Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 PM   #1

State rules for towing length

We just bought a 43" travel trailer. First time to do this and we are planning on traveling. A friend told my mom we couldn't go to North Carolina because we are to long. Thought he was crazy so I googled it and saw it was true. Anybody else have this problem with being over the required length? Suggestions? Ideas?
Shumate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:05 AM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Below is the actual statute. By their definition the tow vehicle is 1 vehicle and the rv trailer is the RV vehicle.
They permit the RV, (in your case, trailer) to be up to 45 feet long.
So you are fine. Also if you're just passing through via Interstates you have even less to worry about even if you were longer than 45. I run to FL from NJ and I'm 65' combined and never had an issue.
See below. Here's the .pdf link if you want to download it and read it.
http://connect.ncdot.gov/business/tr...20Vehicles.pdf

§ 20-116. Size of vehicles and loads.
(d) Maximum Length. – The following maximum lengths apply to vehicles. A truck-tractor and semitrailer shall be regarded as two vehicles for the purpose of determining lawful length and license taxes.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a single vehicle having two or more
axles shall not exceed 40 feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(2) Trucks transporting unprocessed cotton from farm to gin, or unprocessed sage from farm to market shall not exceed 50 feet in length overall of dimensions inclusive of front and rear bumpers.
(3) Recreational vehicles shall not exceed 45 feet in length overall, excluding bumpers and mirrors.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #3

Thanks. Definfetely never considered being to long for going through a state.
Shumate3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing