Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
Site Team

Tractor Supply propane app

One of my peeves with getting propane cylinders refilled at my local Tractor Supply is having to walk all the way inside and find someone to notify that a customer needs assistance at the refill tank. The cashier is usually busy and it takes a bit to get them to do it.

When I was leaving there awhile ago I noticed this new sign that lets you use their app to get someone to come refill it.

Just passing along the info. Let me know if you use such and how it worked for you.Click image for larger version

Name:	20221016_160732.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	280519

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Team

I downloaded their app and the propane refill option is indeed on the home screen. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221016-164743_Tractor%20Supply.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	280523

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
One of my peeves with getting propane cylinders refilled at my local Tractor Supply is having to walk all the way inside and find someone to notify that a customer needs assistance at the refill tank. The cashier is usually busy and it takes a bit to get them to do it.

When I was leaving there awhile ago I noticed this new sign that lets you use their app to get someone to come refill it.

Just passing along the info. Let me know if you use such and how it worked for you.Attachment 280519
Thanks for this. We leave home soon and spend 7 months on the road. We use TSC almost always for our propane needs.
I'm DLing the app I write this.

Just hoping they use it at all the TSC locations.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1673
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #4
Defender of America

Have you seen the commercials for Home Depot to download their app so you can locate products in the store?

I have noticed 2 things with this.
1 - There doesn't seem to be hardly any staff on the floor now to help customers.
2 - Constant adds and texts from Home Depot. Especially when I'm near the store. (Can you say stalker!?)

Not saying Tractor Supply does the same because I didn't download their app. And we do have a store in town.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #5

I've been using the TSC app to get propane for about 8 months. Works great for me at my hometown TSC store. Attendant shows up within 2 minutes to refill the tank in my class A.

The Home Depot app works extremely slow at the closest HD to me. May be poor cell connectivity inside the store, but it is sluggishly slow. I have to open the app while in the parking lot before entering the store to have it fully loaded and ready to use by the time I'm exiting. I have 2 bars showing for connectivity inside.

2018 FR3 29DS
TOAD - 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
zipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #6

Are they selling propane by the gallon or "tank." Local hardware store where I used to live charged by the tank -- and wondered why they sold to little of it.

-- Chuck
Old 10-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #7
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Are they selling propane by the gallon or "tank." Local hardware store where I used to live charged by the tank -- and wondered why they sold to little of it.

-- Chuck
TSC is by the gallon.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1673
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #8

Thanks. Good to know.

-- Chuck
Old 10-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipmart View Post
I've been using the TSC app to get propane for about 8 months. Works great for me at my hometown TSC store. Attendant shows up within 2 minutes to refill the tank in my class A.

The Home Depot app works extremely slow at the closest HD to me. May be poor cell connectivity inside the store, but it is sluggishly slow. I have to open the app while in the parking lot before entering the store to have it fully loaded and ready to use by the time I'm exiting. I have 2 bars showing for connectivity inside.
You can always hook to HD’s wifi. They have a guest connection as do most big box stores these days.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #10

Our local Tractor Supply was selling for $3.85 per gallon 10/19/22. Wish I had a bigger tank!
Here lies dead and hard,
the last damn dog
that pooped in my yard
Silver Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:09 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipmart View Post

I stopped by TSC on my way home this evening to get a 20lb cylinder refilled in preparation for Thanksgiving. I had planned to try the app to get an attendant, but she was already outside refilling another customers cylinders.

I struck up a conversation with her, and asked if the app did work. She said it did, and when someone uses the app, it calls her and and she gets a message in her earpiece that a customers needs assistance at the propane refill.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:58 AM   #12

I just did this the other day. I called the TSC prior to heading out because there were reviews about store I was headed to that mentioned that they didn't always have someone on hand trained in doing refills. I was told I could come by any time that day and would be fine. I pulled up to the gate by the refill station, fired up the app, selected Request Refill and kept getting a message that it looked like I wasn't there yet and was 5 miles away. I never did get it to work but called the number to the store and a guy came right out and took care of me. Only thing I can think of is that maybe I was supposed to select In Store mode? I didn't see that until after I was done and had left. At least calling the store number worked well.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:02 AM   #13
Site Team

Thanks to this thread I recently took a 20 Lb tank to my new local TS.
I parked at the gate to the LP which was locked and walked into the store.
I told the clerk I needed a tank filled and a guy met me outside in a couple minutes. I asked him about the app and he said he didn't know anything about it. He suggested I should just walk inside and ask next time as well.

Glad to know about TS selling LP as my "local" hardware store stopped selling it and the next closest is not very close at all and they charge a flat fee so if I ever wanted one of my 30 LB tanks filled I'd want it to be empty first. Glad to see TS sells by the gallon rather than a flat fee.

Side note- one of my 20 LB gas grill tanks was expired even tho it looked new and the hardware store told me he wouldn't fill it again. I took it to WalMart and traded it in on a Blue Rhino that had a 1 year old date stamped on it and it looked brand new! Score!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 05:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Thanks to this thread I recently took a 20 Lb tank to my new local TS.
I parked at the gate to the LP which was locked and walked into the store.
I told the clerk I needed a tank filled and a guy met me outside in a couple minutes. I asked him about the app and he said he didn't know anything about it. He suggested I should just walk inside and ask next time as well.

Glad to know about TS selling LP as my "local" hardware store stopped selling it and the next closest is not very close at all and they charge a flat fee so if I ever wanted one of my 30 LB tanks filled I'd want it to be empty first. Glad to see TS sells by the gallon rather than a flat fee.

Side note- one of my 20 LB gas grill tanks was expired even tho it looked new and the hardware store told me he wouldn't fill it again. I took it to WalMart and traded it in on a Blue Rhino that had a 1 year old date stamped on it and it looked brand new! Score!!
No training. Drives me crazy.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:39 AM   #15

I love an app!

I realize that apps are doing away with jobs but let's be honest....service ain't what it used to be. Most of the workers in Home Depot and Lowes are clueless. They can barely tell you where stuff is let alone help to solution something. Auto stores.....workers know hardly anything unlike the days of sitting at the NAPA counter on their stools (yes many of you remember those days!) you got an experienced person. Workers have terrible attitudes as well.

Yep....give me an app so I don't have to deal with that crap.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:45 AM   #16

Good to know about the app. Tractor Supply is a good one for propane on the road. Last time I stopped at one I was able to pay by card at the fill station. Convenient but often expensive. I’ve also been to a few Ace Hardware stores where you don’t need the app but there is a QR code at the propane station you scan. Just enter name a phone number and the employee gets a notification to come out to fill.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
I love an app!

I realize that apps are doing away with jobs
I don't think that's necessarily true. I think they are changing the roles of employees instead or in some cases even requiring places to hire *more* people.

I have the Wal-Mart app, I can order all my groceries online and they pay someone to shop for me and get all my stuff. Then I pull into their parking lot, let them know I'm there via the app and they pay someone to bring my stuff out and put it in my car. It's great.

My daughter works at a chain pizza store and she says she prefers when people order online or through the app because then it just pops up on her screen and she doesn't have to stop what she's doing to answer the phone or take the order in person. Especially when she's the only employee working in the store as often happens.

My other daughter works in a large box store and she uses their store app all the time to answer customer questions if she doesn't know where something is.

Plus you have to have people like me that design, create and maintain the apps themselves.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

Just passing along the info. Let me know if you use such and how it worked for you.Attachment 280519
The iExit app used to show propane prices at gas stations that had it — but I haven’t used it in years. Lately, we’ve been going to Costco for gas and propane — and I believe their app has propane prices listed. Only drawback is that sometimes Costco parks their propane fill station in the worst possible spot in their parking lot, but calling ahead, a manager usually will suggest a time when it’s best to come in, usually just after they open or within an hour of closing. I might also add that Tractor Supply usually has the worst prices for propane, often 75-80¢ per gallon higher than Chevron, ~40-45¢ higher than the big fleet gas stations like Love’s and Pilot.

Costco has consistently beaten almost everyone locally for gas, diesel, and propane prices in the American southwest.

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” — Albert Einstein
ChrisPBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBacon View Post
The iExit app used to show propane prices at gas stations that had it — but I haven’t used it in years. Lately, we’ve been going to Costco for gas and propane — and I believe their app has propane prices listed. Only drawback is that sometimes Costco parks their propane fill station in the worst possible spot in their parking lot, but calling ahead, a manager usually will suggest a time when it’s best to come in, usually just after they open or within an hour of closing. I might also add that Tractor Supply usually has the worst prices for propane, often 75-80¢ per gallon higher than Chevron, ~40-45¢ higher than the big fleet gas stations like Love’s and Pilot.

Costco has consistently beaten almost everyone locally for gas, diesel, and propane prices in the American southwest.
None of the Costcos near me seem to offer propane. Is there a way to check which ones offer it?
Old 05-28-2023, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
None of the Costcos near me seem to offer propane. Is there a way to check which ones offer it?
Edited response:
If you go on their app, select their 3-line symbol in the upper-left corner of the opening page: that brings up a menu of options; go to the bottom of the page to locations, which brings up a map; in the upper right hand corner, there’s the word “Filters”: tap on that; the last option is “Propane”. Select that, and it shows the pins on the map for all stores that offer propane.

I don’t know if Sam’s Club has propane, but they’re usually competitive with Costco.

Hope this answers your question.

“No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.” — Albert Einstein
ChrisPBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane