps are free of water and to save time in the spring repairing things you didn't expect.

I do mine in this order
1 open the furthest faucet from the city water and blow lines out with air compressor working back opening the next closest valve until all lines have air only coming out. toilet valve included
2 open hot water tank and let any out of it that didn't get with air and turn the bypass valve on the hot water tank
3 add antifreeze through pump so its protected and run it through all valves until all show pink not foamy pink
Antifreeze is cheap repairs are expensive

De winterize hook up to city water flush all lines till no pink now.
Put hot water tank plugs back and and open bypass valves, fill water tank add a cup of pool chlorine or clorox and flush all lines again. 1 cup of chlorine is more than enough for 40 gal of water in the tank.
Any water in the water tank that sits for a while will form algae, so if you don't use your trailer for a long time I like to drain the tank and when I fill it again add a cup of chlorine.

Drinking water we carry with us in a separate container usually 10 gal for 2 weeks is enough for the 2 of us.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
My yearly routine, I hook to my house water, flush the antifreeze out of the system with every faucet, sprayer and the toilet until it's clear water, as a system check. That way I have bleach free water to deal with if there's a problem. Then I pour half a gallon of bleach into the fresh tank, run about 20 gallons of water in and then turn the water heater bypass to normal. Fill the water heater, flush the system again until I can smell the bleach coming through. Let it sit about an hour, drain the remaining fresh out.

More water 10 gallons or so) into the fresh tank, drain to rinse, then put more fresh into the tank. Purge the lines through again until each faucet smells and tastes normal.

It's a couple of hours of work but in the 12 years with my old TT I never had a funky water system issue.
A HALF GALLON ? ? ?
1 cup per 30 gallon is plenty!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #28
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,205
We just drive to our first camping spot in the spring and hook up to water
and sewer (if available) and I switch the bypass valves on the water heater
back to summer mode. I open all faucets one at a time to run out the
pink stuff and let out the air so the water heater fills.
Once it's full I flip the breaker to turn it on.
We run extra water each time we need to brush teeth or fill the coffee pot.
After a couple days the water stops foaming and we're good to go.
We've never had any after taste beyond the 2nd day.

I'm a firm believer in the KISS method for camping.

Happy Camping!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
A HALF GALLON ? ? ?
1 cup per 30 gallon is plenty!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
X2
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
A HALF GALLON ? ? ?
1 cup per 30 gallon is plenty!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
I use that much so I can smell it easily and know when it's all out.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
mjones12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Some use a pump to push antifreeze through the fresh water system, but some of us just put it into the fresh water tank and let the coach's pump do the work. A problem doing this with our Sunseeker is that the tank fill is high and trying to hold a funnel and the antifreeze over your head is asking for trouble. A 2 liter soft drink bottle is a perfect fit for the tank fill. I use a funnel from the kitchen to fill the bottle from the antifreeze jugs. I don't want anything from a funnel from my shop to be washed into the tank.
Because our winterizing hose is located very inconveniently behind the dinette seating, it is much easier for us to pump antifreeze out of the FW tank. Frankly, I would never drink out of a tank I can't see into (no matter how many times it gets sanitized), so we're not concerned about the taste. All we use that tank for is flushing the toilet while on the road.....and for winterizing.
__________________
2018 Coachmen Apex 249 RBS
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8


The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I use that much so I can smell it easily and know when it's all out.

To each his own.

I add a half cup of bleach to about 15 gallons and run water till clear.
Let set overnight.
Then drain fw tank and refill about 15 gallons and flush all 15 through all taps and be done.

Then open the bypassed valves on wh.

I'm ready to go.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
mark0224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,443
To much chlorine will make plastics brittle.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,428
So will age. 12 years without a single leak or failure, I must not be causing the world to end.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
camper1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
To much chlorine will make plastics brittle.
X2 and dry out your seals

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
__________________
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #36
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,276
The first time I de-winterized and sanitized, I tried a half cup of bleach and honestly couldn't smell anything. I ended up using almost double the recommended amount before I could smell the chlorine at the taps.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
The first time I de-winterized and sanitized, I tried a half cup of bleach and honestly couldn't smell anything. I ended up using almost double the recommended amount before I could smell the chlorine at the taps.
Personally you don't "need" to smell it to know if it's there.
Your talking 1/4 cup to 15 gallons your probably not going to smell it.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #38
Canadian Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eastern GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Personally you don't "need" to smell it to know if it's there.
Your talking 1/4 cup to 15 gallons your probably not going to smell it.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

Perhaps, Turbs, but I'm not comfortable if I can't smell it. We had a terrible tragedy up here when several people died and hundreds got sick from contaminated municipal drinking water so I'm maybe over sensitive to this. As long as it doesn't damage my plastic water lines, I'll continue to use a bit more than the recommended amount of bleach.
__________________
2019 Rockwood Signature 8290BS, Reese Revolution pinbox and B&W Patriot 18K hitch
2016 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCrew, 6.2L, 4x4, 6'9" bed, 3.73, w/ snow plow & camper pkgs.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
Member
 
EnduroRdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ocean Springs, MS
Posts: 91
The solution to pollution is dilution!

Flush, flush and re-flush! I winterized with RV antifreeze once and regretted it after. (mostly because of all the work involved undoing it) Took all day to get to where I felt comfortable that it was clean enough. So now I just drain and blow out everything, But then our low temps are seldom anything below 30 and only for a day or so (exception this year we actually got to low 20's a couple of times).
But if I lived in colder climate I guess it is just one more seasional procedure that comes with RV life.
__________________
2011 Work & Play 27UL and 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Perhaps, Turbs, but I'm not comfortable if I can't smell it. We had a terrible tragedy up here when several people died and hundreds got sick from contaminated municipal drinking water so I'm maybe over sensitive to this. As long as it doesn't damage my plastic water lines, I'll continue to use a bit more than the recommended amount of bleach.
My point is, which I have not made yet but I will now.

Bleach, much like automotive antifreeze in this comparison is less effective as the bleach ratio goes up and the water ratio goes down.

Bleach diluted in the proper ratio is far more effective then just straight bleach.

Soooo you may think your doing, the old moto " more is better" but in this case your actually sanitizing less and causing yourself more harm by doing so.

Again do what you want, or what you've been doing if that make you feel better.

By the way google " bleach over dilution" if you think I'm blowing smoke.

Have a great day.


TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
antifreeze, fresh water, tank, water, water tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.