Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Time to Cover My Travel Trailer

This will be our first winter owning a travel trailer. We live in Salt Lake City and decided to purchase an ADCO Dupont Tyvek cover. I was reading the simple instructions and it says to wash my RV before putting on the cover to prevent black streaks.
1) What's this about black streaks? My trailer is just a little dusty from sitting out next to the house. Is a wash job really required?
2) Is the roof of my new 2016 22' trailer really strong enough that I can gently walk or crawl on it with damage?

Ted
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Strong Roof

I just purchased a 2016 XLR Thunderbolt with a 3/4" Plyboard roof. Yes I can walk on mine (BUT) I also weigh 265 pounds so when I do get on roof I walk bare footed with socks and slide around real easy. I also walk close the edge as much as possible or at the strong points. I don't like walking on the roof cause you never know if you are going to create a weak point. As far as your roof follow all manufactures instruction first. I owned a Dutchmen 2008 and I could NOT walk on the roof.

Tim Coltrain
Tim Coltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Think about a cover grinding dust and dirt into the finish all winter. Also once the inside of the cover is dirty it acts like sandpaper to marr the finish.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Wash the roof and trailer. Wax the trailer. I always did this before putting the cover on. Like others have said. Keeps the dirt and dust from sanding away at your finish and come spring when you take the cover off, it is nice, clean and still freshly waxed.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Just put my T.T. up for the winter, today. It is very important to wash your unit as the one post stated. You don't really want to have your cover over any dirt on your unit. Most important is the top, make sure to clean and remove all leaves, dirt, ect. My advise is to put it to bed like a child...CLEAN! It is a investment. Oh yeah, I have the same cover on my unit, nice choice. I was told a good rule of thumb is if the factory installed a ladder then the roof can be walked on, otherwise I would be careful as mentioned by others.
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #6

Place some foam or bubble wrap taped around the 4 sharp pointed corner rain spouts. otherwise next spring you will have holes in cover from the wind.
Utah Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

The cover mentioned above comes with rain guard covers also. The old saying get what you pay for applies.
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #8

After washing and waxing, I use tennis ball's with a little slit cut into them to put over the drain spouts. My cover's documents say it is reinforced at the corners for this but I know my neighbor's rig has the same cover and reinforcments and he has not used the tennis balls and his drain spouts have torn the cover. He is trying to figure out how he can use it this year with some kind of fix. Use the tennis balls and it will save you a lot of consternation.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

My ADCO cover came with rain spout covers. They look like those little mittens you see of dog sled dogs. Do you think these will be suficient or should I go with tennis balls. The tennis ball idea sound pretty dang good.
Ted
tgduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Yes:: keep the unit as clean as possible before covering. We had the Walmart drain spouts added to the original drains and we removed them prior to putting the cover on. They are easy to snap on next season. Also last year the Anti bellow parts that are on the slides worn thru the cover. Even with the mittens on them. This year we took them off so should not have a problem with wear this year.
Bot one of the biggest things I ran into was walking on the roof with part of the cover on. Firstly the roof will support weight but "crawl" around on it , do not walk. I just put my foot thru the sky lite on the bath room so now we need a new sky lite this next season. Fortunately our Elements Tyvec cover is water proof so no issues over the winter with a broken sky lite.

Brandon2
2014 Sun Seeker 2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

We purchased an Elements cover for our rig from Camping World. Also purchased the extended warranty which allows for ANYTHING happening to the cover including wind damage, rips & tears and a free replacement within the first 3 years. It came with the rain-spout covers, but we used Duct tape and the covers provided. This cover fits nicely and there is little to no 'play' when it is windy. We wash & wax the unit before covering. Being in California the cover is really never on for more than a month at a time. We fold the cover inside-out on the driveway, then roll it up from back-to-front. When we want to use the cover, we simply unroll the cover on the roof front-to-back, unfold the cover dropping it down the sides of the unit as we go, then use the straps provided to secure the cover under the trailer. Really not too much trouble, our trailer is only 17' so that helps making things less difficult. There are several zippers on the side which allows us to get to the door of the trailer without uncovering it. Sure beats building a garage for keeping the suns rays off of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161119_153003524_HDR.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	126240  

Tags
cover, trailer, travel, travel trailer