RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggw View Post
If/when you pull one off put it in a note book of some sort under clear tape. Write date time and location. Then if you get sick show it to your doctor. Lyme disease and other tick related stuff is sometimes difficult to diagnose.
As a medical professional I think that is a great idea! I just got back from a trip to the Wildlife Preserve and had 2 of the damn things on me. After a career in the Army, I've had hundreds of them on me over the years!
tankman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #82

Angry allergy carried by ticks

In addition to the well known problems with ticks there is another growing problem that I have seen little to no mention of previously.
Lone star ticks are carriers of "Alpha-gal Syndrome" the name of a food allergy to the meat of mammals. Google it and you will be shocked at its implications, as well as the fact this allergy, or auto-immune disorder, is becoming more and more common.
Last week a friend of ours helped us clear some of the downed trees from Hurricane Michael. He found a tick the next day and removed it. Two days ago he ate a big meal of venison and a few hours later was covered in itching blisters and was having breathing problems. He had had this syndrome 10 years ago and recovered from it after a couple of years, but is now once again subject to it because of the recent tick bites. No more mammal meat for the foreseeable future, and perhaps no milk or cheese. Hopefully it will subside for him as this is a miserable way to live. And it can be deadly. I told a mutual friend of ours about this and he said another friend of his had also recently come down with this.
Please be aware and use your tick repellant.
By the way, the allergic reaction is not immediate, rather it appears several hours after eating red meat. See this website for more info
https://www.alphagalva.com/
PipeDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeDream View Post
Lone star ticks are carriers of "Alpha-gal Syndrome" the name of a food allergy to the meat of mammals. See this website for more info
https://www.alphagalva.com/

Dear friend of mine has this and it makes it very difficult to eat out anywhere just due to how restaurants prep & cook their foods. Going on 5+ yrs of reactions for her....
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #84

My 25 y/o grandson has it. No clue if it came from ticks, as he's had it most of his life. Very difficult diet to deal with. It has even impacted his chances of "finding a girlfriend"........it will be a lot of work for a woman to deal with. But he is full anaphylactic on any beef.....but he CAN eat venison. So, I've always tried to get him some venison.....now he gets his own sometimes.

But it's serious as all get out.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #85
Usually Confused Member

Strange as it may be but I’ve never had a problem with ticks (hope I didn’t just jinx myself). I’ve never used any of the preventative measures y’all have mentioned. In fact I refuse to take any medicine stronger than a Goodys powder, and would never consider spraying chemicals on my clothing.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
From my understanding, peppermint is toxic for canines so you should check with your vet before you use it on a pet.
The Vet's Best Flea + Tick Home Spray has the following information on the front label:

"Made with Peppermint Oil and Eugenol"
"Kills Fleas, Flea Eggs & Ticks Repels Mosquitoes For Dogs & Home"

There is also a picture of a dog printed on the label. On the back it says:

"For dogs 12 weeks or older. Lightly spray dog's entire coat until damp, not dripping. Cover the entire coat including legs, tail and stomach. Massage into coat until the product reaches the skin."

I bought mine from the local veterinary (pet hospital) for my pets.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #87
Outdoorsman

You can use medicated lice shampoo as a body wash prior to hiking/camping. It is safe for skin (keep out of eyes) and will prevent ticks from burrowing. It repels and kills them. Healthier than high dose deet. I unfortunately got Lyme from a tick last year. Took DR almost 5 months for diagnosis after many expensive tests. If caught early (1 mo), antibiotics take care of it with little issue. If not, it is a life changer. Use the RID shampoo and lather all over with it. Permethrin in clothing is another great preventative. Remember to look for ticks around waistband, armpits, groin and hair.

Ram 4x4 5.7 Hemi 8 speed
Smokey46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #88

Avoid heavy brush in spring time near water. I went on a spring trip canoeing on the Sacramento River years ago. I found about 5 ticks on me and took 43 ticks off my dog. Now I paddle the big river in the fall.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Ticks have a lot of lore, some false and some simply mistaken.
Using duct tape sticky side out is a great idea, but one should remember that ticks are found at all levels of the brush one passes through. One can pick up ticks simply brushing past a bush with one's shoulders, or arms, and they can drop on you from above.
There is a belief that the tiny ones (the larvae, also known as "Seed Ticks") are the ones that cause the infection of Lyme Disease. True but not for the reason one thinks. They are not the only carriers, nor are they more virulent, They are simply so tiny they can remain unnoticed until they have their fill of a blood meal, and drop off, after having regurgitated bacteria laden saliva. Easy to miss, since they are so small, so one can be infected and never know they had been bitten.
DEET still remains the repellent of choice, with some techniques being more effective that others. Of course, any DEET product at all is better than none, but pre-spraying cotton clothing before wearing and putting them in a paper sack over nigh, paying attention to cuffs, wait bands, collars sleeve cuffs and shirt tails, is the single most effective method for deterrent.
Avoid 100% DEET on children, or smaller animals.
Arm Band repellent is actually not very effective. Don't use dog collar anti-insect bands on kids.Ever.
Of all the methods of removal, only one has been shown to be best and most effective for removal. All else (twisting, matches, Vicks, gas, etc) are less or un-effective. Simply grasp the tick by it's body using a tweezer, and pull directly out in the opposite direction of insertion. Do not twist, or pull over backwards, as this will break off the head, and leave a body part under the skin to get secondarily infected.
Possibility of transmission of the Spirochette, Burrelia Burgdorferi, is increased by length of time attached. 24 hours almost certainly guarantees transmission if the insect is infected.
Formerly found only in the East, Lyme disease (first identified in Lyme, Connecticut due to a woman from there who presented with a cluster of unusual symptoms now recognized as advanced Lyme disease), the disease is pretty wide spread in the US. A second Spirochette Burrelia Mayonii also transmits the disease.
Besides a solid and repeated spraying of insect repellent, it is important to do a. thorough inspection of each other and the kids after a day outside. Look everywhere, including all creases folds and cracks. A missed tick smaller than the head of a pin can mean all the difference.
The typical rash (bull eye or target sign) occurs from 3 days to a month after inoculation.
For further information regarding the disease itself, please consult your physician, or review Wikipedia, or the Mayo Clinic article.
Myth #5: Ticks fall from trees.
Fact: Ticks crawl up. If you find one on your head, it's because the tick crawled up your entire body and found a home there, not because it fell from a tree branch above you. Creepy as that sounds, it's important to know, says Mather.
Deer ticksóthe ones that carry Lyme diseaseóare not as aggressive as dog ticks, and they generally stop crawling whenever they find a clothing barrier, which is why you're likely to find them around your sock line, along your underwear line, and on the backs of your knees where your shorts stop. That's also why you'll be better protected against Lyme if you tuck in your shirt, tuck your pant legs into your socks, and find other ways to create clothing barriers they can't crawl past while you're in the woods.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #90

Ticks love pine needles.
Ticks are on almost any vegetation. Walk through the forest where they are and you'll brush some plant.

I want to know how Em-Dee avoids ticks, living in Georgia. Anywhere in the South, in the woods anywhere, you get them. They are all over my 1 acre yard, because of pine trees. The only thing I've found to keep them off of me is Permethrin. I spray the heck out of it, and I lived to a ripe old age.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Myth #5: Ticks fall from trees.
Fact: Ticks crawl up. If you find one on your head, it's because the tick crawled up your entire body and found a home there, not because it fell from a tree branch above you. Creepy as that sounds, it's important to know, says Mather.
Deer ticksóthe ones that carry Lyme diseaseóare not as aggressive as dog ticks, and they generally stop crawling whenever they find a clothing barrier, which is why you're likely to find them around your sock line, along your underwear line, and on the backs of your knees where your shorts stop. That's also why you'll be better protected against Lyme if you tuck in your shirt, tuck your pant legs into your socks, and find other ways to create clothing barriers they can't crawl past while you're in the woods.
So says you. Depends on the tick and the environment. Iíve literally seen ticks jump from brush on to me and my dog as we were walking on a trail. Granted it was only a couple feet away but, yes, they did jump, not fall.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Ticks love pine needles.
Ticks are on almost any vegetation. Walk through the forest where they are and you'll brush some plant.

I want to know how Em-Dee avoids ticks, living in Georgia. Anywhere in the South, in the woods anywhere, you get them. They are all over my 1 acre yard, because of pine trees. The only thing I've found to keep them off of me is Permethrin. I spray the heck out of it, and I lived to a ripe old age.
I'm with you, Bill. How does Em-Dee avoid ticks in Georgia. Ticks are everywhere in GA! Somebody mentioned that Jekyll Island was so bad, but I've stayed there dozens of times and found it to be no worse than any other wooded campground that I've been in. Last year I found a tick on me here in Arkansas and I couldn't remember being anywhere that ticks might be. Then I remembered, I walked about 15 feet through short grass to my shed and back. That's all it took!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #93
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Ticks love pine needles.

I cannot explain why but apparently thereís something about me that ticks donít like. I have seen them on my pants after cutting grass but they never attach to my skin. Just lucky I guess.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I cannot explain why but apparently thereís something about me that ticks donít like. I have seen them on my pants after cutting grass but they never attach to my skin. Just lucky I guess.
I wish I had that problem!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post

My dad took heart medicines...ticks nor mosquitos bothered him. As he said.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #96
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I certainly donít take heart medicine. I do not take any medicine of any type and have no plans to start.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #97

People need to realize that ticks carry some dangerous diseases like Lyme Disease and RM Fever. I have known some career outdoor people with Lyme Disease and they could never get rid of it. Spray and chemicals are fine. Try to stay out of brush more a foot or two high especially in spring time. Get in the habit of checking for ticks.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

I take heart medicine.

I was riding on our farm with my daughter. I had told her about how mosquitoes love me. She had laughed at me.

We stopped somewhere and she started laughing. She was about 18 inches from me in the front seat. She had no mosquitoes. I could not talk because there were millions around me. My wife, who was raised on that farm, never has them bother her.

And we have not even BEGUN to discuss the little buggers that can eat mosquitoes AND ticks for breakfast...........CHIGGERS!!!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #99

Quote:
I take heart medicine.

I was riding on our farm with my daughter. I had told her about how mosquitoes love me. She had laughed at me.

We stopped somewhere and she started laughing. She was about 18 inches from me in the front seat. She had no mosquitoes. I could not talk because there were millions around me. My wife, who was raised on that farm, never has them bother her.

And we have not even BEGUN to discuss the little buggers that can eat mosquitoes AND ticks for breakfast...........CHIGGERS!!!!!

I am a magnet for all blood suckers.
I could be lying about which one he said did it. He had high blood pressure, atrial fib and diabetes. Bless his heart.

He took cumadin(sp) which is rat poison. That may have done it as it will kill people too.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #100

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We camped in the Tick infested park first weekend of April this year, below freezing at night. Ticks up and about early. Sand and grasses bad at Rondeau on Lake Erie, saw some on my pants. Our dog has Lymme disease, she picked up a tick in our backyard with snow drifts on the yard still. Have not seen one in the summer. The dog had one on her chin and I found a second middle back. She is doing just fine, they gave her several antibiotic treatments.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote