Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Tailgater satellite dishes.

We have a small DirecTV portable dish that we try to use. Sometimes we are successful and sometime not. Thinking about one of those auto satellite finders like the Tailgater. Any thoughts pros cons ? Are they really as easy to use as advertised?
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

Absolutely.

I just sit my Tailgater out, ensuring that there is an unobstructed view to the south, and it does the rest, while I finish the set-up.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
RKR

The DW and were just discussing this during lunch. We have Direct Tv at the house and don't want to change to Dish.
Does anybody on here use Direct TV with one of those self adjusting dishes ? How are the channels ?
I read somewhere that with that type of set up that only 1 or 2 if the Direct TV satellites can be reached which limits your channels. It would be great to get some feedback from somebody actually using this set up with Direct TV.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

I have a tailgater dish, it's easy to set up, but at times it take two-three times downloading the signal before it will deliver all the channels. You must keep it updated or u will b calling dish net wok to give it a kick in the butt.
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Think there are 2 other type that can be used with directv . For anyone who has one of these how easy are they to set up? We will only have it hooked up to one TV since we have just one receiver. My question is...you say u must have an unobstructed southern view. How so u know? Must u have one of those view finder gizmos ?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #6

I too am interested in feedback.

I have Direct at home, but with my new camper we have three TVs. How does that work?

Plus I think u can't get HDTV..
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Long Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

Wow. Lots of members here looking for the same thing.

Truth is, DirecTV makes it hard to get HDTV. With Dish, it's easy. If you have to have DirecTV, HDTV, and an automatic solution, you're going to get to blow $1200+. Ouch!

Wingard makes a couple of automated options for Direct standard-def. Max of two tuners (channels).

If you want Direct HD or more than two channels (and don't want to blow big money), you have to buy a dish on a tripod. They're way cheaper than any of the automated solutions. They also make it possible to use existing cables in your RV without adding more wires (eg, drilling holes).

If you're having a hard time aligning your own dish, you don't have the right tools.

First requirement is an "Augmented Reality" smartphone app. This allows you to see where the satellites are thru you camera lens. With this, you can see when you have a clear view. If there's lots of trees where you camp, you HAVE to have this.

Secondly, for DirecTV standard-def or Dish, you need a Satellite Signal meter. (These don't work on Direct HD, you have to use the receiver meter.)

With these tools, it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to align your Sat dish.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
RKR

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a much better idea now of what's involved.
Barry , it sure seems like I would be better off getting Dish for the 5vr. We are only part timers and I read on a different thread that Dish had a pay as you go plan. Is this what you have ?
I really just wanted it to watch a little FOX News and maybe a ball game from time to to time.
Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep plugin away at this.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

I use the tripod mounted Direct TV slimline HD dish from Satpro. You can find them on line. I take the receiver from home, get the rough azimuth and tilt from the receiver by inputting the local zip code, or get them from Direct TVs website. The Satpro signal meter allows for fine tuning of the satellites and set up does not take but a few minutes. I get all of the channels I normally get at home. The entire systems is less than $ 200.00 delivered.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

I had directv all year when we camped. I used the anser satellite from winegard. It works great. We never had a problem all year. Just any satellite you need a clear view for the satellite to work. All you have to do with it is set the elevation and it does the rest. It was the same price as the tailgater. Nice thing about it is it can also work for dish. We used the sat connection on our camper. We did not new cables in the camper. It is true with directv you don't get any local channels and no HD. I have not used it for dish yet. I don't know what channels you get but they are HD. I will find out this year.
240sundeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I use the tripod mounted Direct TV slimline HD dish from Satpro. You can find them on line. I take the receiver from home, get the rough azimuth and tilt from the receiver by inputting the local zip code, or get them from Direct TVs website. The Satpro signal meter allows for fine tuning of the satellites and set up does not take but a few minutes. I get all of the channels I normally get at home. The entire systems is less than $ 200.00 delivered.
This is what I originally had in mind. I already have a spare receiver and the DTV people said all I had to do is activate it and get a dish for it.
Thanks for the info
Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
RKR

I think we'll give the Direct TV a shot. Theoretically I should be able to use my spare receiver and just be charged for an additional room per Direct TV. This seems to be the most economical way for me to give this a go. I found this on Amazon Not concerned about the HD stuff. Would just be nice to catch a bit of news and sports once in awhile.

Amazon.com: DIRECTV HD SL5 Satellite Kit for Camping Rving or Tailgating With SWM Dish: Electronics
Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #13

Look on Craig's List or ask a local installer if they have an old dish they will give you (or sell you cheap). I think you can do a lot better than that on the price.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

We ordered our tripod set up on line around 150. Use a receiver from the house. But I tell you it is VERY frustrating trying to set it up. I have the dish pointer phone app to help. The tripod has to be perfectly level. I think our main problem is trying to get a clear line of vision to the sky while camping. That's why I was wondering if those Vqubes or tailgater were as easy as they addvertised.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Look on Craig's List or ask a local installer if they have an old dish they will give you (or sell you cheap). I think you can do a lot better than that on the price.
I just remembered that I left the old dish on the roof of my house when they installed the new one. I know a DTV tech that works on the side. He should be able to tell me if the old dish will work or not.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevinseve View Post
We ordered our tripod set up on line around 150. Use a receiver from the house. But I tell you it is VERY frustrating trying to set it up. I have the dish pointer phone app to help. The tripod has to be perfectly level. I think our main problem is trying to get a clear line of vision to the sky while camping. That's why I was wondering if those Vqubes or tailgater were as easy as they addvertised.
Yes, they are that easy. If they can't see the satellites, they won't work. Note that you can't use VuQube with SWM receivers.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #17

We have a Carryout by Winegard that is an automatic satellite finder. It works with either Dish or Direct. You just set the toggle switch to whichever service you use. We set it out and by the time we are finished plugging in, etc., the satellite is found.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Sbryant....You say you say it out. Don't you have to have a clear line of site to the south ?
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
We have a Carryout by Winegard that is an automatic satellite finder. It works with either Dish or Direct. You just set the toggle switch to whichever service you use. We set it out and by the time we are finished plugging in, etc., the satellite is found.
We have the same system on Dish. You DO have to have a clear shot of the southern sky, which we've found is hard to do if you like camping anyplace with trees. When it does work it's great! We get HD, and if we are within 300 miles or so of home we get our local stations as well. The set up is easy; as soon as you connect power to the Winegard it starts adjusting itself. I do have the app to check the satellites positions, highly recommended, as is a compass app. I run the coax from the dish to the sat connection on the outside of the TT, then connect the sat output under the TV to the Dish box, and the box to the TV via a HDMI cable.
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #20

Yes, you always have to have a clear line of sight which is why we use the portable unit instead of a mounted satellite on the roof. MS has so many trees. We use the app Dish for my RV to help and other than that we've camped at our local campgrounds so many times we know which sites are good for satellite and which are not.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote