Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM   #41

Brochure also didn't list heat strip as standard or an option. But who knows?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:37 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Brochure also didn't list heat strip as standard or an option. But who knows?
Let me reword this. As an electrician, I have seen miswired thermostats in a residential A/C system allowing the heat strip and the A/C compresser to both run at the same time. I'm lifetime in Florida. We don't USUALLY do not use furnaces. We USUALLY use straight cool systems with Air Handlers and 10 to 15 KW Heat Strips or Heat Pump systems and Air Handlers with 5 to 10 KW back up heat strips. The OP can be correct in his statement that the A/C and his furnace in his trailer are both running at the same time. Is that better?
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 AM   #43
Camper

I am surprised and embarrassed at the attacks on the new guy who is asking for help. With in the first page of replies he was already being told how he has no issues with his unit and he just has to listen to the psychics here who can troubleshoot his trailer from a far far away land. Nice way to welcome someone to OUR community, and OUR includes the OP.

Jeez.

To the OP, you indicate you tried all the suggestions and cold air is still coming out of the ceiling vents. Well, in that case I would suggest you get an RV tech or your dealer to ensure there is no issue. If you say there is cold, like A/C cold, air coming from the vents when the heat is on then I have no choice but to believe you. The tech who checks out your trailer should be familiar with the functions of the unit and can confirm if it is functioning as intended or not.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:39 AM   #44

Kill the breaker to the A/C. The heat will still run as that is on a separate 12 volt circuit.

I had the same issue and after resetting the thermostat and setting fan to auto system ran perfect. I do have to reset my thermostat at least once a year for some reason.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
Kill the breaker to the A/C. The heat will still run as that is on a separate 12 volt circuit.

I had the same issue and after resetting the thermostat and setting fan to auto system ran perfect. I do have to reset my thermostat at least once a year for some reason.

Wow...that's sounds like an easy check.

Will do later on and let you know!

Appreciate the help!

R
RSW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I am surprised and embarrassed at the attacks on the new guy who is asking for help. With in the first page of replies he was already being told how he has no issues with his unit and he just has to listen to the psychics here who can troubleshoot his trailer from a far far away land. Nice way to welcome someone to OUR community, and OUR includes the OP.

Jeez.

To the OP, you indicate you tried all the suggestions and cold air is still coming out of the ceiling vents. Well, in that case I would suggest you get an RV tech or your dealer to ensure there is no issue. If you say there is cold, like A/C cold, air coming from the vents when the heat is on then I have no choice but to believe you. The tech who checks out your trailer should be familiar with the functions of the unit and can confirm if it is functioning as intended or not.
:trin k39:
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #47

Thermostat/Furnace - New Guy

Maybe it is part of a new Arctic package? Ice could air at all times?[emoji23] buh bump ding. I’ll see my self out
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter368rlbhk View Post
Maybe it is part of a new Arctic package? Ice could air at all times?[emoji23] buh bump ding. I’ll see my self out
Now that's funny...

(Lounge Lizard voice) "Thank You...thank you very much...I'll be playing here all week...try the veal..."

Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #49
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I would not rule out a miswired t-stat. Op seems pretty adamant that the A/C is running. As an electrician, I have in fact found A/C running with the heat strip on. High dollar electric bills. So yes, the OP may know what he is talking about.
I wouldn't rule out anything and I lead off with that statement in my first reply to this thread.

It's the OP's seemingly indifferent attitude on helpful posts and subsequent follow up questions that has me wondering if we'll ever know the real issue/non-issue.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #50

Killing the AC breaker will stop the AC fan (and compressor, if it is indeed running). But that won't tell you the cause. It will only stop the symptom.

It still won't tell you if the compressor is actually running in addition to the fan, or if it's only the fan.

So you still won't have helped him solve the problem, you've only given him a "work-around."

To the folks taking us all to task, I would point out that the OP still hasn't told us what make/model of thermostat he has. He still hasn't told us make/model of his AC and furnace. He really hasn't given us very much info at all, other than the furnace and AC seem to be running together, which sounds like classic thermostat fan setting, and that he's 'done what we suggested,' which doesn't really tell us EXACTLY what he's done or how he did it.

There needs to be a TWO-WAY flow of communication.

If he really thinks the compressor is running, I would suggest he go on the roof, remove the AC cover and put a stethoscope (a piece of rubber tubing will also work) on the compressor and confirm that it is actually running. I for one am still skeptical.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #51
Camper

Quote:
That's funny. Gave me a good chuckle. LOL

Old 03-15-2018, 12:38 PM   #52
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
If he really thinks the compressor is running, I would suggest he go on the roof, remove the AC cover and put a stethoscope (a piece of rubber tubing will also work) on the compressor and confirm that it is actually running. I for one am still skeptical.
Probably could just check how many watts are being drawn on the power supply.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If the OP can check the current draw it might confirm weather or not the compressor is running. Another benefit to having an EMS.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #54

Quote:
I can tell with my ears, no need to climb on the roof or check how many amps are being drawn. And yes, I have a ducted A/C with a thermostat.

It's clear as day to me when only the fan is running vs the fan and compressor, especially when initially turning on. Compressor start-up has a very distinct noise.

To the OP, I would also try turning the fan on manually instead of by setting a temperature. See if it sounds the same and if the air blowing out of the vents feels like it's the same temperature as before.

Then actually turn the A/C on and see if it sounds and feels different than just the fan. Also, if it's a wiring fault I would expect the A/C to turn the furnace on as well. Or for the A/C to NOT turn on at all if wired up to the furnace lead by mistake, in which case the thermostat will be sending power to a connector that has nothing connected.

Basically, I would try the various modes and manual operations and make note of what each one does to try and deduce what is really happening.

Good luck and keep us posted with details!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #55

Quote:

Thanks, a friend who is a master HVAC tech is going to look at it today and do just that (he mentioned that very thing). He's going to bring his gauges and stuff.

Appreciate the help!

R
Old 03-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #56

Here is a nice little dometic furnace/ac thermostat Youtube video. It may or may not help you, but some good information.

https://youtu.be/eAIaaMURYj0

Best of luck, hope your hvac guy can get it fixed up for you.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:16 AM   #57
Camper

Quote:
Here is a nice little dometic furnace/ac thermostat Youtube video. It may or may not help you, but some good information.

That is a pretty good straight forward explanation on how to use that thermostat. I have the same one in my trailer and hate it.

The issue is there are 2 separate forced hot air systems working off a single thermostat. Separate thermostats would solve most of the problems. Or somehow indicate that the high/low fans speed setting is for the A/C fan. Trying to make the system convenient has made it more complicated and less convenient.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #58
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Also see this Youtube video.

He specifically mentions the AC fan running while using the furnace. The operators instructions from Dometic for this thermostat is not very helpful.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #59

I've read all this......and maybe I missed it. If so, just tell me.

But repeatedly, OP says both units are running.......or at least he's saying the EFFECT of both units is being felt.

But not once that I can find has he said "Heat IS coming out of the floor at the same time cold air is coming out of the CEILING". Maybe that's obvious to him, but that's my question. Is that what his happening?

If so, I believe it's possible, regardless of what many here have said. My furnace and my a/c are entirely different units. The Thermostat merely sends On/Off signals to them under certain conditions. There's no question both COULD come on simultaneously. Incorrectly yes. But possible.

When I got to this Snowbirding site end of December, my furnace came on for the first time ever. And it had all kinds of weird situations. I finally cut the power to it, turned off power to the trailer, and restarted things........twice I had to do that.....and it finally began working correctly.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM   #60

I am SO glad the OP is having this problem. Last summer I replaced my analog thermostat with a dometic digital one which included replacing the control box up in the ac unit. It worked great all summer. Last fall when it got cool I turned the furnace on and guess what? The ac fan and the furnace both came on! I figured I must have wired something wrong. I turned the ac circuit breaker off to stop the ac fan and figured I'd have to recheck everything this spring when I get it out of storage. Thanks again to this forum I now know I need to initialize the thermostat. Hopefully that's all I need to do.

Tags
furnace, thermostat