Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Things you overlooked/missed/forgot when doing a PDI/walkthrough?

I am getting ready to take delivery on a trailer and I am curious what others have overlooked/missed/forgot when after doing a PDI or walkthrough and then getting home or going on the first camping trip. I have been looking at PDI checklists and just sold my motorhome so I do have some experience.

Thanks for any stories or ideas.
Mark
lvnthenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Great question! I had a really good pdi but wished I hadn't gone through it alone. Take good notes and pictures of anything new to you.

Just thought of something - wished I knew to have spare fuses. The electric tongue jack blew a fuse before I got it home.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Site Team

We get panicky folks here every once in a while--
help! I can't get my slide (in or out)
help! I don't have any hot water
These 2 are fairly common.

PDI make sure you know where the main battery fuse is located
AND make sure you know where any slide fuses/breakers are located
AND how to manually crank a slide in an emergency.
You need to know where your water pump is and where your
water heater bypass valves are located.

On some trailers you actually have to remove screws in a panel to
get to this stuff IF that's the case you need to know where
to start.

My nightmare would be out in the boonies wanting to go home and
can't get the slide to go in

Also, we get folks who go camping the first time and can't get
some appliance or other to work at all.
Or they find water leaks or faucets that don't work or are clogged
with construction debris.

I won't buy a trailer unless the system has been filled with water
and the fridge is on and cold and the water heater is tested on
electric and gas and the furnace and AC and stove and oven
and microwave...... Turn on every faucet and check for decent
flow. Flush the toilet, run everything!! Crank up the antenna
and check the TV and radio DVD player.

Do your day/nite shade move up and down easily or are they
really hard to move??
Open and shut every window. Often one or more will not move
as easily as they should!

You'd be amazed (or maybe disgusted) at how many items on
this short list don't work from the factory!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If this is your first tt/5er, hitch and unhitch. I've seen a lot of first timers who have been confused with the process. This would include chocking wheels and understanding the leveling process. I had one dealer who had a couple fake "campsites" on their lot and part of their PDI was to hitch up and park it on thier "campsite" and go through the entire set up/tear down process.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #5

Missed:

FW Drain. My fault, I asked for an abbreviated PDI since I've owned several campers.

Bubbles in awning fabric. In my defense the bubbles would only show after being in the sun an hour.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Glad to hear you've read through some lists. There's just too much to inspect to not follow a detailed list.

In general, inspect everything with a fine tooth comb.

Use every appliance on both AC and DC where applicable.

Test the water system on both city connection and via the fresh water tank.

Test the water heater on both gas and electric. Same thing with fridge (start the fridge on electric at the beginning to allow it to cool somewhat). When you switch to propane, listen for it it ignite (you might need to be outside to hear this).

Climb up on the roof with a tech and check every seam and seal. Have them touch up where needed.

Have them show you the location of every fuse. I think Terier mentioned this, too. Especially, any hidden inline fuses and resettable breakers. Have them demonstrate how to reset the breaker (it's a tiny button). Buy extra fuses in the right size from them or at a hardware or auto supply store on the way home.

Tell the dealer you intend to take a few hours.

Schedule your pickup in the morning to allow time and so they can fix the inevitable small issues that you find.

Do not sign the acceptance paperwork until you are satisfied. Your greatest power is now because they wish to complete the deal. Now is the time to stand firm.

Finally, have fun! A good PDI should be a great learning experience if this type of camper is new to you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Then go out and buy a multi meter and dedicate it strictly for the camper .
Make sure it's a.c./dc. ( not the group)
And has ohms .

Just my two cents after pdi.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to ask you something. Is this a pull behind or a fifth wheel? If it is a TT, have the dealer show you exactly how to use the weight distribution hitch. They will set it up for your TV/TT combo, but you will want to learn how to adjust it yourself once the TT is loaded.

If its a 5ver, I'm sure there are things you need to know to adjust but I cant help you with that.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

When we took delivery of our 5er we went with two clipboards in hand.
I printed out two each of the floor plan, the specs/options sheet & also took our little Flip video camera.
We walked around asking questions, taking notes & taking pictures/videos.
We then asked for a little time alone with the new unit.
An hour later we compiled one (small) but comprehensive list including a copy of the floor plan with bullets where we felt items needed to be addressed.

We arranged to come back the following Sat after they had a chance to review & address our list.
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

The roof is probably one thing that gets overlooked often and I would recomend taking a good look at it. Check for any large bubbles in the membrane and check to see that all penetrations are properly sealed. I went over my trailer with a fine tooth comb and still found a couple minor issues when I got it home.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
"On the road again"

1) Read through these forums and MAKE A LIST. You're going to be so overwhelmed and excited, you'll forget to ask a lot of what you plan to ask.

2) Take notes (or bring along a micro-recorder and record the PDI).

3) Our PDI guy wasn't the most knowledgeable with the new Columbus models, but he couldn't even really explain how to use the hot water bypass and winterization features.

4) If you ask questions that your PDI person can't answer...ASK THEM TO GET SOMEONE THAT CAN ANSWER THE QUESTION.

5) Our unit has Surround Sound (so did our previous Sandpiper) - and it wasn't working. I had to force the issue to make them set up the Surround Sound correctly before I would accept the unit for delivery.

6) If you have a blackwater flush - make sure it works. Our unit had the check-valve installed backward. It's supposed to prevent backwash from the black-water tank, but it was preventing the clean water from getting in for the "flush".

7) Go back to the forums...

8) Take more notes.

Then...enjoy the experience and accept our best for many years of happy camping!!

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #12

Forgot to run AC Unit on PDI

When we picked up our Sunseeker, it was early November, raining and cool. Needless to say, we did not run the AC unit. In the spring of next year we did use it and found it was very noisy as a section of the copper tubing was banging aginst the outside cover. Had a Dometic repairman bend it out of the way, now very quiet. What may have happened is that they ran this at the factory with the cover off, checked out ok and they shut it down and reinstalled the cover?
Joerossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #13

oh yeah the guy at the dealer was showing me how to use the weight distribution hitch and the handle slipped out of his hand and hit him where it hurts the most. needless to say the poor guy puked his guts out and was off work for a couple weeks he said his family jewels were purple for a couple weeks and swollen the size of softballs.

Getting back to task here I forgot to ask what kind of replacement lamps the lights took. We have a few halogen bulbs and three blew out in a weeks time. I believe they must have installed them with bare hands at the factory.

I also noticed that there is so much going on at the walk through you forget about things and sometimes things get missed. Don't hesitate to call the dealer and ask if you have questions if the dealer is worth his salt he'll be glad to help or answer your questions. Every dealer i ever dealt with was good about this. The dealer I purchased my last trailer from has new owners with little time to devote to individual customers. Needless to say I went elsewhere to purchase my new rig. If they don't have time to help you and answer questions while shopping on the lot don't think they'll do it after your purchase.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #14

I am a seasonal camper and like some other posters said you always seem to find things you missed when going through your pdi a good dealer will take care of them as you find them. My dealer even sent a guy to my campground to repair my punch list with things I found wrong with my rig most were very minor but they all added up and most were quality issues you wouldn't have seen on the lot. Then after you see them they drive you nuts lol. I had misaligned drawers, crooked cabinet doors, Laminate that was damaged while being installed. Also a bathroom sink that the installer used too much plumbers putty and after filling it with water a few times the sink became loose.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #15

My number one suggestion is to schedule your inspection demo at a time "convenient" to you, not the dealer. I picked up my Georgetown MH August 17 after a couple of weeks delay haggling with the dealer over needed repairs before we completed the purchase. My inspection/delivery day was the day before we were scheduled to leave for a long weekend get away for the DW's birthday. That means we had one half of a day to load up a 35ft moho with all of the stuff from our traded in 32ft rig, plus we had family coming over to cook DW a birthday dinner!
I did the PDI on my own, DW could not take off from work. From either this forum or another I printed off a very detailed PDI list. About 15 minutes into the inspection, and liking the young tech who was going over everthing with me, I threw caution and prudence to the wind and decided to chuck the list, ask questions as we go along and prod and poke but essentially saying its "Time to Trust" people. This process still took two and a half hours!. Well, that first trip out the next day was less than fun! Hot water tank did not work, repairs that delayed the purchase by weeks were not complete, after being told by three person Its All Set!, dirty filthy inside rig and out, and the best, when we went to break camp the electric awning would not retract, took 3+ hours to manuelly get it in. So today while I write this, the rig is back at the dealer for the second time since 8/17 for further repairs. One item being the optional DVD/Home Theater not only not working, the darn thing isn't even hooked up! Moral of the story, shame on me being in a hurry and trusting the dealer that everything was done right the first time. See post in Georgetown MH section for complete experience. Good Luck, enjoy the new RV!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Moral of the story, shame on me being in a hurry and trusting the dealer that everything was done right the first time.
Ouch

Great lesson for the rest of us, though.

Good luck with everything, Sherman.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #17

Dealer has become very good at trying to get everything right and things are looking very positive. Thanks Triguy
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote