Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Temporary Dinnette

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how they have upgraded an existing dinnette configuration. I am not completely satisfied with the VIBE 6504 dinnette arrangement - 2 ft x 5 ft table top sits on 2 metal pedastals. It is a bit wobbly and when set up crowds the aisle in the kitchen space. It is a bit of an effort to remove the heavy top when (and if not in use there remains 2 round receiver braces in the floor). I was thinking of removing the braces in the floor in favor of a more portable arrangement (ie: smaller temporary TV tables). Has anyone played around with a dinnette that can post some ideas or photos ??
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
pdchristensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Hi there. My wife and I bought our 6504 about a month ago too. We have elected to not use the big bulky heavy table either. I'm thinking we will remove the floor brackets and use a light folding table instead. Hope you are enjoying your VIBE. We love our so far. We are new to the TT world and this trailer is our first. Towing it with our Toyota Highlander. 3 trips under our belt so far. Southern Arizona, Mexico and Central AZ.
Kevin1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

thanks for the reply, good to know others that have a 6504, hope you enjoy it. I ended up install some very light weight 24 inch round marine tables with cup holders. See the link from another thread on this same discussion. I installed 2 of them. The result looks great, and very easy to remove.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oof-30685.html

We love our trailer. The only concern we had was the very limited cargo carry capacity, especially in light of the fact it had such a huge cargo hold in the rear under the master bed. The factory delivered CCC was only 200 lbs. Did not leave a lot of room for loading any gear. We decided to upgrade the axle, hubs, rims & tires to give us a litte more safety margin.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the table advise! I think it would be helpful to change out the table. It would be nice to free up the extra weight from that table and make more room too.
We didn't expect that we would need to replace the axle, wheels and tires.
It's not something you think about when buying your first first trailer regardless of how thorough you think you are. Our biggest concern was making sure we didn't buy a trailer that our Highlander could handle in Gross Weight. Our Highlander had the 5000lb tow package but that was actually 5000lb max driving no faster than 45 miles per hour.
Should we be concerned about changing out the axle ect... like you did?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Replacing Axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1969 View Post
Should we be concerned about changing out the axle ect... like you did?

I guess it really depends on what the factory dry weight of your unit is ?
It also depends on your comfort level with some of the numbers.

When we ordered our trailer, I expected it to come in at the manufacturer specifications of 3200 lbs and 500 lb cargo carrying capacity. When I picked up the unit the actual unit dry weight was 3450 lbs & Cargo Carrying Capacity just over 200 lbs. I actually took my unit to a scale and weighed in at over 3500 lbs with no personal cargo.

The tongue weight of the trailer is about 300 lbs so in the end the axles/hubs/rims & tires were bearing about 3200 lbs of weight with "no cargo" (ie: no dishes, no clothing, no gear, empty fridge, & empty cargo hold, empty holding tanks etc).

The GAWR (axle weight rating) for the torsion axle supplied by the factory is 3500 lbs. I think the hubs were rated at 1800 lbs each as were the rims & tires. I did not like the way the numbers added up for margin of safety on a "single" axle trailer. Maybe with a dual axle I would have been comfortable knowing that there was some redundancy in the system.

Just had visions of a scenario of the "tail" wagging the "dog" situation if something catastrophic happened on the highway. I am also carrying precious cargo of my family in the tow vehicle .

Bouncing down some of the rough roads and highway did not seem like something I could do without wondering how much tolerance there was for the close tolerances. It may have been okay, I don,t know. In the end it was my fault for not doing a little more research on the GAWR prior to purchase. (I should have known to look closer at the GVWR of the trailer and that would have tipped me off that the axle/hubs/rims/tires were under rated).

I replaced the whole system with 6000 lb Dexter Torsion Axle, 2500 lbs hubs & Rims & Tires.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time! Happy camping my new friend!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1969 View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback! I really appreciate you taking the time! Happy camping my new friend!
Great to hook up with a fellow VIBE 6504 unit owner. Not many of us on the forum yet. Hope we can be helpful to each other in dealing with any future issues or tips & tricks on the unit. Do you have kids ? Just wondering why you opted for the "slide out bunk" model. We have a a 9 year old and a 4 year old. (they love the "picture window" bunks). One thing to consider if you plan on utilizing the slide out bunks on yours is to consider employing a couple of "slide out" stabilizers when you are set up.

We noticed the slide does extend out quite a bit and when the kids use the bunks the trailer tends to "rock" a bit when they move around in the beds. I purchased 2 stabilizers to support the slide after it is extended. I think it will also minimize the strain on the rail systems supporting the unit.

My only concern with doing this was that in the event there was a problem with the tires losing air or slighlty settling that the slide would be inadvertently taking on the load of the trailer so I also purchased a couple of inexpensive scissor jacks that I install as temporary jack stands under the axle of the trailer where it meets the frame. This set up results in a very stable trailer footprint.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

Hi there PDC!
Thanks for your note. We actually chose our Vibe because of the weight advantage and the 6504 just seemed the most comfortable. we only have a couple 25 pups and no kids so they cill on the bottom bunch and we stage clothes on the top.
We have been really happy so far with the stability of the trailer although at night, it does seem to move for no reason when we are trying to sleep.
We might consider extra jacks but I'm becoming more curious if I should upgrade our axle to a 5000lb model instead of the factory 3500lb axle. Did you upgrade yours?

We have already enjoyed 5 nights out on 3 trips in the last month.
Planning a trip back down on the beach in Mexico for the Thanksgiving weekend.
Look forward to conversing with you in the future!!
Kindest Regards!!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #9

Correction: we have a couple 25 pound pups! LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

[QUOTE=Kevin1969;267285]Hi there PDC!
but I'm becoming more curious if I should upgrade our axle to a 5000lb model instead of the factory 3500lb axle. Did you upgrade yours?

I had a local trailer manufacturer complete the axle upgrade (6000 lb) on my unit.
I also upgraded tires & rims. (with labor came out to just over $2,000).
I probably went over-kill on the 6000 lb rating.

I would be curious to know what the "delivered" specifications on your unit were ? (ie: how far away from the factory specs is your trailer Dry Weight, GVWR and Cargo Carrying Capacity). There should be a label on the unit giving the specs. I know the GAWR (Axle weight rating) on these units is only 3500 lbs.

Depending on your numbers you may be okay with what you have.
I guess I am a little more anal about having a little more flexibility in loading a few extra items in the trailer and not having to fret about exceeding the GAWR.

If you have time let me know what weight numbers your trailer came out of the factory with.
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan
Old 10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #11

PDC, I knew you replaced the Axle. This forum format is really messing with me. I was thinking you were a new vibe owner I hadn't talked to yet and then I noticed we have been chatting about the table all along.
I'm a forum newbie.
I'll see if I can remember to take a pic of the weight door tag and attach it to a post reply to you tomorrow.
Kindest regards to you and yours PDC!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #12

Don't forget when you calcuate the weight on a trailer The manufacturers empty weight is usually before options are added. My PUMA stated from the mauufacturer empty was 9200 lbs, but was actually closer to 9800lbs with options. Actual weight on a scale loaded to go camping is most important. The gross weight is more important to you. Also the weight on the axle is not the total weight of the trailer. Several hundred pounds are on the hitch. Again my trailer has two 6000 lb axles gross is over 14,000 but I am not over weight on the axles as 3000 lbs are on the hitch (in my case pin, 5th wheel). Good Luck
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Winnipeg,Manitoba-Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Don't forget when you calcuate the weight on a trailer The manufacturers empty weight is usually before options are added. My PUMA stated from the mauufacturer empty was 9200 lbs, but was actually closer to 9800lbs with options. Actual weight on a scale loaded to go camping is most important. The gross weight is more important to you. Also the weight on the axle is not the total weight of the trailer. Several hundred pounds are on the hitch. Again my trailer has two 6000 lb axles gross is over 14,000 but I am not over weight on the axles as 3000 lbs are on the hitch (in my case pin, 5th wheel). Good Luck
You are correct, Oaklevel however in my case the VIBE 6504 GVWR is at 3795 lbs. (Dry Weight of delivered trailer was 3450 lbs, ---- I actually weighed it at 3500 lbs empty). Even with minimal cargo I am weighing in at close to 3800 lbs. Tongue weight just over 300 lbs, which puts me at about 3500 lbs on a 3500 lb rated axle. (too close to the rating for me).
Paul, Darcie, Li & Yan