Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #1

The Scoop: How to backup Trailer

For those that have issues backing up your RV into a spot, this will make things easier. The trick is to drive into the spot and out of the spot and then turn to drive down the road. This places the RV at the idea angle to back into the spot. Be sure to survey the spot for obstacles. After you master this trick, you will be able to back into any spot on the first attempt and not play the back and forth game.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #2

Amazing!!!!!!!

It's all well and good if you have ENOUGH ROOM to drive in and out and down the big nice wide road. Problem is a lot of rv parks, campgrounds, state federal park interior roads aren't BIG or WIDE enough to accommodate the bigger TT and fifth wheels to be able to back in using this method.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

I agree. I get giddy when the site directly across the road from mine is still empty so I can drive TV first into that one, then back right across the road into mine. Those are special moments. But in reality, the site directly across from mine seems to always have a 38ft 5'er in it, with most of the TV sticking out right up to the road so there is no using that site during my backing in. I have to add the other guys TV into my backing equation so as not to 'cross swords' so to speak with our TV hoods smashing together.

lickem66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

I guess I don't understand the procedure. If you drive into the spot wouldn't you have to back out? If so you might just as well back in in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ncgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncgrandma View Post
I guess I don't understand the procedure. If you drive into the spot wouldn't you have to back out? If so you might just as well back in in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Think of it as making an S. You nose through the top of your site, as your truck is coming out the top of your site you cut to the top of the opposite side of the road and then back down to the same side of the road. The idea is to help set the back of the trailer to head into the site. I personally have had better luck with a tt pulling up along the same side of the road as I want to back into. With the fiver I hear the scoop works better but I haven't been able to work the dynamics out yet.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #6

I was camping this summer and my neighbor was commenting as we watched a guy pull his camper into a spot then pull out ad went around the park and back again only to pull in and not like it again. The whole time he never once tried to back up and maneuver his trailer around to get it the way he wanted it . Well on the 4th time he finally gave up because he came around again and it was in the same spot as all the prior times. In order to pull into this site he had to drive through 2 sites. Have seen this many times and wonder what these people will do when they have to back up. Will probably sit there till who ever is blocking them moves.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I was camping this summer and my neighbor was commenting as we watched a guy pull his camper into a spot then pull out ad went around the park and back again only to pull in and not like it again. The whole time he never once tried to back up and maneuver his trailer around to get it the way he wanted it . Well on the 4th time he finally gave up because he came around again and it was in the same spot as all the prior times. In order to pull into this site he had to drive through 2 sites. Have seen this many times and wonder what these people will do when they have to back up. Will probably sit there till who ever is blocking them moves.
This is exactly why I practice backing with my rigs in an empty parking lot until I get the hang of it. I was able to put my tt anywhere I needed to and could maneuver it around tight spots. I even have had people comment there was no way they could have gotten it in there. This is why being bad at backing my fiver kills me so. Oh well it will come with practice.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #8

My Dad taught me the hard way on everything, he told me to get into a semi one day and go hook it up. At that point I hadn't even driven a standard shift, by the end of the day I could move the truck hook the trailer and move the trailer from one dock to another. He believed learning by doing was the best way of learning anything . He also trusted me to figure it out and that confidence in me helped. As long as you have confidence in yourself and don't give up anyone can do it. He taught me how to swim the same way threw me in and said you'll sink or swim only you can decide.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 AM   #9

I used to think I could back my 35' TT anywhere and for the most part I could. Now I have a 41.5' 5th wheel except it has 3 axles and takes forever for the thing to react to the steering. Practice makes perfect and you would think with all the land I have I would practice backing the thing up. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
For those that have issues backing up your RV into a spot, this will make things easier. The trick is to drive into the spot and out of the spot and then turn to drive down the road. This places the RV at the idea angle to back into the spot. Be sure to survey the spot for obstacles. After you master this trick, you will be able to back into any spot on the first attempt and not play the back and forth game.

I've seen this video and have actually found it helpful (I have a small 20ft tt) It's a hilarious "teaching tool" ...at least it was for me.
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Youroo you should have video the 36' sabre at amana.............[emoji85]

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #12

Biggest problem with backing in to any spot is over thinking the situation. Well that and "cranial gas".

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #13

Always felt the shorter the trailer the harder it was to back up. Mind you the trailer I have is 30' but backing it straight is easy, turning is another thing you almost have to get the truck to jackknife before the trailer will turn. I live on a highway and my driveway has a 6' ditch on both sides at that point its 12' wide. All this makes for an interesting time getting it where I have it in my yard for the winter.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #14

Saw the "Scoop" video some time ago and did give it a try. It works well if you have the room to make the maneuver. If not then sometimes it's just a "3-point" backing exercise and you just have to take your time. As another poster said, sometimes the older forest service campgrounds are a bit tight. We've found a couple that we just didn't want the headache of fighting the situation and left it open for a tent camper. Here's a pic of the tightest spot we've stayed in so far
The 5'er next to us (who was so close we couldn't extend our awning) had just pulled out otherwise you couldn't even see the old Wildwood. Made for real shady spot though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1764.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	64837  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #15

This is great, I was basically doing the scoop and didn't know it. I do find it much easier using this method.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #16

I used this method and found it to work very well. I have a 2014 23ikss Shamrock. Thanks for the tip!!
ds2357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Another rat in the race

I backed up trailers in my fathers yard for years before I had a lic. but I still make my fare share of mistakes.

My father in law got the sink or swim approach the military is famous for, at 18 he joined the Air force and drove missiles in Montana. He didn't even have a drivers Lic. when they put him on an icy runway to practice with two trailers and said today you go'll to bed a trucker or die tryin'. After the air force he drove truck for Knudsen dairy his job was baker to vegas loaded, and vegas to baker unloaded. He said a full trailer of milk stuffed to the brim is heavier than you think the brakes went out more times than he could count in the years he did it.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #18

A lot of people struggle trying to figure out which way to turn the steering wheel when backing up. A simple trick is to place you hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, then move you hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. It is also helpful to have a spotter that you trust. Wife and I have enough practice now - she always stands where she can see me or my face in the mirror, and she uses simple arm motions to indicate the direction the trailer needs to go.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #19

As it has been mentioned before....walkies or cell on hands-free works very well for us. Only learning curve was hearing nothing while backing. I asked to please be talking a lot...like keep coming, getting close, turn the other way etc... Works for us and LOTS less cussing....not that I would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #20

It's tough to find enough room to do 'the swoop' at alot of the state parks i go to...but I may give it a try at my storage facility. I think maneuvering a trailer takes practice. I moved easily from and suv and 25footer to my dually and 41 ft 5'er with out an problem. I must admit even I was surprised at how quickly I adapted.

The one tip I always remember is to focus on the line of the wheels, and where you want them to go, not the back of the trailer. It is easier and works very well when dealing with the drivers side as you can turn and look exactly where you want the tires to go. I'm still perfecting the parking side as I get worried about hitting the services (I'm usually doing it on my own...), but even so I pretty much only have to get out and look 1 time.

...and ya gotta be ok with an audience...just imagine everyone is watching all the time!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47,[B]2017:41
2018: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=3, Apr=2, May=7, June=5, July=15, Aug=1,Sept=2,
Running Total:232
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer