Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
Site Team

If you are in the woods, you can reduce your possibility of a bite with several methods ( as above) but sooner or later you will get one to attach. The removal item below is the one I have found to be easiest to use ( especially if you are alone) and has the least chance of increasing the danger of infection.
https://www.amazon.com/Ticked-Off-Pe.../dp/B00008434T

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:36 PM   #22

I've had Lyme disease twice, it's no fun and can really have varying and lasting effects on someone.

Good insect repellent and most importantly check yourself very well after being in tick areas. If I've been in the woods, doing yard work, etc, I don't wait to get cleaned up and change clothes. I'll shower, check for ticks, and change clothes as soon as possible.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson15 View Post
I figure the chemicals we spray on ourselves are more harmful.

I've had two this year on me. Pull it off with tweezers.
Even if you don’t smoke. Bum one light it and hover ovrt tick. He will back out long before you get burned
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #24

It’s my understanding that any of the tricks that force the tick to back out also increase the odds of it regurgitating and infecting you. I keep tick twisters everywhere, car, keychain, trailer, home. And yes, Canada DOES have ticks and tick-borne disease, sadly one of my dogs is proof. Anaplasmosis. I’ve finally gone to chemical repellent after years of trying to keep it natural...
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #25

Seresto dog collar has done a great job to keep ticks off of my small dog.
He was a tick magnet, 8-10 ticks a day walking him around the property. With The new collar ,1 tick a month max , major difference.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #26

Let me help y'all from the veterinary perspective.

Seresto collars do work but must be at the MOST 2 fingers off the neck or not enough contact to work. Bravecto is 3 month (but only 8-10 weeks for some ticks) as an oral product for dogs or topical product for cats. Credelio & Simparica are monthly oral flea & tick products for dogs. Revolution plus is monthly topical flea, tick, heartworm & intestinal parasites for cats.

Hands down best product (at this moment & currently for dogs only - although cat & human line are in the works) is Nexgard. Given monthly so far it is the only product that actually prevents the transmission of Lyme disease by killing quicker than anything else & actually has the FDA label for exactly that.

Really like the idea of collecting any ticks you find & identifying them ... here is a good link for that: https://capcvet.org/guidelines/ticks/

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post

Seresto collars do work but must be at the MOST 2 fingers off the neck or not enough contact to work. Bravecto is 3 month (but only 8-10 weeks for some ticks) as an oral product for dogs or topical product for cats. Credelio & Simparica are monthly oral flea & tick products for dogs. Revolution plus is monthly topical flea, tick, heartworm & intestinal parasites for cats.

Hands down best product (at this moment & currently for dogs only - although cat & human line are in the works) is Nexgard. Given monthly so far it is the only product that actually prevents the transmission of Lyme disease by killing quicker than anything else & actually has the FDA label for exactly that.

Really like the idea of collecting any ticks you find & identifying them ... here is a good link for that: https://capcvet.org/guidelines/ticks/

Hmmmm. Can we take it too??[emoji6]
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 PM   #28

they are working on it! Most of us are asking the same thing!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post

For the DOGS--In my experience, Bravecto is the most effective product I have ever tried for any problem. My corgi had 15 to 25 new ticks every day, and once had 49 on one day. Her fur is so thick and fine it took me 2 hours a day to remove them. ONE Bravecto pill--> NO TICKS FOR 18 MONTHS. When the 3-month time came for a new dose, I decided she would get a new pill when she produced a new tick. She now gets one pill every 15 to 25 months.

If Nexguard is better, it must be amazing.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #30

Lots of great information getting posted...Thanks to ALL !!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:49 AM   #31

I agree, ticks use to love me. Started using this spray, ticks are no longer feeling the love!
Jhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 AM   #32

In addition to spraying your clothes, you might consider wearing a hat.
While walking through the woods, I felt one fall onto my hair. Luckily, I got it off quickly before it got on my skin. So now we wear broad rimmed hats when walking in the woods.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 AM   #33

You could always try wearing a Seresto collar. Just kidding, but these collars work miracles for keeping ticks and fleas away from my bird dogs. I can take them into the densest, most tick-laden areas of field and brush and ticks won’t have anything to do with them.

Bruce
Old 04-26-2019, 05:25 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You could always try wearing a Seresto collar. Just kidding, but these collars work miracles for keeping ticks and fleas away from my bird dogs. I can take them into the densest, most tick-laden areas of field and brush and ticks won’t have anything to do with them.

Bruce
I've thought about strapping those collars around my pant legs at the ankle.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #35

I just wander around, no chemicals or other magic; If I wind up with a hitchhiker I get rid of it.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #36

I picked up a hitch hiker while walking the trails in Santa Cruz. I'm pretty sure it was less than 2 hours after it grabbed on that i found it - on one of my "love handles". I used tweezers to try and carefully remove it. About 2 months later I still had an itchy bump at the location where he grabbed on. I got tested for Lyme disease and it came up negative (thankfully). However, it took another month of hot compresses with Epsom Salt to get that bump to go away. I actually found a couple of tick bits migrating their way out.

Not a fan of ticks...
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:54 PM   #37

Three mistakes the Lord made.

Ticks. Fire ants. Mosquitos.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Three mistakes the Lord made.

Ticks. Fire ants. Mosquitos.

No mistakes.

Just gentle reminders that this place ain't The Place.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #39
Commercial Member

My little dog seems to pick them up like magnets....then comes and sits next to me. So far, I've found about 3-4 crawling on me, one in December. We have deer THICK though. We use NEXguard on her, they bite and die. I'd rather them stay on her, but seem to navigate towards me once she brings them in.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:21 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I've thought about strapping those collars around my pant legs at the ankle.

These comments about wearing collars made me laugh. But, also made me think.