RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #61

Spray your clothes with a tick spray that contains permethrin. Hang the clothes outside and spray them. Let them dry completely before wearing. The treatment will last thru multiple washings. I used this when turkey hunting which involves being concealed in bushes etc. Never had a tick on me and have sat in the woods for hours.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
My deceased DW swore by Avon Skin So Soft, I just checked... guess what is in it? Picaridin!
I'm just retired from the New York State Conservation Dept. and the forest rangers use Skin-So-Soft as an insect repellent. I, myself, have a couple of bottles in my camper.
CNovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Never tested it, but I've always thought about strapping Flea and Tick collars to my pant legs.
This is what we did in Afghanistan and it works.
Foxtrot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #64

I never used anything until I got a flat on our motorhome outside of Paducah five years ago. I got nabbed, and now suffer from chronic Lyme. Tested three times before I got a positive result.

I agree with the pemetherin and deeet. Ticks don't need 24 hours to transmit. I only had mine attached for about four hours. I happened to have malaria at the same time, and it killed the ticks while still attached.
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot24 View Post
This is what we did in Afghanistan and it works.
WOW !! thanks for the feedback !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #66

Flamethrower
dianeotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #67

Clothing Color

In addition to the sprays and other ways to deal with ticks, wear light colored clothing. You can spot the ticks easier and brush them away before bringing them into your RV
cabjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47driver View Post
I never used anything until I got a flat on our motorhome outside of Paducah five years ago. I got nabbed, and now suffer from chronic Lyme. Tested three times before I got a positive result.

I agree with the pemetherin and deeet. Ticks don't need 24 hours to transmit. I only had mine attached for about four hours. I happened to have malaria at the same time, and it killed the ticks while still attached.
I found a tick attached last spring. It could have been on +24hr, I wasn't sure. Started feeling aches in shoulders and elbows within just a couple of days. Went to the doc, but on short notice got a second stringer, and he said take the test since I did not have a bullseye. I had done some internet research and I said give me the antibiotics. He said if you take the anitbotics it will screw up the test. OK, I took the test and it was negative. Still felt poorly and had the aches. I went back and said give me the antibiotics. Doc says you could wait and take the test again in a month if you don't feel better. ARE YOU OUT of YOUR MIND? I can feel something going on. Its just Doxycycline, they use that stuff on kids with acne, and side effects are minimal. He gave me the antibiotics. Very soon I felt better. Lyme disease if treated early is usually very easily wiped out, if you wait you could have major problems. Many docs today are reading about antibiotic overuse and are trying to cut back. Some are making poor choices.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #69

Uck. I feel so fortunate to live here in the pacific northwest.

Ram2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #70

I use a recipe of essential oils to spray us and our dog when we go out. The poisons mentioned are equally harmful to us and I have been working hard to eliminate those and improve our health and immune systems. Our dog is allergic to the usual preventative measures, so I came upon this for her, first. It's not foolproof, but better than the alternative sprays for us.
BnBcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnBcampin View Post
I use a recipe of essential oils to spray us and our dog when we go out. The poisons mentioned are equally harmful to us and I have been working hard to eliminate those and improve our health and immune systems. Our dog is allergic to the usual preventative measures, so I came upon this for her, first. It's not foolproof, but better than the alternative sprays for us.
Could you share the recipe before I feel compelled to run out and buy out TSC and Avon?

Thank You.

As a novice Glamper, it still applies.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #72

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Worst Campground for ticks.

The worst campground for ticks I have ever been in is Jekyll Island RV
Campground in Georgia. The ground is covered with pine needles and the surrounding woods are over run with Racoons. I could just walk on the pine needles, my shoes would be covered with ticks. I have camped there one time.
Never again. my dog was cover with ticks just to do her business.

So if camping on Jekyll Island beware!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2019 41 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
Could you share the recipe before I feel compelled to run out and buy out TSC and Avon?

Thank You.
My recipe uses DoTerra essential oils. In a glass spray bottle, I put 40 drops TerraShield, and 20 drops of each of the following oils: Eucalyptus,Lemongrass, Geranium, Rosemary, Clove Bud, and Spearmint. Top off with Distilled water and shake before each use. I make smaller batches too and use empty Essential oil bottles and small sprayers to carry with me on my person or in my purse (to picnics, hikes, neighbors yards, etc.) I spray my dog before we go out on walks and so far it's been effective.
BnBcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #74

I have used Vet's Best Flea + Tick Home Spray. It's made with peppermint oil and some other oils but it really just smells like cloves. What I like is it's not toxic.

For my cats, I spray them directly and then rub it in the fur. It gets a little foamy like shampoo for just a bit and then dries up. After about a day or so the peppermint smell (which I kind of like anyway) subsides but the stuff works for weeks. They are cats so they hate being sprayed but after the initial sulking period they don't care.

For me, I spray it on my shoes and on my legs, pants and socks below the knees to kill anything that comes from the ground or floor. I spray my hat and even my neck and head sometimes.

I sometimes visit family with dogs near the Lake of the Ozarks and the fleas used to eat me while I was in bed sleeping. Now I spray the sheets and the floor of the room when I get there and don't have any problems.

I've seen fleas and spiders die upon contact with this stuff. It kills ticks also. You can spray your car and not be afraid of inhaling bad chemicals. I spray all the places the cats like to hang out inside the house.
abehil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #75

Tuck your pants in your boots and wrap duct tape around the top of your boots, sticky side out. Any tick that tries to walk up your leg will get stuck on the tape. I've done it, it works.
Jodilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #76

This is too ugly a solution for campgrounds etc. My son has a rural property in Manitoba Canada where we occasionally do primitive camping. Ticks in June and July are everywhere! We like to walk on trails he has created on the property so what I do before hiking is wrap the bottom of my jeans with inside-out duct tape from the top of my hiking boots half way to my knees. Ticks then get stuck on the masking tape and NEVER make it onto my body. When we return the tape get removed and tossed into a fire. Works great but looks pretty ugly.
math guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by math guy View Post
This is too ugly a solution for campgrounds etc. My son has a rural property in Manitoba Canada where we occasionally do primitive camping. Ticks in June and July are everywhere! We like to walk on trails he has created on the property so what I do before hiking is wrap the bottom of my jeans with inside-out duct tape from the top of my hiking boots half way to my knees. Ticks then get stuck on the masking tape and NEVER make it onto my body. When we return the tape get removed and tossed into a fire. Works great but looks pretty ugly.
Very innovative....I like that !
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #78

Ticks

Ticks have a lot of lore, some false and some simply mistaken.
Using duct tape sticky side out is a great idea, but one should remember that ticks are found at all levels of the brush one passes through. One can pick up ticks simply brushing past a bush with one's shoulders, or arms, and they can drop on you from above.
There is a belief that the tiny ones (the larvae, also known as "Seed Ticks") are the ones that cause the infection of Lyme Disease. True but not for the reason one thinks. They are not the only carriers, nor are they more virulent, They are simply so tiny they can remain unnoticed until they have their fill of a blood meal, and drop off, after having regurgitated bacteria laden saliva. Easy to miss, since they are so small, so one can be infected and never know they had been bitten.
DEET still remains the repellent of choice, with some techniques being more effective that others. Of course, any DEET product at all is better than none, but pre-spraying cotton clothing before wearing and putting them in a paper sack over nigh, paying attention to cuffs, wait bands, collars sleeve cuffs and shirt tails, is the single most effective method for deterrent.
Avoid 100% DEET on children, or smaller animals.
Arm Band repellent is actually not very effective. Don't use dog collar anti-insect bands on kids.Ever.
Of all the methods of removal, only one has been shown to be best and most effective for removal. All else (twisting, matches, Vicks, gas, etc) are less or un-effective. Simply grasp the tick by it's body using a tweezer, and pull directly out in the opposite direction of insertion. Do not twist, or pull over backwards, as this will break off the head, and leave a body part under the skin to get secondarily infected.
Possibility of transmission of the Spirochette, Burrelia Burgdorferi, is increased by length of time attached. 24 hours almost certainly guarantees transmission if the insect is infected.
Formerly found only in the East, Lyme disease (first identified in Lyme, Connecticut due to a woman from there who presented with a cluster of unusual symptoms now recognized as advanced Lyme disease), the disease is pretty wide spread in the US. A second Spirochette Burrelia Mayonii also transmits the disease.
Besides a solid and repeated spraying of insect repellent, it is important to do a. thorough inspection of each other and the kids after a day outside. Look everywhere, including all creases folds and cracks. A missed tick smaller than the head of a pin can mean all the difference.
The typical rash (bull eye or target sign) occurs from 3 days to a month after inoculation.
For further information regarding the disease itself, please consult your physician, or review Wikipedia, or the Mayo Clinic article.
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Ticks have a lot of lore, some false and some simply mistaken.

Using duct tape sticky side out is a great idea, but one should remember that ticks are found at all levels of the brush one passes through. One can pick up ticks simply brushing past a bush with one's shoulders, or arms, and they can drop on you from above.

There is a belief that the tiny ones (the larvae, also known as "Seed Ticks") are the ones that cause the infection of Lyme Disease. True but not for the reason one thinks. They are not the only carriers, nor are they more virulent, They are simply so tiny they can remain unnoticed until they have their fill of a blood meal, and drop off, after having regurgitated bacteria laden saliva. Easy to miss, since they are so small, so one can be infected and never know they had been bitten.

DEET still remains the repellent of choice, with some techniques being more effective that others. Of course, any DEET product at all is better than none, but pre-spraying cotton clothing before wearing and putting them in a paper sack over nigh, paying attention to cuffs, wait bands, collars sleeve cuffs and shirt tails, is the single most effective method for deterrent.

Avoid 100% DEET on children, or smaller animals.

Arm Band repellent is actually not very effective. Don't use dog collar anti-insect bands on kids.Ever.

Of all the methods of removal, only one has been shown to be best and most effective for removal. All else (twisting, matches, Vicks, gas, etc) are less or un-effective. Simply grasp the tick by it's body using a tweezer, and pull directly out in the opposite direction of insertion. Do not twist, or pull over backwards, as this will break off the head, and leave a body part under the skin to get secondarily infected.

Possibility of transmission of the Spirochette, Burrelia Burgdorferi, is increased by length of time attached. 24 hours almost certainly guarantees transmission if the insect is infected.

Formerly found only in the East, Lyme disease (first identified in Lyme, Connecticut due to a woman from there who presented with a cluster of unusual symptoms now recognized as advanced Lyme disease), the disease is pretty wide spread in the US. A second Spirochette Burrelia Mayonii also transmits the disease.

Besides a solid and repeated spraying of insect repellent, it is important to do a. thorough inspection of each other and the kids after a day outside. Look everywhere, including all creases folds and cracks. A missed tick smaller than the head of a pin can mean all the difference.

The typical rash (bull eye or target sign) occurs from 3 days to a month after inoculation.

For further information regarding the disease itself, please consult your physician, or review Wikipedia, or the Mayo Clinic article.

Very informative. Thanks.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehil View Post
I have used Vet's Best Flea + Tick Home Spray. It's made with peppermint oil and some other oils but it really just smells like cloves. What I like is it's not toxic.

For my cats, I spray them directly and then rub it in the fur. It gets a little foamy like shampoo for just a bit and then dries up. After about a day or so the peppermint smell (which I kind of like anyway) subsides but the stuff works for weeks. They are cats so they hate being sprayed but after the initial sulking period they don't care.

For me, I spray it on my shoes and on my legs, pants and socks below the knees to kill anything that comes from the ground or floor. I spray my hat and even my neck and head sometimes.

I sometimes visit family with dogs near the Lake of the Ozarks and the fleas used to eat me while I was in bed sleeping. Now I spray the sheets and the floor of the room when I get there and don't have any problems.

I've seen fleas and spiders die upon contact with this stuff. It kills ticks also. You can spray your car and not be afraid of inhaling bad chemicals. I spray all the places the cats like to hang out inside the house.

From my understanding, peppermint is toxic for canines so you should check with your vet before you use it on a pet.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote