Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

Satellite Question

So, my wife signed us up for Directv and it includes 3 Recievers for the price of 2 for the life of our contract, but we only have 2 TVs in the house. I want to use the 3rd Reciever in the TT.

What do I need to do? I was researching a bit about the Winegard RT1200S RoadTrip Satellite Dish and seems to be the best bang for my buck. Anyone had experience with this unit and how it works with Directv? Is it a 'plug n play' system, or will I end up buying extra crap to make it work with my Directv? Can I use the existing Coax from the Factory Antena on the top of my Surveyor?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #2

Depending, your trailer should already have a Sat/cable in antenna port. Ifg it does, you simply hook up to that port from the antenna. Then inside you connect the Sat/Cable port to the sat receive. DO NOT connect it to the roof top[ antenna. That circuit has a booster and it could blow your sat box. You of course will need a antenna. One of the winegard in a box ones should be OK. Although you will also need to aim it, so you will need some more "stuff" for that operation. Unless you are really really lucky and hit the proper bird on the first or second try.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #3

Thanks. The Winegard unit I mentioned is supposed to be an enclosed 'on the move' style with no 'pointing' needed. Anyone use one of these and have input?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #4

Greetings!.
I also have Directv and can only see a problem if you park under any shade trees blocking the signal of the satellites(is this a stationary on the roof?) I have a VuCube from CampingWorld for about $500, with 100' of RG-6 cable to move it around to an open south sky. On the menu of the controller is a satellite set up option. Select 18" round(1st one I think), go to satellite strength meter & use the remote controller to find your satellite, locking in your best strength. Only a very few times did it take alittle longer(because the ground setting the VuCube wasn't level), but I've never had a problem and only took a few minutes for set up. I don't go camping to watch television, but if I'm paying for it anyway I might as well watch something(sometimes can't pick up local channels due to the terrain). Good luck in your decision.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

I am hoping for a stationary unit I can install and leave on the roof.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

Any of the roof mounted units are OK. The problem is as mentioned, it needs to have a clear view of the southern sky. A portable dish is in many cases better and cheaper.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #7

thanks, I'll look into those
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #8

The only extras that I needed for the VuCube was a cheap compass for locating the southern sky. I'm not pushing VuCube's, but mine sets on the ground, doesn't have a high profile thats' not bothered by high wind, and I just put it in the back door of the trailer(its lightweight & small) for storage. Campers with the dishes walk by and ask how we like ours alot, almost every outing. I've used a flat antenna cable put out the slide window so we could bring a bigger television from home. Seems crazy but a 19" anymore looks small!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #9

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions. We just got our Rockwood only a month ago. We already had DirectTV with an extra box and sattelite. We not only talked to our dealer but also our DirectTv guy about installation. Our first trip out couldn't get the darn thing to work. Our second trip out however we passed a Camping World store and went in to check it out since we had not ever been in one before. Good thing we did. A guy in the tech area gave us excellent advice on how to hook up the sattelite and get everything running. Ran back to the campsite and the good advice paid off. So if nothing else works for you try Camping World.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #10

8280ws

hello Jewellz26

We to have a 8280ws (2009) , But have had no luck installing a dish to the outside plug in , We did find a problem with the wiring coming apart behind the stereo, to much weight on the wires. But still no Tv. Any help would be appreciated.
Big Willy is offline   Reply With Quote