Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Sleep apnea and dry camping?

I am wondering if anyone out there has a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and is
also able to camp without electrical hookup. If so, do you have a specific rechargeable power type box
that you use? Canadian tire here in Canada sells a bunch of different ones called "eliminator" so I know there are units out there, but I would like to find out what actually works, and lasts a whole night. My husband has severe sleep apnea and we can not go without.
A generator does not seem to be an option, as most campgrounds want them off at night.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Lady W

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #2

I have a Bipap machine, and I dry camp about 3 or 4 times a year. There really isn't a good answer to your question, however I personally camp with a battery operated fan blowing on me at night, which helps at least some. I started out with a C pap machine, but Bi pap works sooooo much better. C pap is Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. Bi pap changes via a valve to have the same air pressure blowing in as c pap, but switches to allow you to exhale without the pressure still blowing. Night and day difference, to me!
SOME campgrounds may allow you to run a very quiet Honda generator for that- and if you pull with a pickup truck, and have a trailer, not a fiver, then you could put that Honda in the bed of the truck, install a topper, and face the back of the truck towards the woods. I doubt anyone would be disturbed by that. Those Honda's are really quiet. Check with the campground manager first to explain why you need to run it, but it is really pretty quiet. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
You will find your answer at this site:
CPAP.com - Learning Center, CPAP Equipment, Power Solutions

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #4

The first question I would ask is how much power the unit draws? Most appliances will tell you either how many watts and/or how many amps it draws.

I have a ~7 year old Eliminator power box that is still going strong; and I know it will power a 15 watt CFL bulb all night. But it typically is good for about 200 watt hours. So that means it will run a 200 watt appliance for 1 hour, a 20 watt appliance for 10 hours, or a 2 watt appliance for 100 hours.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #5

I solved the problem by getting a machine that has a built in battery pack. Will run on 110, or battery. Battery runs for about 10-11 hours. Good unit. Keep it in the RV.
Oilmaggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #6

the CPAP is one of the reasons i don't dry camp.
i have thought abt wiring up a DC connection in the bed room and running mine. i also use a heated humidifier.
i would think u should be able to make the night on ur trailer battery but have never tried it.

every time the power goes off here, i threaten to get a computer UPS and put between me and the power co.
if u run it on an inverter, the inverter power consumption will also have to be considered.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #7

CPAP machine
I have a Sunseeker 3100ss with 2 batteries.
When dry camping I use a Wagan 180 Watt Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter, that plugs in a 12 volt out let in the beb room.
It will not handle the humidifier on maxs but on lows seem to work.
To run all night ( 8 hr) on batteries depends on having a full charge, and what else might be running at night. Also check the watt requirement for the CPAC.
MtMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #8

cpapxchange.com has a battery pack for almost all machines that lasts 18 to 24 hours run time for around 300.00. Wow, I never knew these were even available for cpap/bipap machines! Thanks for the info dimurrrw! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
The Old Man

I haven't used my CPAP during dry camping, but I have a battery pack unit that I keep at home for those rare times when the power goes out. My battery pack will run the CPAP for at least 2 nights without recharging.

It also comes in handy for running any DC appliance that has the standard DC connector!

Some CPAP (or BiPAP -- no difference) machines will accept a DIRECT DC connection. I have a DC adapter that looks like jumper cables that I could also use by connecting to any standard 12-volt battery.

I've bought my machines and supplies from CPAP Plus Direct for many, many years and they are a very reliable source.

Here's a link to their battery backup page: CPAP Supplies | Miscellaneous CPAP Supplies

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
rbq

I use a Respironic M series C-Pap machine. It will work on either 110 or 12 volt. I have the 12 volt cable for it. Although I take the humidifier with me I make sure that it is turned off as it would pull too much power & drain a battery overnight. I purchased an AGM battery from Cabellas to use in the trailer as we frequently dry camp. The AGM is a glass mat battery that is sealed so won't damage things like a liquid acid battery would. (Just got back from 6 day trip dry camping). I have used this battery for 3 nights in a row without needing charging. I put it on the generator charger once this week to keep it charged up. It works great. Don't let C-Pap use stop you from dry camping. By the way this AGM battery is also my power backup for when the power goes off at home.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #11

Wow. Just checked on my unit "AEIOmed Everest 2 Travel CPAP Machine" and found out there was a fire at the factory and it is no longer made. Sad, it is a great u it that will run all night with built in battery even with the heater on.
Oilmaggott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #12

My brother uses one in a tractor-trailer and runs it off a 700 watt inverter, it does not use much juice at all. He has never had a problem with it getting the main batteries too low overnight, of course he has three batteries.
Check the draw, I think it is not much.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #13

I use a COBRA battery jump starter / power pack in the 900w model. Has both 12v and 110v power options, plus a USB charging port. Very convenient and will run my machine for the entire weekend.

trjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

Cpap

This is really good information for us users, and good advice on how to use the units when camping...the last time out, I forgot mine while on a five day trip...got by, but was really great to get back home. I have a spare machine in our other RV in the mountains, so I suppose I need one in the new 5'er..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #15

Power supply

Bought a Goal Zero 350 watt battery. Powered my fathers machine with no problem and still run things the next morning. Re-charged it during the day and used it again each night on a four night trip with no problem.
speters53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #16

I was diagnosed with SA about 10 years ago. during that time I have also dry camped in season every weekend and sometimes 8 days at a time with my CPAP, a 12v deep cycle gel cell battery and a 150 watt inverter. The battery will last 4 days easily if you use a passive humidifier. I rigged a charge line from my trailer socket on my vehicle and recharge the battery as we drive to and from hiking spots or sightseeing.
garym053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #17

Cpap

Good information to have, although we very seldom do any dry camping, except at the Wal-Mart are Lowes, this will come in handy in those cases, thanks,
What kind of pillow to you use, the VA just sent me a full face pillow, its going back next week, can't stand it..
LKicklight
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #18

Bed Pillow or Mask pillow? I use a regular bed pillow and a Swift II Mask with Nasal Pillows. I've never tried a full face mask as I can sleep with my mouth closed as long as the CPAP is running. The Nasal Masks had too many leaks that woke me up, The Swift II with Nasal Pillows works great for me.
garym053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #19

Mask Pillow

The full face is not for me, the one I have been using fits over the nose only..I do not have a problem keeping my mouth closed either, don't know why they sent me this thing, its going back..
take care
Old 03-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Just added a 12v outlet in our new 5ver. Used the 12v outlet all the time in case the power would go out in our old trailer. I also use the humidifier with it as the power cord is designed to power the unit & humidifier together.