Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2022, 01:26 PM   #1

Sliding seat cushion problem solved

Yeah, I know about that roll of stuff that's supposed to keep things from sliding and how great it is, but even that hasn't worked for us, ... in our Micro Lite 25KS, we've lived with the problem by just pushing them back into place when necessary, but on our last trip I came up with an idea that I do believe is the answer, at least for us, ... was eager to get home to work on it, DW sewed the material this morning and I've just completed the install, ... now anxious for our next trip to give it a try, unless I'm missing something, they can't move now, ... the pics will tell the rest of the story, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1334.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	279146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1336.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	279147   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1338.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	279148   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1341.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	279149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1343.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	279150  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

Interesting. What kind of material is that? You've wrapped it around part of the cushion?

Please let us know if it works. Sliding cushions drove us crazy in our tt.. even with that other 'stuff'.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Interesting. What kind of material is that? You've wrapped it around part of the cushion?

it's off a roll at WM, went looking for denim but found this and like it better, it's a little heavier material than denim and DW likes the pattern, ... that's always important to consider, ...

Old 09-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Couldn't you have used some of the same kind of Velcro that holds the upper cushions?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Couldn't you have used some of the same kind of Velcro that holds the upper cushions?

I suppose so, but it wouldn't be "adjustable" as this method allows, ... on both ends the material is wrapped around a flat bar and then screwed down, ... being able to roll the material on the back bar allows me to make the hold on the cushion as tight as needed and then screw the bar down, that couldn't be done with a strip of Velcro sewed onto the fabric, ...

Old 09-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #6

This would be perfect for yesterday's poster who was looking for a way to secure his TV while it was off the wall mount while traveling. Just snug it down to a dinette bench. Could even have used a spare bath towel.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #7

Isn't what you did fairly permanent? I mean your not going to be unscrewing that bar every trip to clean the cushions, or get to the storage underneath.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Isn't what you did fairly permanent? I mean your not going to be unscrewing that bar every trip to clean the cushions, or get to the storage underneath.

Jim M.

yes, absolutely permanent, ... our dinette bench cushions do not slide or move when traveling, does anyone's do that? Our cushions slide/work their way off the bench from us just sitting and moving on them, getting up and sitting down. I know we're not the only ones who have experience that, because others have mentioned that about their bench cushions sliding off also. ... For the areas under the benches, we have a drawer under one side and a door to access the area under the other side, so what you see in the pics is now our permanent sitting situation, we will be sitting on the striped fabric, ... There is no reason to be removing the screwed down flat bars holding the fabric, unless, if over time there comes a need to maybe tighten up the pull on the fabric a little, I'll undo the back bar, roll a little more fabric and then re-screw it back in place, ...

Old 09-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #9

I have to admit that I've been a little puzzled by some of the posts, (using Velcro?, using the same idea to hold a tv when traveling?), so I'm guessing there's a misunderstanding about why we've done this, ... our cushions DON"T move during travel, if yours does, you've got a terrible vibration problem and probably need to balance your wheels, our cushions slide forward from us SITTING on them, probably mostly when we lean back against the back cushion, can't you see that with nothing to stop it, that would have a tendency for the cushion to slide/move forward slightly each time until it's maybe 3 to 4 inches off the flat hard wooden seat surface, ... it can't go much more than that because those two side cushions are captured by the center cushion of the three sided dinette design, I know that's not the worst thing in the world but it is aggravating, ... The idea of using the fabric the way I have attached it is to hold the seat cushions in place and prevent that forward movement, ... It is intended to be a permanent modification to our dinette sitting arrangement and I am completely convinced this will solve our "sliding seat cushion problem", ....

Old 09-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
Always Learning

I actually really like this idea- plus it's cute and jazzes up the bench a little!

We get under our bench pretty often as we use that space for storage. It looks like you would have to unscrew the rear portion if you wanted to do that?

I bet we could make button snaps instead of screws and make this work for us.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I actually really like this idea- plus it's cute and jazzes up the bench a little!

We get under our bench pretty often as we use that space for storage. It looks like you would have to unscrew the rear portion if you wanted to do that?

I bet we could make button snaps instead of screws and make this work for us.

Thank you,

Yes, if we had to raise the lid of the seat to get to those areas I would have to do this some other way, but we don't, we have a door going under one seat and a drawer going under the other seat, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1353.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	279249  

Old 09-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
Thank you,

Yes, if we had to raise the lid of the seat to get to those areas I would have to do this some other way, but we don't, we have a door going under one seat and a drawer going under the other seat, ...
Yeah, that was my question earlier. The draw under our seat only covers about 1/3 or less the storage under the seat. We don't go in there often, but several time a year maybe. And with dogs, and me being a messy eater my wife is always vacuuming under the cushions, shaking them off, etc. Thats why I was kinda surprised when you left no option to remove the cushion. All that matters is it works for you.

Oh, about the TV which is confusing. There is another thread going on about where to put your TV while traveling. One suggestion was to toss it on the bed. But those with Murphey beds can't. So I'm guessing that someone suggested using your approach to hold he TV is place.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:18 PM   #13

Yesb

Quote:
Oh, about the TV which is confusing. There is another thread going on about where to put your TV while traveling. One suggestion was to toss it on the bed. But those with Murphey beds can't. So I'm guessing that someone suggested using your approach to hold he TV is place.

Jim M.
Yes, that was exactly my intent.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Yeah, that was my question earlier. The draw under our seat only covers about 1/3 or less the storage under the seat. We don't go in there often, but several time a year maybe. And with dogs, and me being a messy eater my wife is always vacuuming under the cushions, shaking them off, etc. Thats why I was kinda surprised when you left no option to remove the cushion. All that matters is it works for you.

Jim M.

Under our seat with the drawer is where our propane heater is, so that whole compartment is taken up, no room for any storage there for anything, but since we're all electric and don't even carry propane, we never go into there anyway, ... under the other seat with the door is where we carry our drinking water and we don't carry pets so it's just the two of us, ... I think this solution is going to work just fine for us, ...

Old 09-23-2022, 01:32 PM   #15

I like this idea, We just lined the leading edge of ours with 8" wide strip of velcro. It works and also allows us to grasp the front edge of the cushion to open the lid to the below storage. But this works and also protects the cushion.
Hawkester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:11 PM   #16

This is a great idea!

2021 Georgetown GT5 34H5
A Good Way To See The Country!
cbell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

Please let us know if it works. Sliding cushions drove us crazy in our tt.. even with that other 'stuff'.
Well the verdict is in, amazingly successful, works better than I had expected, ... we've been here in this cg for over three weeks now with no sign of cushion movement at all on either side, and that does surprise me, ... I expected there would be at least a little bit of fabric stretching that would require me to put one more roll on the bars to tighten it up again, and that may be the case eventually, but at this time that has not happened, ... just yesterday DW mentioned how nice it is that we've not had to deal with the sliding cushions, ... so "Sliding seat cushion problem solved"