Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

screws in the walls

I'm ready to hang up spice racks and broom hangers, but am cautioned by a friend who "nicked" a wire and ended electricity to a nearby overhead light. I don't want to experience that. Does anyone have encouragement about knowing where wires are likely to be - on the wall side of the fridge for example, the only place for my spice racks? Or on the back wall behind the toilet - where it seems there should be none, unless that's where the wire might be to the overhead fan? Thanks!
Arizona
traveling with Famous Peaches, silver tabby cat, child of the Wild
Jean 7752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Tough to say, they run the wires where ever and seemingly without thought. Maybe try a stud finder to sense the power (mine will pick up 120 so not sure if it will do 12v). If I am not sure where to run the wire I try to use a command hook or double sided tape to stick it on.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Every rig is different and even the ones that are similar, the wiring could be located just a few inches differently from one unit to the next.

There is no way we could tell you for sure.

You might drill a small hole first, just far enough to go through the wall, then using a toothpick or a straightened paperclip, push it through to see if you feel any resistance of anything in the way.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #4
WFD

I second using Command Hooks..I wouldn't drill into the wall.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

We added spice rack last year to trailer beside fridge. We used shortest screws possible as the heads of the screws are there to cover holes in rack mainly. We used a product called "As Good As Nails". It is a glue that goes on white then turns clear. With the screws and glue it is as solid as can be. We have no plans to remove spice rack.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #6

Use command adhesive backers. They can be used without the hooks. If you think the item may be heavier than a single set of adhesive backers, than simply add more, before you put it up on the wall. I have some heavy pictures up with 6 adhesive foam backers. You can get replacement adhesive packs, if you don't plan to use the hooks.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the wall on which you'd like to attach the item. After cleaning get a cotton ball and clean the wall again with some rubbing alcohol. let that dry, then apply the item to the wall. You'll need to let it sit for about 24 hours before applying much weight to it, but they actually work for much more than just the hooks. If you take the time and clean the wall behind the item, the adhesive will last for a LLLLOOONNNGGG time (at least two years in our last trailer).

We put up pictures, small shelving, etc. with these all the time and they work very well.

If you really want to put screws in the wall (I had to install a handrail, which required it) use a very good stud finder. I have one that will let me know if the "stud" is wood or metal, and it will also tell me if there are electrical lines (ac or dc). Go ahead an buy one. Once you use it in your house, you'll be very happy you bought it.

You shouldn't need to worry about water lines up in the wall.

Good luck.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
RV Parts Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean 7752 View Post
I'm ready to hang up spice racks and broom hangers, but am cautioned by a friend who "nicked" a wire and ended electricity to a nearby overhead light. I don't want to experience that. Does anyone have encouragement about knowing where wires are likely to be - on the wall side of the fridge for example, the only place for my spice racks? Or on the back wall behind the toilet - where it seems there should be none, unless that's where the wire might be to the overhead fan? Thanks!
i would not recommend drilling into the walls at all. The wires are not run in a set pattern from unit to unit. Our techs dont even drill into the walls due to this.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean 7752 View Post
You might want to use industrial strength Velcro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I used it to hang light strips 3 years ago, and they are still up. Great stuff!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
jkoenig24

There are circuit tracers you can buy. A non-contact voltage tester might pick up flowing current if the wall material isn't too thick.

https://www.google.com/search?q=circ...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=non-...hrome&ie=UTF-8
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Not only use the command hooks but also use Velcro to limit movement.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 AM   #11

Another vote for Command hooks or Commend strips !!!
If you are going to use Commend products,,,
give them time to set before you add weight !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #12

I vote for Command hooks but we also hung canvas picture frames using outside double stick tape. The tape is black in color.

Robert Shorter
2015 Dodge 3500 DWD
Blue Ridge 3600RS
rmshorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #13

Out new Isata 3 came with a separately packaged towel ring and toilet paper holder featuring screws. The screws are too long to use on the cabinetry doors. Which begs the question--if we're not supposed to drill into walls or panels, where on earth should these accessories be mounted?! We wound up using our own shorter screws to mount the toilet paper holder into the inside of a cabinet door and the towel ring will probably never be used though I suppose it could be mounted on the backside of the bathroom door.

I've been cooking (including using herbs and spices) for half a century. Spice racks are best mounted on the insides of doors or cabinets. Most herbs and spices deteriorate (lose their flavor) faster when they're exposed to light and heat. Moisture isn't their friend either.

I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to get a ferrous/magnetic sheet (a steel cookie pan could work) with an small hole in the top. Mount it with a sturdy Command hook or even a metal one on the inside of a cabinet door. Make sure the hook or screw isn't longer than the thickness of the door or you'll have an unsightly and sharp profusion on the other side!

Get some small short clear containers (lightweight and nonbreakable). Glue a strong magnet to the top. Sticks to the sheet/pan. As a bonus, you could use the a cookie sheet for baking as well.

There are manufactured versions of magnetic spice/herb storage online but their dimensions might not suit your needs. Kamenstein makes one which features 12 spices for about $40. Dimensions are 14.2 x 12.9 x 4.3 inches.
VeniVidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #14

We use the stick on hooks by 3M. Lots of weight and you can yank them off to replace or remove.
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln View Post
We use the stick on hooks by 3M. Lots of weight and you can yank them off to replace or remove.
I believe those are Command Hooks ???
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I believe those are Command Hooks ???

That's the one yes. Always have a package of them handy.
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #17

I would use command hooks.

You can use the inductive amplifier to find live wires (use them by known wiring first where they are on. Ac makes lots of noise (60hz hum). Not sure about dc. I think Noncontact Voltage Testers can go through rv walls as well and are cheaper. Every owner should have one anyway for troubleshooting. Again verify first where you know there is ac and dc wiring as the beeps are different.

This will only tell you wiring. Plumbing is a whole other game which is also why everyone says command strips.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #18

We used command strips to hang pictures, command hooks to hold keys, towels, hats at home and in the lite.

Great product, be sure to FOLLOW the directions and make sure the surface of the wall and rack are clean.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #19

Most Auto parts stores sell industrial grade double backed mounting buy the heavy duty tape, I believe the tape comes in various widths. I've used the tape to mount different things. An alternative is to use Liquid Nails exterior construction adhesive. Usually any thing put together with this adhesive will break anywhere but where the adhesive is used.
Rosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosecreek View Post
Most Auto parts stores sell industrial grade double backed mounting buy the heavy duty tape, I believe the tape comes in various widths. I've used the tape to mount different things. An alternative is to use Liquid Nails exterior construction adhesive. Usually any thing put together with this adhesive will break anywhere but where the adhesive is used.
Te Great thing about Command products is they can be taken down with out damaging what they were stuck to !!!