Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

Stinky Time Procedures

Okay, we all have different ways to take care of business at the dump station. I just though of something that I do that may seem weird to others.

We've all seen folk use one hose for everything...fill the tank and flush the tank. We've seen folk store all hoses in one location, etc.

I actually spray everything as I go with Clorox Anywhere. Before entering the coach I spray the bottom of my shoes with it too. I've seen people look at me like I'm weird.

So you put gloves on so that you don't get the stuff on your hands. What about the bottom of your shoes. You are stepping on all sorts of stuff at the dump station and I've never seen anyone remove their shoes. That means that you are taking all that stuff inside the coach.

Am I the only weird one?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't have that problem as we always camp with full hookups and dump before we go home.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
Okay, we all have different ways to take care of business at the dump station. I just though of something that I do that may seem weird to others.

We've all seen folk use one hose for everything...fill the tank and flush the tank. We've seen folk store all hoses in one location, etc.

I actually spray everything as I go with Clorox Anywhere. Before entering the coach I spray the bottom of my shoes with it too. I've seen people look at me like I'm weird.

So you put gloves on so that you don't get the stuff on your hands. What about the bottom of your shoes. You are stepping on all sorts of stuff at the dump station and I've never seen anyone remove their shoes. That means that you are taking all that stuff inside the coach.

Am I the only weird one?
I'd rather track poo water across my carpet than bleach. I mean... I can always clean the carpet, but bleached out footprints are another story.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

For myself I put on a hazmat suit, sure don't want that stuff on me
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I'd rather track poo water across my carpet than bleach. I mean... I can always clean the carpet, but bleached out footprints are another story.

Tim
Nobody said anything about bleach.

We have a couple of rug rats and can't imagine having hundreds of peoples poo on our floors.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

Got to be some shoe covers that would work for that. Or you could always keep a pair of rain boots in your storage. But I see your concern as a valid one. I don't want that to be tracked in either.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

Don't understand all the hazmat suits, bleach wipes, etc. All of our stuff is clean on the outside and I don't stick my gloved hands inside of any hose or fitting and sure don't walk in it. Using full hook ups eliminates dump stations also. Treat it just as I do fueling the truck. When finished, I wash my hands and go on about my business.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin View Post
For myself I put on a hazmat suit,

Uhhhh, is there something else you might want to tell us........since you carry a hazmat suit in your RV.

I seem to recall this same thing happening in Breaking Bad?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Kevin View Post
For myself I put on a hazmat suit, sure don't want that stuff on me
I saw this guy in front of me with nothing but bare hands and an old leaky stinky slinky. Shite everywhere literally. Anything his hands touched had hundreds of people's poo on it...door handles, etc. I think most of his waste was left on the concrete pad than down the drain. He didn't even bother to hose it off. Made me want to toss my sneakers after having to walk all over that stuff.

We are not germaphobes by any means, but damn!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT View Post
Got to be some shoe covers that would work for that. Or you could always keep a pair of rain boots in your storage. But I see your concern as a valid one. I don't want that to be tracked in either.
That's what I was thinking too...some slip on covers that you can toss along with the gloves.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't understand all the hazmat suits, bleach wipes, etc. All of our stuff is clean on the outside and I don't stick my gloved hands inside of any hose or fitting and sure don't walk in it. Using full hook ups eliminates dump stations also. Treat it just as I do fueling the truck. When finished, I wash my hands and go on about my business.
Yes OldCoot, we understand that you are blessed with full hook-ups. I think it's obvious we are not talking about that.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:

Quote:
Nobody said anything about bleach.

We have a couple of rug rats and can't imagine having hundreds of peoples poo on our floors.
Yes you did.

If it's swimming in someone else's mess then I'll simply go elsewhere, there's many places to dump if you seek them out. But in general most folks don't lose more than a drop or two then they rinse it away, or I'll rinse it away for them. A germ of wisdom will go a long way towards keeping yourself safe without going overboard, no pun intended.

I'm convinced that germophobia is why folks are getting sicker, easier, and more often. Our immune systems aren't used to being worked at all anymore what with all the germ free going on. When I got chicken pox 30 years ago a friend of my mom brought her son over to play so he could catch it and get it over with. Now that would be considered child abuse.

Am I saying jump in barehanded and fingerpaint with it? No. Am I going to don all sorts of PPE (Personal protection equipment) before even approaching the scene bleach bottle in hand? No.

Do what works for you and let nobody judge you, either way you do it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

SKnight, was just gonna say pretty close to what you said. I go about and wash my hands when needed, haven't been sick in 10 yrs, wife has wipes, disinfectant stuff and what not. She gets sick 3 to 4 times a year. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. Lol as far as trekking stuff around I will say I wear gloves and an old pair of dead sneakers that I only wear at the dump.

kids think tt stands for tan turd.
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Uhhhh, is there something else you might want to tell us........since you carry a hazmat suit in your RV.

I seem to recall this same thing happening in Breaking Bad?
There is the slight possibility that he derives his power from a small on-board nuclear reactor. Very innovative!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes OldCoot, we understand that you are blessed with full hook-ups. I think it's obvious we are not talking about that.
Never had a problem when we weren't blessed with full hook ups which has only been the last 8 years of the last 53+. If the dump station had debris around it, we hosed it down before dumping. A pair of gloves is about all you need.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #16

Hip waders, veterinary gloves and a gas mask.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #17

For what it's worth, I am always suspect of the general area around the sewer hookup at a full connection site as well. Mistakes happen there too. I make sure to spray my soles with a little Clorox cleaner immediately.

Ironically, I followed my best process successfully the other day, no issues and then turned around and stepped in fresh goose poo along a nearby creek.

One more reason I go nearly all summer (and most of spring and fall) in sandals. They wash up really easily.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Mod free 5er

Time for someone to design and build a remote controlled dump system!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Time for someone to design and build a remote controlled dump system!
Yeah, the "Dumper-pumper junker."
Old 06-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
Yes you did.

If it's swimming in someone else's mess then I'll simply go elsewhere, there's many places to dump if you seek them out. But in general most folks don't lose more than a drop or two then they rinse it away, or I'll rinse it away for them. A germ of wisdom will go a long way towards keeping yourself safe without going overboard, no pun intended.

I'm convinced that germophobia is why folks are getting sicker, easier, and more often. Our immune systems aren't used to being worked at all anymore what with all the germ free going on. When I got chicken pox 30 years ago a friend of my mom brought her son over to play so he could catch it and get it over with. Now that would be considered child abuse.

Am I saying jump in barehanded and fingerpaint with it? No. Am I going to don all sorts of PPE (Personal protection equipment) before even approaching the scene bleach bottle in hand? No.

Do what works for you and let nobody judge you, either way you do it.
Have you used Clorox Anywhere? It does not stain clothes or carpets like bleach.