Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Slide Locks

I just finished reading a 4 page thread in another section concerning slide locks. The 5th wheel we previously owned came with a slide lock. Our 8244WS we purchased recently did not come with slide locks. Should we be using slide locks on this unit, are they recommended? We have no problem spending the money for slide locks if there is a need but really don't want to purchase them if not needed.

Thanks.
Rockwood Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
I just finished reading a 4 page thread in another section concerning slide locks. The 5th wheel we previously owned came with a slide lock. Our 8244WS we purchased recently did not come with slide locks. Should we be using slide locks on this unit, are they recommended? We have no problem spending the money for slide locks if there is a need but really don't want to purchase them if not needed.

Thanks.
You'll probably get the same info here as what you read in the other thread.

Like with many things, it's personal preference. If you feel better using them, then go ahead. Just remember to take them out when you open your slides.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #3

I don't even know what they are. Are they use to keep your slides out? But since I have never had then and never had a issue, it would be more trouble to remember to remove them?
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
I don't even know what they are. Are they use to keep your slides out? But since I have never had then and never had a issue, it would be more trouble to remember to remove them?
They are used to keep your slides *in*, while the vehicle is in motion. My trailer came with one, it's basically a "screw bar" with a foot on each end. It goes on the top of the slide, with one end pressed against the header bar of the slide and the other end rests against the outside wall.

the one that came with my trailer has a long string with a red tag attached to it that hangs down in my face whenever it is up there.

I stopped using it after the first trip or two, but I don't really have strong feelings for or against.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #5

Our Flagstaff 21DS came with slidelock which I did not use. 2020 Flagstaff 26FKS did not come with locks. During first longer trip top of front slide started sneaking out about 3”. Purchased a slide lock and solved the issue. Still under warranty so I documented with the dealer and will take in at the end of the season. This should not happen, something must be up with the locking system once the slide is in. I will probably continue to use the lock once the issue is resolved. Kind of unsettling seeing the slide flexing out heading down the road.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

If you want to check to see if you should use them or not, just (with the slide completely CLOSED) push outward on the top of the slide. If it moves away from the wall at the top (the stowed position), you need a slide lock when traveling.

The only thing holding the slide in place is a clutch in the gearbox that can wear over time allowing sidewise movement (like a curb strike or air pressure change) to overcome the clutch and start the slide in motion. Inertia at that point could keep it moving and may completely open.

If you have a hydraulic actuated slide out, there would need to be a leak for the slide to move on its own.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
If you want to check to see if you should use them or not, just (with the slide completely CLOSED) push outward on the top of the slide. If it moves away from the wall at the top (the stowed position), you need a slide lock when traveling.

The only thing holding the slide in place is a clutch in the gearbox that can wear over time allowing sidewise movement (like a curb strike or air pressure change) to overcome the clutch and start the slide in motion. Inertia at that point could keep it moving and may completely open.

If you have a hydraulic actuated slide out, there would need to be a leak for the slide to move on its own.
Great advice Herk. That is exactly what I did and it took very little pressure to move the top of the slide
Old 08-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #8

With my new Trailer, I was using the slide lock. I brought it in for warranty work and the lady at the shop didn't know it was there and pushed my slide out... needless to say, she caused a bit of damage. They were fantastic though, fixed all the damage, then took my slide lock and tossed it in the trash. Said, don't use this ever again. ha ha.

They truly are a great place, but it was pretty funny.
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJones View Post
With my new Trailer, I was using the slide lock. I brought it in for warranty work and the lady at the shop didn't know it was there and pushed my slide out... needless to say, she caused a bit of damage. They were fantastic though, fixed all the damage, then took my slide lock and tossed it in the trash. Said, don't use this ever again. ha ha.

They truly are a great place, but it was pretty funny.
Funny how they blamed the safety device for their incompetency.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #10

Yeah, but it was an accident. [emoji16]
DadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

There have been numerous threads on slide locks. Some use them, some don't. No one reported a problem arising from failure to use one.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
... No one reported a problem arising from failure to use one.
A video was posted recently of a slide-out moving in and out substantially in a Class C being driven in a storm. It looked pretty scary.

That said, I don't use one. Issues are rare, it's hard to put it in place in my trailer, and I'm certain I'll forget it and try to open the slide with it in place.

I like Herk's test, though, and will use it to reconsider whether I should use the lock.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadJones View Post
Yeah, but it was an accident. [emoji16]
After 20 years involved in aviation safety and mishap investigation, I can assure you there is no such thing as an "accident".

There are only human factors that cause damage or death.

An "accident" is an act of God.

"Human Factors" cause everything else.

Bad design
Bad decisions
Bad training
Bad intentions
Lack of situational awareness
Bad judgment

Are all Human Factors.

All mishaps not attributable to a Deity are caused by a person's actions or inactions. Some are caused by a chain of human failures.

A poorly designed widget; installed by a poorly trained individual; caused a failure that was not planned for by the person who provided the training on the widget; such that the individual who needed to react to the widget failure, was unable to react correctly.

That is an error chain of people's mistakes that lead to a mishap.

Note: God did not cause the widget to fail; thus not an accident. The very idea of an "accident" is just a way of dodging the blame because if God did it, then there is nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening in the future.

I am SURE that repair person will ALWAYS check for a slide lock in the future before opening a customer's slide (assuming they still have a job in the industry). Thus this mishap will be prevented in the future (at least by that person).

If that person's negative experience is not disseminated to the repair community, the mishap prevention will not proceed beyond the individual to the community.

You just received for free, a 2 year Associates degree in mishap prevention.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:20 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
A video was posted recently of a slide-out moving in and out substantially in a Class C being driven in a storm. It looked pretty scary.
I'm pretty sure that's the thread the OP was referencing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood Travelers View Post
I just finished reading a 4 page thread in another section concerning slide locks.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:31 AM   #15
RCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
After 20 years involved in aviation safety and mishap investigation, I can assure you there is no such thing as an "accident".

There are only human factors that cause damage or death.

An "accident" is an act of God.

"Human Factors" cause everything else.

Bad design
Bad decisions
Bad training
Bad intentions
Lack of situational awareness
Bad judgment

Are all Human Factors.

All mishaps not attributable to a Deity are caused by a person's actions or inactions. Some are caused by a chain of human failures.

A poorly designed widget; installed by a poorly trained individual; caused a failure that was not planned for by the person who provided the training on the widget; such that the individual who needed to react to the widget failure, was unable to react correctly.

That is an error chain of people's mistakes that lead to a mishap.

Note: God did not cause the widget to fail; thus not an accident. The very idea of an "accident" is just a way of dodging the blame because if God did it, then there is nothing that can be done to prevent it from happening in the future.

I am SURE that repair person will ALWAYS check for a slide lock in the future before opening a customer's slide (assuming they still have a job in the industry). Thus this mishap will be prevented in the future (at least by that person).

If that person's negative experience is not disseminated to the repair community, the mishap prevention will not proceed beyond the individual to the community.

You just received for free, a 2 year Associates degree in mishap prevention.

While I respect your profession' s definition of a accident. Most dictionaries do not agree.
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
While I respect your profession' s definition of a accident. Most dictionaries do not agree.
And so we continue to have "accidents" forever.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflotrtim View Post
There have been numerous threads on slide locks. Some use them, some don't. No one reported a problem arising from failure to use one.
Yes there was a thread just last week or so of the importance of using slide locks as their slide came out on its own while traveling on the road.

Herk, I investigate accidents almost on a daily basis. It is amazing the things people do to "accidently" kill or severely injure themselves.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #18

I bet there is way more damage caused by using slide locks vs. not using them.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 04:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Now this I completely agree with!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:34 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Likely true; sad state of affairs that is ...

Tags
lock, slide