Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #1

Tips on getting the hose clear

Propane hose line is 20 plus feet. Hose not being used for months makes my heater hard to light. It's a free standing unit that works great, I feel like the hose gets a vacuum an won't let the gas flow. Any tips
Rickhise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhise View Post
Propane hose line is 20 plus feet. Hose not being used for months makes my heater hard to light. It's a free standing unit that works great, I feel like the hose gets a vacuum an won't let the gas flow. Any tips
You will not get a vacuum. At 20' and depending on the diameter of the hose, it may take a bit to purge the air out of the line. Or a bad regulator.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 AM   #3

Open the windows and the vent fan. Open all the stove burners, once you smell the gas close all the burners and wait a minute or two so the gas clears. Then start one burner and try to light it, it will still take a minute to light usually. Once the stove lights most of the gas line will be purged.

Try your heater, it may still take a few times to light but the stove will purge it out quickest.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Broken Toe

I get a long fireplace match, open all the stove burners on high and CONTINUALLY try to light one of the burners. You will notice the escaping air blowing around the flame off the fireplace match, but eventually you will get enough gas to sorta light the burner. It usually will stay barely lit, maybe halfway around.

Once you get to that point, IMMEDIATELY close the burners you are not trying to light and keep the one you are on. Let it run till you get a nice, solid, steady flame out of it. That will purge the lions share of the lines, and the water heater, furnace and fridge will usually self-ignite soon after.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:45 AM   #5

I usually attempt to light one burner on the stove, takes a little while before it lights. Then I light the other burners. Once they are all burning smoothly, I flip the switch for the hot water heater, or put the fridge on gas if needed. They will usually kick right off since the line has been pretty much purged of air.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote